Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

StartMenu, Cortana, Task Bar Crash Loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silumor

silumor

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

Hi I'm currently experiencing the dreaded

Windows 10 Start Menu, Cortana, Task Bar Crash Loop

Can anyone point me to a fix that works for this or should I just bite down

and reinstall Windows 10

Problem is if I open Cortana, my Start menu that any APP that is currently open closes, then the task bar

start menu and Cortana crashes and restarts and it just does a crash loop every 5 min

maybe less

Edited by silumor, 05 October 2016 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hey Silumor, 

Can you explain a bit more what happened around the time the issues started? Did you update the system? Any hardware or software changes? As these can all help us better understand the condition your system is now in. Otherwise we will be giving you just very generic troubleshooting steps. 

If the issue started happening recently I would recommend launching a System Restore. System Restore is a way to undo system changes by using restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time without affecting personal files of users. System Restore uses a feature called system protection that regularly creates and saves information about your PC's drivers, programs, registry, system files, and settings as restore points. 

How To : Guide Perform a System Restore in Windows 10

The Start Menu and Cortana are features of Windows Specifically , so you may be looking at an issue with Windows itself. You can try repairing System Files with the DISM and SFC tool. 

Type the following command into the Command Prompt window and press Enter to run a full system scan
" sfc /scannow " Without the Quotes 
Note: You’ll need to do this from and Administrator Command Prompt window. To open one on Windows 10 or 8.1, right-click the Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”. On all versions of Windows, you can also search the Start menu for Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as Administrator.

On Windows 10, 8.1, and 8, the Deployment Image & Servicing Management tool can fix component store corruption that prevents the SFC command from working properly. To run this command, open a Command Prompt as administrator. Type the following command and press Enter. DISM will check your Windows component store for corruption and automatically fix any problems it finds.

" DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth " Without Quotes 

Allow the command to finish running before closing the Command Prompt window. This may take five to ten minutes. It’s normal for the progress bar to stay at 20 percent for a while, so don’t worry about that.

Please Post the Logs of the Repairs so we can see how they Span and What they Find. If it seems necessary , someone may create a repair from your logs that can help as well. Thanks. 

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#3 silumor

silumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

Well its a friend of mine Fathers PC I just looking at it for them.

I would Imagine they left it on and it updated.

I have ran into this problem before and most fixes I found don't work or make it worse.

No hardware changes, hard drive test fine memory test fine, no infections as far as I can tell.

Running dism and sfc now to see if it resolves any problems. When I asked what happened to it

they pretty much shrugged

Update:

Scf says no problems

Dism says not corruptions either

I believe the desktop (explorere.exe) is crashing every 2 min also

I figured it out checked event logs found that IDTNC64.CPL was causing the crash

uninstalled the sound driver that was incompatible with windows 10 and removed the file from windows/system32 fold

not boot up errors or crashes since.

Thanks for your suggestions

Edited by silumor, 05 October 2016 - 02:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users