Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC vs APPLE COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Bull6791

Bull6791

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

When buying a new computer what would be better to buy a PC or an APPLE computer because they are less susceptible to viruses.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:00 PM

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5285635?tstart=0

I'd like to know...how you got the idea that "less susceptible" can be taken seriously :).  What does that mean?

In any case...if that's your sole criteria...I think that you are misunderstanding computer systems,users, and malware.

Louis

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

Macintoshes are not less susceptible to malware. They are less likely to get a virus because there is so little viruses for Mac OS in the wild.

There are numerous reasons to choose a Mac over a PC and vice-versa. Is security (viruses and malware) your chief concern for getting a Mac?

#4 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Yes, security would be one of my main reasons for getting an apple computer.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

Yes, security would be one of my main reasons for getting an apple computer.

If security is your concern, then getting an Apple means paying quite a bit for security. If you want to be totally safe, on any platform, you need the know-how and the right software. They do make antivirus/malware software for Mac OS, as well as firewalls, and various other security orientated software for mac, like updaters.

All because Mac OS has a history of being more secure than Windows, does not mean it is 100% secure, or way more secure than Windows itself. Recently people have discovered numerous flaws in Mac OS that violate the security of the OS. They have been patched, but there could be more flaws out there waiting to be discovered. Windows does have more reported security issues than Mac OS, but that is because it is more widely used, and therefore targeted by virus makers/hackers, etc.

If you want to be secure on your computer, the first step is education. The most secure computer in the world can be destroyed by a single user who knows nothing about security.

#6 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

GORBULAN: what kind of computer do you have and what operating system.
Thanks.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:22 PM

At home I have all Windows PC's, currently. At work I use a Mac and a PC. Someday I will find a reason to put a Mac in my home.

#8 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:39 AM

New computer: what should I look for or what features should I get when buying a new computer.
Thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

Generally...I would say...price, features, warranty, ease of use...and careful consideration of why you even want a computer.  The latter will help you determine features desireable and then you can research the range of pricing for a system meeting your needs/wants.

Desktops versus laptop/tablet would be my first major consideration before I went into research too deeply.

Louis

#10 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

What do you think go with windows pc or apple computer.
I am trying to get a feel for what people like better.
Thanks.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

I would never even consider a Mac.

I've been an owner of a PC since 1996...I find that they allow me to enjoy activities and learn more than I ever anticipated possible.

I'm an old guy and I go back to the days of the first computers which were huge, cost a great deal of money, and were only for institutions or entities with money to spend on capital improvements.  I saw PCs replace word processors and typewriters...and become available to clucks like me who aren't interested in anything more than enjoying life and learning from the experiences of others..

I've never seen anything to convince me that owning a Mac would improve upon my experiences with PCs...the snob appeal that a Mac might have for some...is wasted on me.  Whatever a Mac is supposed to do better than a PC...I did'nt get that message.  That being the case, I would never overpay for an item where there is no clear advantage to overpaying for A over B.

If you look up sales figures (either dollars or unit volumes) for each...you will find that the market is big enough for each...each has its own revenue streams and products.

Neither is "better" than the other, since they each cater to different markets.

Louis

#12 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:37 AM

External hard drive: what is the benefit of solid state over a regular external hard drive.

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:37 AM

Better is a relative term. As an example, a Mac would probably be better for a graphic designer or animator, a PC would be better for a machine shop. Those are just examples.

Before deciding on what platform to buy Bull6791, you must decide what you are going to use the computer for primarily. Then you can consider cost, warranty, type of computer, etc.

So what do you need a computer for?

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:51 AM

External hard drive: what is the benefit of solid state over a regular external hard drive.

"Regular" hard drives, when compared with SSD's, are cheap, but slow. SSD's are noticeably faster than hard drives, but they come at a much greater cost. Hard drives are also noisy, whereas SSD's are silent.

A 1 TB (1000 GB) hard drive is about $49.

A 120 GB SSD is $40, whereas a 1 TB SSD is $240-$310, depending on the model.

Basically, hard drives are old technology that will be obsolete soon enough. SSD's are new so they are expensive, but the prices are dropping everyday. A couple of months ago that 1 TB SSD I mentioned would have cost $400+.

#15 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

Gorbulan: that still does not tell me what a ssd is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users