Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

None found listed at download center more recent than May 2016

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:08 AM

Is this why maybe "Checking for Updates" never finishes, or that when Windows Update is opened or opens on its own, that it may tell the user, "All Up To Date"? or No New Updates Available?

I have been looking through this site, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/downloadsdrillinresults.aspx?FORM=DLC&ftapplicableproducts=%5e%22Windows%22&sortby=+weight&q=&first=337

page by page, and the most recent listings are from May 2016.  NOTHING more recent found so far.  We may be checking for updates and expecting to be told the list of updates available, but none have been issued.   No sense checking for updates which do not exist.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hi cafejose:

A description of updates released every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) are published in the Microsoft Security Bulletins at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/mt637780.aspx.  If you look at the Affected Software section of the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2016 (published 13-Sep-2016), for example, you will see two tables listing at least six critical or important Vista SP2 security updates that were released in September 2016.

Standalone update installers (.msu files) for Vista SP2 updates normally delivered by Windows Update are also posted on the Microsoft Download Center at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download after each Patch Tuesday.  For example, the standalone installer for KB3185319 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista: September 13, 2016) for 32-bit Vista SP2 is available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53778.  You must type the full KB number of the update you are searching for (e.g., KB3185319) on the Microsoft Download Center for the search to return the correct download links for both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista.  Here's a partial list of my search results at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=KB3185319&form=MSHOME:

Attached File  Microsoft Download Center Search KB3185319 Sep 2016.png   18.08KB   1 downloads

Several users in this forum have reported that they were able run Windows Update and patch their Vista SP2 machines after following the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours - see CurtimusPrime's 30-Sep-2016 thread windows updates are not working [vista sp2 32bit] for one example.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 05 October 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#3 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

Is this why maybe "Checking for Updates" never finishes, or that when Windows Update is opened or opens on its own, that it may tell the user, "All Up To Date"? or No New Updates Available?

Hi cafejose:

From post # 2 of CurtimusPrime's thread windows updates are not working [vista sp2 32bit]:

"Some users find that "Checking for updates..." will eventually run to completion if you let it run for several hours, but there is also a workaround posted on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ that speeds up Windows Update for most affected users."

If Windows Update is telling you that no further updates are available, did you re-boot your computer to complete the installation and then check to see if your September 2016 Patch Tuesday have already been delivered to your computer?

I've used Dalai's workaround to install my Patch Tuesday updates for the past four months.  My Vista SP2 OS was fully patched as of August 2016 so I visited Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ a few days after Microsoft released the September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates on 13-Sep-2016.  The new KB3185911 (MS16-106: Security Update for Microsoft Graphics Component: September 13, 2016) on Dalai's revised list was the only Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update that was missing from my system.  Once KB3185011 was manually installed (which took less than 5 min, including a system re-boot), Windows Update was able to find, download and install 10 additional important updates in about 40 minutes.  The KB numbers for the September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates that were installed by Windows Update are shown in the image below.

Attached File  WU September 2016 Patch Tuesday Updates.png   46.65KB   0 downloads

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 05 October 2016 - 07:34 PM.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

imarci,  this  

Standalone update installers (.msu files) for Vista SP2 updates normally delivered by Windows Update are also posted on the Microsoft Download Center at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download after each Patch Tuesday. 
download center and the links found there were keeping me in a never-ending loop of clicking on links to find the same links to click on and never finding a list of downloadable updates for Windows Vista.  

I will still check a few of the link addresses in your posting.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

imarci,

This may be useful, which you listed for me:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/mt637780.aspx

I will need to check through and try at least one of them, probably from June or July and tell you if anything worked.

No.  Not useful.  How can I find the list of Windows Updates that I need for Windows Vista, and download each of the ones I need and install them?  

I will have to read the kerelay site and look for anything I could  understand.

Edited by cafejose, 05 October 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

How can I find the list of Windows Updates that I need for Windows Vista, and download each of the ones I need and install them?  

I will have to read the kerelay site and look for anything I could  understand.

Hi cafejose:

Have you tried following the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours to see if you can get Windows Updates working again?  These instructions are based on Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ and will guide you through the process of finding and installing any Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates listed on Dalai's webpage that need to be installed on your computer to speed up Windows Update.

As of 13-Sep-2016 the required Win32K.sys updates listed on Dalai's webpage are: KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (rel. 12-Apr-2016); KB3164033 (rel. 14-Jun-2016); KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3185911 (rel. 13-Sep-2016).  You only have to install the Win32K.sys updates that are missing from your system, so if Windows Update hasn't run on your machine since May 2016 then STEP # 3 of the instructions in m#l's thread should show that KB3164033, KB3168965 and KB3185911 are the only Win32K.sys updates on Dalai's list that need to be installed.

If you use Internet Explorer 9 as your default browser and experience any problems downloading the .msu installers from the Microsoft Download Center (STEP # 4 of the instructions), try using an alternate browser like Firefox, or download the .msu installers to a USB stick from another computer (IE11 should work okay) and then transfer the files to your Vista desktop.  I don't know why, but several Vista SP2 users have reported problems using the Microsoft Download Center this month with their IE9 browser.

------------

Edited by lmacri, 05 October 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:19 AM

Clicking on the links in the list in wu.krelay.de/en  shows there is none for August 2016.  Strange seem to  me.

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:46 AM

Clicking on the links in the list in wu.krelay.de/en  shows there is none for August 2016.  Strange seem to  me.

Hi cafejose:

Nothing strange there.  Dalai's list of required updates are revised every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) after Microsoft releases a new Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update.  If this new Win32K.sys update replaces (supercedes) an older update, Dalai will remove the old KB number from his list and replace it with the new KB number for the latest version of the Win32K.sys driver.

The first line of Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ states "There's only one change to previous month due to September Patchday: KB3185911 replaces KB3177725."  KB3177725 (MS16-098: Description of the security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers: August 9, 2016) was removed from Dalai's list of required Win32K.sys updates in September 2016 because it has been superseded by KB3185911.

------------

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hi cafejose:

Nothing strange there.  Dalai's list of required updates are revised every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) after Microsoft releases a new Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update.  If this new Win32K.sys update replaces (supercedes) an older update, Dalai will remove the old KB number from his list and replace it with the new KB number for the latest version of the Win32K.sys driver.

The first line of Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ states "There's only one change to previous month due to September Patchday: KB3185911 replaces KB3177725."  KB3177725 (MS16-098: Description of the security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers: August 9, 2016) was removed from Dalai's list of required Win32K.sys updates in September 2016 because it has been superseded by KB3185911.

------------

I had to think about that for a while.  I plan to try to download the three KB's you indicated within about a day and to run their installer files.  

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:13 AM

Finally the updates for the last four months, done.  Process used was this:

Kept the site, wu.krelay.de/en, open for individually downloading each KB update.
Firefox was necessary, because Internet Explorer 9 was not doing anything when clicked the download button on the MS site.

Individually one by one, clicked the "Download" link for Vista for each KB-number.
Clicked the Download button on the arrived Microsoft page.
Done this for each of the three KB-numbers previously indicated.

Turned off Windows Update, and restarted computer.

Individually one by one, starting from the oldest and working toward the newest, double-clicked each KB- file, clicked to agree or OK, and let Windows Update Standalone Installer, run and when finished, clicke the Restart button in the dialog box.

NOTES:
Internet Explorer (version 9) was not responding to click on "Download" for either the krelay site nor the MS page, and in fact was showing some of the wrong pages for the information link from the krelay site.  Firefox was working well, just maybe slowly.  In fact, I E was exceedingly slow starting from the time I opened it.
A restore point was set before installing any of the newly downloaded KB Windows Updates.
The Restarts of the computer  after each update were taking a very long time, both on the "shutdown" part and on the "Up" part, with blank screen lasting also very very, very long times, like maybe 5 to 7 minutes each.

These updates to 32-bit Windows Vista:

<TABLE>
<TR>
   <TD>kb3164033</TD> <TD>june 14, 2016</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
   <TD>kb3168965</TD> <TD>july 12, 2016</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
    <TD>kb3185911</TD> <TD>sept 13, 2016</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

The bb code fails here no matter arrow symbols or square bracket symbols.

Edited by cafejose, 07 October 2016 - 02:52 AM.

#11 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

Finally the updates for the last four months, done.  Process used was this:

Hi cafejose:

It sounds like you're making good progress, but I'm not sure if you've actually finished the process.

Did you complete STEP # 6 of the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours and run a Windows Update to install your remaining updates?  Windows Updates have installed almost 40 security updates for Vista SP2, IE9, the Microsoft .NET Framework and MS Office 2007 on my machine over the months of June, July, August and September 2016 since I started using Dalai's workaround. 

Installing the Window kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates listed on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ only "tricks" Windows Update into running faster - it doesn't install all your missing updates for you.

I plan to try to download the three KB's you indicated within about a day and to run their installer files.

If you completed all the steps posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours, the initial "Checking for updates..." phase of Windows Update should finish in under one hour and be able to find the rest of your missing updates.  That assumes, of course, that you followed STEP # 3 of the instructions and confirmed that KB3164033, KB3168965 and KB3185911 were the only Win32K.sys updates on Dalai's current list that were missing from your system.

------------

Edited by lmacri, 07 October 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#12 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

Imacri

No, I did not do the Step #6 from m#l's thread.  I had earlier been too confused, finally followed what I could from the wu.krelay.de/en site, and only downloaded and installed the three updates KB3164033, KB3168965 and KB3185911 , so I guess that I need to now run Windows Update to Check for Updates.  I hope I have not omitted, without understanding, any steps in the sequence of the process.

so I guess-----(I cannot stop the "bold" font style here in this post...)

... so now I read or looked at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/updates-not-working-it-has-been-searching-for/92cd6922-17f6-4730-b46b-91a480b95dd3?auth=1  but I am still confused about all that.  I wanted to find one and just one list of things to do from start to finish so nothing be omitted in the process, but too much stuff is described there so I don't know if anything missing that I did between the parts that I did.  Meanwhile, the computer seems working well, but that was not the point of trying to get my  (mostlikely still inadequate ) Windows Updates.

Edited by cafejose, 07 October 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#13 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

... so now I read or looked at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/updates-not-working-it-has-been-searching-for/92cd6922-17f6-4730-b46b-91a480b95dd3?auth=1  but I am still confused about all that.  I wanted to find one and just one list of things to do from start to finish so nothing be omitted in the process, but too much stuff is described there so I don't know if anything missing that I did between the parts that I did.  Meanwhile, the computer seems working well, but that was not the point of trying to get my  (mostlikely still inadequate ) Windows Updates.

Hi cafejose:

Here's the short answer if you have a strong technical background and experience downloading and installing standalone update packages (.msu installers) from the Microsoft Download Center:

1. Install all the Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates listed on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ that are currently missing from your system.
  2. Run Windows Update to install the rest of your missing updates.

If you don't know how to install these standalone update packages or have problems following Dalai's instructions, the detailed step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours will guide you through the correct procedure.

------------

#14 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

(1)   Are those kb3164033, kb3168965, kb3185911, the "kernal mode drivers"?  The wu.krelay.de/en page did not mention "kernal mode drivers".

These three listed kb's are what I downloaded manually and ran installers for.

(2)  I am running Windows Update right now and been more than an hour, so I'm still waiting for Checking For Updates to (hopefully )  finish.

----

One of the postings indicates at least one of those is a "kernal mode driver":

From Windows Vista Hangs on Checking for Updates: 

Try following the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours and let us know if you run into any problems. Microsoft releases new Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates every month, so the only thing that changes in those instructions from month-to-month is the list of recommended Win32K.sys updates on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ (Step # 2).  As a general rule, Dalai's list is updated the second Tuesday of each month after Microsoft releases their Patch Tuesday updates.

Edited by cafejose, 08 October 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#15 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

See "NEW", below also.

Windows Update continues not to work, and left on its own, does not tell me that any updates were found to be available.  Is there a specific website which will show the Windows updates I still need from June, July, September, and October 2016?  

My machine:

Windows Vista Home Prem,. sp2

32-bit Windows

Internet Explorer 9

NEW:  After letting the computer spend time in two usage sessions, about 3 or 4 hours each, after more than maybe 3 hours through the second usage session, Windows Update finally showed itself on its own, and upon opening it (clicking the WU icon in tasktray), WU presented a list of 30 available updates, from which I declined just one of them, and took the others.

55 minutes to download and install 29 Windows Updates from issue dates June, July, AUGUST, and September 2016.

I really appreciate the patient help members have been trying to give , but now, what comes next?  (Two more days until the October updates to be available).

Edited by cafejose, 10 October 2016 - 05:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users