Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 defection

defection

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:06 AM

Hi guys!
My girlfriend has a PC which I bought her a couple of years ago, it's a relatively basic (but more than adequate) system. It's used perhaps once or twice a month, usually for simple tasks such as photos, internet browsing etc.

A couple of weeks ago, with Windows 8.1 installed, she tried to turn the PC on (with no changes made from a perfectly working PC) to be asked to 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device.'

Now, Googling told me to go into BIOS and ensure that it was still booting from the C: drive, but it was no longer there. Long story short, I concluded that the drive had died and therefore upgraded the 500GB SATA that was in there to a new Kingston SSD drive and I also upgraded to Windows 10.

At first, the Kingston SSD drive worked flawlessly, however I then get another phone call, the error is back again. I head round to fix it, and you guessed it, the drive isn't showing in BIOS.

After a few reboots, trying every setting I could in BIOS it works again, and it shows up again aswell, all is fine.

Next day, same problem, but this time it wants to work even less. I try swapping the SATA ports, the SATA and power cable, just about everything I can think of and eventually it shows up. I told her to leave the computer on in the hope that the error doesn't come back, but sure enough in the middle of the night last night she woke up to the dreaded black screen once again.

I understand that this is an intermittent fault, but it really couldn't have come at a worse time financially for needing a repair. Not only does it look like we've lost all the data on the previous hard drive, (which stupidly wasn't backed up) but now the PC won't work at all. Gah!

Any help is HUGELY appreciated, thank you all so much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

in the middle of the night last night she woke up to the dreaded black screen once again.

So, just to be clear about it, at this point all you get on the screen is a black screen?

When you (your GF, I mean) boots the computer from cold start, do you get the POST screen initially? Or is it just black. If black, do you get the system beep when the power button is first pressed?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 defection

defection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

Sorry, by black screen I meant the 'insert a boot device' screen. The computer had turned itself off and then back on again and reverted to this it seems.

I now have the computer at my house where I've been trying to fix it and today I can't get the SSD to work whatsoever sadly.

On boot I normally have the 'splash' screen from the MOBO followed by the boot device screen. If I go into BIOS, the SSD isn't detected. I have tried switching ports and cables and even using the cables from the CD-ROM which is working fine, yet no acknowledgement of the SSD.

I am now trying an older SATA drive I had laying around and installing on that, I can only assume at the moment that the brand new SSD has an issue of some kind.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Ok, let's test that SSD for sure.

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your SSD drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 defection

defection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, but today I annoyingly couldn't even get it to recognise the SSD.

The older SATA drive worked perfectly, yet the SSD wouldn't work for most of the day, until I connected it as a second drive and it worked perfectly for around 5 boots and then it denied all existence of it!

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

You already have a thread regarding your problem open here.

Edited by Gorbulan, 05 October 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#7 defection

defection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

I realised after I got a response, it was a complete accident, apologies.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

Never double post in a forum, especially around here. All it serves to do is waste everybody's time, including yours.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

Let's close this one...too many posts in each to merge and make any sense, IMO.

It doesn't really matter if the open topic is this one or that one, but let's pursue that topic.

Topic closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2016 - 05:35 PM.

#10 defection

defection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for your slightly calmer stance Louis! It's greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users