Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in a boot loop, can't repair startup, use restore point, or "reset" PC...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 battleclown

battleclown

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Have a ASUS A53S laptop running Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit.  After the recent round of Windows Updates, my comptuer restarted and got stuck in a weird boot loop. 

It tries to run startup repair and fails.  I get to the menu after that and my options are Restart and Advanced options.  

I have exercised every advanced option, starting with least invasive and going to most invasive and everything fails with no error codes or other clues.  If I try to run startup repair, it at least spits out a destination for a log, which I was able to retrieve.  There are 3 weird entries in there but I'm not sure what to make of them.  I attached the log file for our reference.  Attached File  SrtTrail.txt   13.53KB   6 downloads

Only option I haven't tried is to reset the system without retaining any personal files.  I would need to take out my SSD and backup my important stuff before I am willing to try that.

I also ran some check disk commands on the SSD I am using in the laptop.  They all returned no errors.  

I created a recovery disk from my desktop and tried to run these tools from a recovery disk.  That also did not help.

Pretty much confuddled.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:35 AM

May have something to do with this, a fix is supposed to be on the way.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-on-windows-10-anniversary-install-fail-were-finalizing-a-fix/

#3 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

Thank you for the share. The issue in the article seems to be referring to the inability to install recent updates. My computer seems to have installed the updates and is now stuck trying to repair startup.

It would seem that I am experiencing an issue that is related to updates, but whatever script they are releasing for this problem probably won't help my situation.

System restore created a restore point on the 2nd of October when I installed the latest round of updates. And just to reiterate, I can't go back to this restore point.

#4 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

And just to be super clear here. I am completely unable to boot into Windows under any circumstances that I have tried. The only way I can access any files directly is through command prompt or by removing the SSD and plugging into my desktop.

#5 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

Anybody have any thoughts on this?  Going to call Windows support line when I get enough time to sit on the phone.  I'm happy to try anything or post any helpful logs in the meantime.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Try doing a system restore using a Windows 10 boot disk. You can create one using the Media Creation Tool. Have you run sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt?

See this kb article. Note the DISM command.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Edit: You can use the bootable install disk to do a Startup Repair. It can take up to three attempts to complete the repair.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 October 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#7 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Tried the both the command prompt options given and got errors for both.  

For sfc /scannow - "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

For the DISM commands - I tried both versions they provided - I get "DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option." This is probably because I am accessing command prompt from the recovery tools. I'm not familiar with the DISM commands and I would need guidance to go any further with this I think.

I am working on creating a disk from the media creation tool. 

Edited by battleclown, 07 October 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#8 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

I have attempted to use system restore from the recovery media and that's a no-go.  Same error that I was getting using it from the installed Windows.

Startup repair from the disk is not working either unfortunately.  Haven't pulled the SrtTrail.txt log file from these attempts but I will if it's relevant.

Starting to feel like I need to reinstall Windows.  Any other ideas? Probably just going to bite the bullet tonight and reinstall. Need this computer up and running.  

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

Is your drive encrypted with BitLocker, or did you enable BitLocker at some point?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

I have never used BitLocker on this computer.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

When you try to boot normally, how far does it gets before it reboots?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

When I try to boot, it comes up with a screen that says "Diagnosing" (can't remember exact line), after that a black screen for a few seconds.  Next screen shows "Attempting Repairs" for a few seconds and then it brings me to a page where I can choose to restart or go to advanced options.  That is also the page that points me to the srt trail log file.

Edited by battleclown, 07 October 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

Don't you have the option to continue booting normally?

unite_blue.png

#14 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

The only close option I have is "Continue," in Advanced Options. That's the one that says "exit and continue to Windows 10." That would be delightful, but clicking that button restarts my computer and brings me back to the same loop.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:12 AM

Lets make sure Windows is not stuck installing corrupted Windows updates. Open the Command Prompt and type below command.

Ren  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution   SoftwareDistribution.bak

Replace C: drive letter with Windows 10 installed partition drive letter. After finish executing the command restart your computer normally.

Can you post screenshot of the below commands.

icacls C:\WINDOWS\system32\bdeunlock.exe
icacls  C:\WINDOWS\system32\Windows.System.Diagnostics.dll
icacls C:\WINDOWS\system32\hotplug.dll 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users