Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my 3rd rig, time to put my 7 year old to rest.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonsmight

Dragonsmight

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

Putting the 7 year old to rest and looking for suggestions on a new gaming rig.  I have put 2 together in the past so I'm all for getting parts and putting it together.  Just some notes on myself:

• I did dabble a little in overclocking before but don't really care to get into that again. 
  • Kind of interested in liquid cooling depending on how difficult it would be for a newbie and price.
  • Budget of $1700-$2000.
  • Games played: Overwatch, FFXIV.  Who knows for the future.
  • Don't really care about style so best case for the price / cooling.
  • Maybe a new monitor but I could probably research that later.  Within budget or separate haven't really decided.
  • Hopefully something that last another 7 years!

I would love suggestions from you guys as I have been out of it for quite awhile.  Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:23 AM

Around Q1 2017 AMD should be releasing their Zen CPU's and Vega 10 GPU's.  If you can wait that long, I'd recommend doing that.  That said, if you absolutely need it now, here's an idea:

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - This will handle the latest Intel CPU's and comes with an M.2 slot for NVMe drives.  $189

CPU:  Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz - Currently one of the fastest non LGA2011 CPU's around.  $339

GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC - One of the highest performing GPU's around.  $649

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 - Plenty of memory for most gamers.  $64

OS:  Windows 10 Pro Full Version - You'll need this.  You can reuse your copy of Windows 10, assuming you have it, if it is a full boxed retail copy.  Those versions of Windows can be moved between PC's, unlike System Builder or OEM versions.  Alternatively, you can get an OEM version of this software to save a little money.  $199

CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-U14S - Unless you are planning on doing some extreme overclocking, a premium air cooler is all you really need.  $66

PSU:  SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W - For single GPU setups, you don't need much more than this.  You may be able to reuse your existing power supply.  $124

Hard Drive 1:  WD Blue 1TB - This will be your drive holding non-OS data, such as music, videos, and less-frequently used programs.  You may be able to reuse existing drives if they are less than five years old.  $50

Hard Drive 2:  SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 256GB - M.2 NVMe drives are faster than standard SATA SSD's.  This one will hold Windows and maybe a few frequently used programs.  $186

Case:  LIAN LI PC-A76 - I prefer Lian-Li cases.  You may be able to reuse your current case.  Normally, aluminum cases are of higher quality and side vents or fans will make the case noisy. You can also choose a less expensive case, but I suggest a Full ATX case.  $209

Optical Drive:  LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Internal - This is optional if you only use downloadable software and you may be able to reuse your current optical drive.  $49

Total Cost:  $2,133

3939.png

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,575 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:16 AM

Kind of interested in liquid cooling depending on how difficult it would be for a newbie and price.

I will comment on the liq cooling aspect; I have always used AMD CPUs to build, and as everyone knows, they run hotter than Intel chips. I have putzed around with various air cooling heatsink/fan setups and never really been satisfied.

So about 3 years ago I switched to liq cooling and never looked back. My O/clocked AMD quad runs at idle about 38-40°C, under extreme load about 50°C, never higher. The fan is whisper-quiet.  It was very easy to install, just make sure your case has a large enough rear fan mounting grill opening for the radiator, that is critical. When I first installed in my (older by now) Apevia X-Dreamer I had to mod the case by enlarging the rear fan vent hole. I have read occasional horror stories about leakage, but never had a problem with mine. I have never had a leak, and I have replaced this mainboard 2 times. I will say that when I purchased the cooler I used Newegg.com's users reviews extensively and chose a unit that had 99% happy users out of several dozen, so I was careful.

I will never go back to air cooling again. Just my experience.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Dragonsmight

Dragonsmight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:02 AM

Around Q1 2017 AMD should be releasing their Zen CPU's and Vega 10 GPU's.  If you can wait that long, I'd recommend doing that.  That said, if you absolutely need it now, here's an idea:

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - This will handle the latest Intel CPU's and comes with an M.2 slot for NVMe drives.  $189

CPU:  Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz - Currently one of the fastest non LGA2011 CPU's around.  $339

GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC - One of the highest performing GPU's around.  $649

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 - Plenty of memory for most gamers.  $64

OS:  Windows 10 Pro Full Version - You'll need this.  You can reuse your copy of Windows 10, assuming you have it, if it is a full boxed retail copy.  Those versions of Windows can be moved between PC's, unlike System Builder or OEM versions.  Alternatively, you can get an OEM version of this software to save a little money.  $199

CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-U14S - Unless you are planning on doing some extreme overclocking, a premium air cooler is all you really need.  $66

PSU:  SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W - For single GPU setups, you don't need much more than this.  You may be able to reuse your existing power supply.  $124

Hard Drive 1:  WD Blue 1TB - This will be your drive holding non-OS data, such as music, videos, and less-frequently used programs.  You may be able to reuse existing drives if they are less than five years old.  $50

Hard Drive 2:  SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 256GB - M.2 NVMe drives are faster than standard SATA SSD's.  This one will hold Windows and maybe a few frequently used programs.  $186

Case:  LIAN LI PC-A76 - I prefer Lian-Li cases.  You may be able to reuse your current case.  Normally, aluminum cases are of higher quality and side vents or fans will make the case noisy. You can also choose a less expensive case, but I suggest a Full ATX case.  $209

Optical Drive:  LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Internal - This is optional if you only use downloadable software and you may be able to reuse your current optical drive.  $49

Total Cost:  $2,133

Might be a little high on the budged especially adding a monitor in but looks like a great starting point, thanks!

Kind of interested in liquid cooling depending on how difficult it would be for a newbie and price.

I will comment on the liq cooling aspect; I have always used AMD CPUs to build, and as everyone knows, they run hotter than Intel chips. I have putzed around with various air cooling heatsink/fan setups and never really been satisfied.

So about 3 years ago I switched to liq cooling and never looked back. My O/clocked AMD quad runs at idle about 38-40°C, under extreme load about 50°C, never higher. The fan is whisper-quiet.  It was very easy to install, just make sure your case has a large enough rear fan mounting grill opening for the radiator, that is critical. When I first installed in my (older by now) Apevia X-Dreamer I had to mod the case by enlarging the rear fan vent hole. I have read occasional horror stories about leakage, but never had a problem with mine. I have never had a leak, and I have replaced this mainboard 2 times. I will say that when I purchased the cooler I used Newegg.com's users reviews extensively and chose a unit that had 99% happy users out of several dozen, so I was careful.

I will never go back to air cooling again. Just my experience.

My main hesitation about liquid cooling is having to mod the case, I'm not very handy with things like that.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,575 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

You won't have to mod the case. Just make sure what size the cooling unit needs for vent (mine was100mm). You already know what size your rear vent is on your existing case, right? 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:19 AM

Although I love Lian-Li cases and have built in over 100 (I think) in the past. Still love them. You don't need that case for $209.00. You should stick with cases around $80.00 to $130.00 in my opinion.  I mean if you have the money to spend on that case yes go ahead do so but do know that it is a thing of beauty but also a monstrosity (very large).

Water cooling. Yes AIO water coolers are much better now and the really good ones don't leak. You didn't specifically mention overclocking, and the I7 6700k is so fast, as such, really doesn't need it right now  when coupled with a high end GPU. The 6700k scales well, and takes full advantage of any high end GPU at any resolution including 4k, barring some of the newest games at the highest settings with 2k~4k displays.

Memory. Yes, so now 16GB is the new standard very high end demanding gamers but 32GB is the pinnacle, and there are already a 'few' instances where 24GB will nearly be saturated. 8GB was 2-4 years ago. 16GB was about a year ago and still is today, but 32GB  very high end gamers that play with all maxed out game settings, and all GPU setting to the absolute maximum under extreme system/CPU/GPU situations, and also extreme resolutions and a 120hz or 144hz refresh rate.

My Suggestion is tweak BCAdvisors list only a bit. I would get this case here_

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Performance-Case-P-100-Black/dp/B00FGHHQO0

This AIO cooler here_ (really easy to install and reliable)

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Hydro-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B00A0HZMGA

This memory kit here_

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226835&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users