Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which part on a PC is more important for online browsing - CPU or RAM?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

Hello

Which is the most important part for a computer used solely for browsing the Internet - the processor or RAM?

Which would make for a better browsing experience, provided that all other things are being equal:

A.) A computer with a 1.5Ghz processor and 4GB of RAM

or

B.) A computer with a 4Ghz processor and 1.5GB of RAM ?

..​Asking purely out of curiosity :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

Well...insufficient RAM on any system...tends to create atypical problems that would not occur with any system that has sufficient RAM.

The CPU can be likened to the engine of an auto, while the RAM can be likened to gasoline.

RAM is used by the system to perform any operation.

A "slow" CPU does not impair the functioning of a system unless you are a gamer or running apps which are CPU-intensive...while, generally speaking, a minimum of 4GB of RAM will enable any system to perform all routine system tasks.  Browsing is a routine/simple task.

You could look at netbooks as an example of technology that does not emphasize CPU speed for the tasks which the system is designed for.

Louis

Another thing...when assessing browser problems...the data item most frequently looked at will be RAM usage.

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2016 - 09:30 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

I definitely would say RAM.  Adding more RAM is about the quickest way to speed up a computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Well...insufficient RAM on any system...tends to create atypical problems that would not occur with any system that has sufficient RAM.

The CPU can be likened to the engine of an auto, while the RAM can be likened to gasoline.

RAM is used by the system to perform any operation.

A "slow" CPU does not impair the functioning of a system unless you are a gamer or running apps which are CPU-intensive...while, generally speaking, a minimum of 4GB of RAM will enable any system to perform all routine system tasks.  Browsing is a routine/simple task.

You could look at netbooks as an example of technology that does not emphasize CPU speed for the tasks which the system is designed for.

Louis

Another thing...when assessing browser problems...the data item most frequently looked at will be RAM usage.

I definitely would say RAM.  Adding more RAM is about the quickest way to speed up a computer.

Thank you both for your answers. My curiosity on this topic has been fed. :)

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:54 AM

+1! :)

Especially at today's low prices, there's bargains on DDR4 RAM also, the market is saturated. RAM again gives the best 'bang for the buck'. 

While the CPU is also important, there's a lot more going on in memory. Even the CPU has it's own, known as L1, L2 & notably on today's models, L3. 

With that said.....

A.) A computer with a 1.5Ghz processor and 4GB of RAM

or

B.) A computer with a 4Ghz processor and 1.5GB of RAM ?

I'll take 'B' & stuff the RAM to the gills, because there's no such thing as 'wasted RAM'. :)

I once tried Option 'A' & the results were pathetic, 2nd link with SSD, not much better. Wished you had asked that one also, like RAM, easy on the wallet for common (or best selling) SATA-3 versions. :thumbsup:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LLMfcy7akDpnaEfOj6l8NJr

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/M554jRG3jOQTe7UF8yAgRI8

BTW, this very PC has a 4.0GHz CPU & 32GB of RAM, and the performance is excellent. Even with a HDD to drag down results, it's a killer machine, the one shown in my first Speccy snapshot. 

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1732281

Would I trade for System 'A'? Never again, nor will I purchase off the shelf PC's anymore. Find your bottlenecks & eliminate these by building it yourself, while getting a $2,800 PC (if performed by a custom PC builder) for a little more than half the price. :guitar:

Keep the other half for a 2nd build, which I'm working on now. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

While we are on the subject of RAM I would like to point out the advantage of running RAM in multi-channels.  This technology increases the data transfer rate between the DRAM and the memory controller.  The theory is that the multi-channel operation multiplies the transfer rate by the number of channels.  Dual-channel will double the transfer rate, triple-channel will triple the transfer rate, and quad-channel which quadruples the transfer rate.  For the best performance matched modules need to be used.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users