Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows Explorer Broke & Drwatson Has Troubles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

WindowsXP home - SP2, and IE6, all up to date except last patches to patches to patches.
ZA Security suite, PestPatrol - resident

Something is wrong with my explorer. I will just number a bunch of things I see, the list is in no particular order.

1. Saturday & Sunday fun: Five times in two days DrWatson ran when I close explorer window.
2. There is at least one antry in the System Event log which says "faulting explorer.exe". I allowed to send bug report to Microsoft.
3. Two or three out of those five times, I had to reboot by disconnecting, as I could not get into the Start menu to shut down normally.
4. When DrWatson isn't able to finish its job, it pulls off my PestPatrol out of the system tray and startup and I have to reconfigure again.
5. Also when it is having trouble, once I saw 2 drwatsn32 entries in the task manager, 50% utilization by svchost which was using huge amount of memory, peak 80meg. The fan sounds like a jet taking off (as if it were in safe mode)
6. When things break like this, ZonaAlarm suite has in the logs an entry saying that DrWatson wants to communicate and modify drwtsn32 process. I allowed it twice, denied the rest. I have no idea what I should reply.
7. One time ZoneAlarm collected some sort of a log into a zip file and I allowed it to be sent.
8. At no time vsmon memory use was excessive - my normal is 40-50meg.
9. I did not yet apply August Windows updates. I understand there's a problem with explorer on some systems, but this warning should not apply to me with WindowsXP-SP2, and IE6.

ZAsuite virus and spy scans ran Saturday morning - clean. SpybotS&D and Ad-Aware ran last night - look clean. Spybot in safe mode - clean. I tried running a-squared in safe mode, but I can't change the new (v2) window size to fit in that VGA mode, so can't run.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

See if any of the information on the following page helps:

Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883791/en-us

Zone alarm should be set to allow Dr Watson, which is an error reporting process and needs to communicate with Microsoft for the purpose of updates for it and error reports to MS.

Your Pest Control should also be set to allow Dr Watson, however Dr Watson should not interfere with its functioning. It may be exhibiting false positives when Dr Watson functions.

Microsoft advises that even though some computers have experienced problems after installing the latest updates they should be installed anyway.

Should you have a problem after installing the critical update (or any critical update) you would then become entitled to Microsoft Support at no charge.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

Enthusiast,
Good info, thanks! But I need more help, PLEASE, please bear with me through another long post.
I will study details at home with my computer on hand to check versions and so on.

But, while I MORE THAN APPRECIATE what you wrote, I got CONFUSED BY BILL GATES. He's all over the place, back and forth, link to link to link, I'm losing track of what's relevant, what's not. I may have to take a course how to read his site.

Case in point,
1. the link you gave me, kb883791, is dated April 11, 2006. It might apply, somewhat, but
2. it refers to XP SP2 release candidate 2 - how can there be RC when I've had SP2 since end of 2004?
3. it tells me to read about MS04-025 upgrade dated 6/1/2006. W H A T ???? how can 4/11 article quote 6/1 entry and how can MS04-025 be dated 6/1/2006?
4. it tells me to read about MS04-024 upgrade dated 4/7/2006 ok here with date
5. The MSxxxx articles seem to take me back to ancient times, and I'm sinking deeper and deeper
6. Somehow I ended up in KB839645 dated 6/1/2006 which might be for WindowsXP-SP1, and which says that after you install 839645 MS04-024 you may again experience .... HOW LONG AFTER?? I've been doing MS06-xx PATCHES this year, I didn't install anything MS04 this year. Last patches I did were 7/31/2006.

As I said, I might sort it out at home, but I suspect this state of confusion will persist. I can never sort out KBs, patches, MS numbers.

Can you give me some guidance HOW to read their stuff and actually survive and get a useful procedure out of there?

Oh, I once tried contacting Microsoft SUPPORT. I gave them all sorts of info. They took it, like a bunch of spies, only to tell me that I have to be talking to the OEM provider. So is their support over patches really their responsibility? How can I prove that what's broken is their problem? What's to stop them from telling me it's PestPatrol or Spybot or reading Microsoft site or BleepingComputer or something.

Edited by tos226, 21 August 2006 - 01:18 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

Patches that are Critical Updates are Microsoft's responsibility as long as you have a valid Windows installation regardless of whether it is retail or oem.

The article I linked was last reviewed - updated by MS - April 11, 2006 revision 2.3 and the referral page may have been updated since.

They update their support pages so regardless of when it was originally written it should still be valid at least to the date of when they show it was updated, and the referred pages to the date they were updated.

There are two scenarios described in this article.

I don't know if either applies. You have to look and determine if you have the updates the article described.

You can examine your update history by going to Windows Updates and see if these updates are there and installed successfully or for that matter if all your updates have installed successfully. If you have any that were unsuccessful follow their directions to reinstall them.

Then, let Windows Updates scan and determine what updates are missing and install them. At that point, MS becomes responsible for support.

One other thing you can do is if you have the Windows XP SP2 installation disk you can run the system file check utility, Sfc /scannow.

Start -> Run and type in cmd

Then, in the black box that appears (DOS emulator), type sfc /scannow

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place, original and not corrupted.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 August 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:39 PM

I'm sifting through their patches and my upgrades. Tons of them. None failed. But many were rolled up into one, so it takes some time. I'm sure I'll be back because I'm still VERY confused about the dates in all the nested articles.

One other thing you can do is if you have the Windows XP SP2 installation disk you can run the system file check utility, Sfc /scannow.
Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place, original and not corrupted.

Here's a problem. When I bought the computer, I did not get a WindowsXP disk. Just some sort of el cheapo recovery thing. SP2 came a bit later and that got downloaded. So, unfortunately, while that recovery disk will make a nice shiny coaster or a toy, I'm out :thumbsup:
Yes, I know some stuff can be gotten out of there, but with over 2 yrs of patches, my guess is 99% of the recovery stuff is worthless. Am I talking sense?

Edited by tos226, 21 August 2006 - 10:40 PM.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

Enthusiast,
First of all I've had no explorer problems since the weekend.
I reviewed the updates I've done. 129 of them. One was cancelled. None failed. At 9/page, finding all those KB numbers is nearly impossible. They do NOT have a find command. MS says to check Control Panel for installed updates. Well, there I see 10 for office, 16-17 for windows. Clearly misleading.

Secondly, I am in the process of installing the updates and patches for August, but it failed.
I told MS to do it, they found 10 to go, of which 8 or 9 have already been downloaded. I said go ahead, install, and got a message I've never seen before.
"Updates were unable to be successfully installed" and listed every KB which should go in.

In the past (up to July) I've always passed genuine advantage and I NEVER failed doing the updates.
Suggestions? Oh, I did submit a report and have a tracking number. But it'll take ages probably to see anything happen.

-------------------------
I tried once more. Just before issuing a message it was initializing installation, then a quick list showed, and immediately got covered by the final list of nothing worked. There are 8 logs, most have the same messages, but things differ in some cab files. ALL have error 0xF201 at the end. Here's one:

[KB920670.log]
1.469: ================================================================================
1.469: 2006/08/22 22:40:10.781 (local)
1.469: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\S-1-5-18\00b99c44b8bd2d64ad5a787e140a68d1\update\update.exe (version 6.2.29.0)
1.500: Hotfix started with following command line: /si /ParentInfo:83b84d09d255e748b279a7e2492b1251
2.766: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
2.766: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IC
2.766: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
2.797: CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB920670$
2.797: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halmacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102
2.813: ref tag c:\windows\system32\sp4.cab does not exist
2.813: ref tag c:\windows\system32\sp3.cab does not exist
2.813: ref tag c:\windows\system32\sp2.cab does not exist
2.813: ref tag c:\windows\system32\sp1.cab does not exist
2.813: ref tag c:\windows\system32\driver.cab does not exist
2.813: ref tag c:\windows\system32\fp40ext.cab does not exist
2.813: ref tag c:\windows\system32\fp40ext1.cab does not exist
2.828: ref tag c:\windows\system32\wms4.cab does not exist
2.828: ref tag c:\windows\system32\wms41.cab does not exist
2.828: ref tag c:\windows\system32\ims.cab does not exist
2.828: ref tag c:\windows\system32\ims1.cab does not exist
2.828: ref tag c:\windows\system32\ins.cab does not exist
2.828: ref tag c:\windows\system32\ins1.cab does not exist
2.828: Starting AnalyzeComponents
2.828: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks
2.828: No c:\windows\INF\updtblk.inf file.
2.828: OEM file scan used 0 ticks
2.860: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 32 ticks
2.860: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.
2.860: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.
2.860: FindFirstFile c:\windows\$hf_mig$\*.*
2.906: KB920670 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is not correct.
2.906: AnalyzeForBranching used 0 ticks.
2.922: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 16 ticks
2.922: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
2.922: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks
2.922: AnalyzePhaseSix used 0 ticks
2.922: AnalyzeComponents used 94 ticks
2.922: Downloading 0 files
2.922: bPatchMode = TRUE
2.922: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 125 ticks
2.922: Num Ticks for invent : 125
2.922: [dumpDownloadTask] We have all necessary files for the package to install. Return STATUS_READY_TO_INSTALL
2.922: dumpDownloadTask returned 0xf201 (ready to install)
3.078: KB920670 installation did not complete.
3.078: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf201

Can anyone understand any of this?

Edited by tos226, 22 August 2006 - 10:44 PM.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:28 PM

Still need a bit of help and explanations, PLEASE.

After two tries next day, 11 upgrades installed and included just ONE new download, otherwise the already downloaded files got used.

I may have broken the upgrade process by some earlier playing with the startup programs in Spybot, where the reason was I didn't want genuine advantage and windows audit to run at startup & waste my time. I'm not sure that was it. That part may have sorted itself out, I really don't know, I didn't touch it.

Perhaps a coincidence, but JUST BEFORE the installation worked on the third try, I went into Spybot and checked back an odd entry "SensLogn", which was connected to winlogon. When I originally shut it off, fairly recently, I googled, and decided that it was not necessary, was not Microsoft's, possibly spyware. This site looks a bit discreputable - are they right?
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/senslogn/

Well, when I clicked to enable it at startup, the installer worked after reboot. I mention this detail, because Microsoft support sent me seven or so registry entries I am/was apparently missing - all related to the windows update. I'm working through the list. One of the entries in the list is this SensLogn thingie. Their instructions are similar to Microsoft kb article I'm still reading http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910341

I really don't understand any of it including the update process (I allow them to download, but not install). Why do I have to have so many weird things on my computer running all the time for the bi-monthly or monthly fixes? And do I really have to have winnotify and senslogn, sglnotify and all those strange items JUST to install updates?

(edited: added links)

Edited by tos226, 26 August 2006 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users