Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 updated, driver problems now. No Network access at all

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 hilaritas

hilaritas

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

Hello, I need some help please!  Here is a narrative of what has happened:

1) Installed Windows 10 about one year ago and has been running relatively fine.  Last week it automatically installed new updates. 
2) Upon restart it said display drivers needed to be updated. 
3) I updated the display driver and my display went out. 
4) Restarting gave me a black screen with the following:

*Date and time* Phase 0: Starting Watch Dog Initialization
*Date and time* Phase 0: Loading Config... (roots krnl, setup)
*Date and time* Phase 0: Pre initializaton events
*Date and time* Phase 0: creating Watch Dog dynamic key list
*Date and time* Phase 0: subsystems initialization
*Date and time* Phase 0: finished
*Date and time* Phase 0: Initialize components...
*Date and time* Phase 0: Starting reactor...
*Date and time* Phase 0: Starting components...
*Date and time* Phase 0: Starting internal subsystems...
*Date and time* Phase 0: Starting command channels
*Date and time* Phase 0: Srm start actions
*Date and time* Phase 0: Starting external subsystems
*Date and time* Phase 0: finished

5) I restarted in a reduced functionality mode with networking that got me back into Windows.
6) I disabled (removed?) the display driver and some generic one got put it its place. 
7) Display working, but resolution is messed up. Dual screens were not working
8) Then my network connection stopped working. Every other device hooked to my router has good connectivity. It is a "Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet".
9) Automatic troubleshooting says "There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adaptor".
10) I uninstalled AVG virus protection and resarted. No change
11) I uninstalled the network adaptor driver. Then I installed an older version of the driver from Broadcom website. Nothing changed still no connectivity
12) I RESET Windows 10 to reset itself to original state. 
13) Black screen on startup with a circle forever spinning
14) Forced restart, was able to login to Windows 10 with admin profile.
15) I couldn't login with my normal profile. It says "Your device is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this device". I tried previous password and doesn't work.
16) With my Admin account I used a thumb drive to install latest driver from AMD.  Seems like my display is working fine again.  I also used a thumb drive to install latest driver for Broadcom Ethernet card, but it didn't work.  I still have no network connectivity or access.  And I still can't login with my normal Windows 10 profile "
Your device is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this device"

Thank you,

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16366 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD6450 1GB DDR3

Hard Drives: C: Total - 1417191 MB, Free - 624232 MB; F: Total - 3815431 MB, Free - 135969 MB;

Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0Y2MRG
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

Do you have a yellow exclamation mark next to your Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager. In any case right click the Ethernet adapter and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Post the output in your next post. What is the model number of the Dell? 

There have been many many issues like yours regarding lost connectivity after a Windows 10 update. Yours was probably the Anniversary update that has been rolling out recently.

#3 hilaritas

hilaritas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

No yellow exclamation mark.  See attached image for the Hardware IDs.  This is a Dell XPS 8300.

Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by hilaritas, 04 October 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

Unfortunately I could not find a Windows 10 driver for that chipset. The vendor and device ID references a Broadcom chipset BCM57788. It looks like some kind of proprietary Dell chipset made by broadcom as the only drivers I found were Dell for Windows 7 and 8 so I am assuming is the driver you have is provided by Windows 10 updates. 

But: I did find this Dell forum page. It may help with your problem. Good Luck.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19645189

#5 hilaritas

hilaritas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

Thank you for finding that dell forum.  I'll spend some time following their troubleshooting.

If the Dell forum fix doesn't work, is there another workaround?  Is it as simple as buying a new ethernet card to fix, or is it more complicated than that?  Or even a USB to Ethernet adaptor?

Thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

You can use a PCIe Ethernet card or a USB to Ethernet adapter. If you have an open PCIe slot that may be the best way to go but you would need to disable the integrated LAN port either in Device Manager or in UEFI/BIOS if that setting is available. 

#7 hilaritas

hilaritas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

I tried working through the suggestions from the Dell forum.  I tried multiple times and ways to install the driver 14.2.0.7 (update driver, uninstall driver, multiple computer reboots, etc...).  I still have no connectivity.  It seems to have installed, but I find it strange that in the properties tab it says I'm using driver version 14.2.0.7, but in the network troubleshooting report it says I'm running version 15.6.0.14.  Any thoughts?  See attached image.

Another lingering concern is this message I get when I try to login to Windows through my typical user profile: "Your device is offline.  Please sign in with the last password used on this device".  I understand that with Windows 10, my password that I use for my microsoft online account became my Windows password.  And I get it that if I'm offline this wouldn't work anymore.  BUT my old password doesn't work either.  And when I login with my Admin account, I can't access the folder for my typical user account (it just spins its wheels).  It shouldn't operate like this even if disconnected.. or am I missing something.  What do you think?

I keep wondering if during my troubleshooting of the initial problems, I made things worse and am now dealing with self-inflicted problems... in addition to the driver issue.

Attached Files

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

You cannot login to any account currently?

#9 hilaritas

hilaritas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

I have one user profile and then the admin profile.

I cannot logon through user profile, with either my Microsoft online password nor my Windows password.

I CAN logon with my admin profile. However, once in Windows, I still cannot access the folder that contains my typical user files.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

Open an elevated command prompt in your admin profile. Press the Windows key + X. Select cmd as admin. Type the following command to enable the hidden Administrator Account.

net user administrator /active:yes

Log out of your admin profile and login to the enabled hidden Administrator Account. Can you access your user account?

#11 hilaritas

hilaritas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

This is what happens when I try to access the contents of my non-admin user profile while logged into my admin account. Nothing happens except wheel spinning when I press continue (Attached)

Attached Files

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

See my post on enabling the hidden administrator account.

#13 hilaritas

hilaritas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

Attached

Attached Files

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

Usually there is no password associated with the Adminstrator account if enabled.  I am not sure what is going on. Do you need data from the user account. We can try booting a live linux disk which should have no problem accessing your user account data.

#15 hilaritas

hilaritas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

Eventually I need back in there since that is where all my files are stored. I don't need them immediately as I'm in minimalist mode until I can get my computer working right again.

It is just odd. And I am wondering if this is evidence of a different (bigger?) problem that is in turn causing havoc on the Ethernet card issue

Edited by hilaritas, 05 October 2016 - 06:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users