Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC crashes with loud buzzing when gaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonderland

Jasonderland

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

My PC is beginning to crash quite regularly when playing various games. There's also a loud buzzing noise & I have to turn the PC off altogether & restart.

My specs are:

Windows 10 Home 64Bit

Intel Core i5 760@2.8GHz

8GB DDR3 Ram

Gigabyte P55m-UD2 Mobo

NVIDIA 970GTX 4GB

3 x SSD (500gb, 120gb & 60gb) 500gb HD

ASUS Xonar DX Sound Card

Corsair VX550 PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ragnar_lothbrok

ragnar_lothbrok

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

My PC is beginning to crash quite regularly when playing various games. There's also a loud buzzing noise & I have to turn the PC off altogether & restart.

My specs are:

Windows 10 Home 64Bit

Intel Core i5 760@2.8GHz

8GB DDR3 Ram

Gigabyte P55m-UD2 Mobo

NVIDIA 970GTX 4GB

3 x SSD (500gb, 120gb & 60gb) 500gb HD

ASUS Xonar DX Sound Card

Corsair VX550 PSU

did you go solution for ur problem

#3 Jasonderland

Jasonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

No...I'm still waiting for a reply.

#4 Jasonderland

Jasonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

Update: I did a stress test on the GPU & the temp only rose to 61C so I'm guessing it's not that?
Also when I restart after a crash I have to unplug the USB wireless adaptor then plug in again for it to work.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:19 AM

May be power related and can also be a part failing or dying (which can be memory or PSU). Try swapping the power supply if you can. Now, if unplugging the USB adaptor and plugging it in again seems to make it work that may also be a signal that your USB device is either failing or, needs a new driver. Depending on other changes you might have made. E.G operating system upgrade etc.

#6 Jasonderland

Jasonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

May be power related and can also be a part failing or dying (which can be memory or PSU). Try swapping the power supply if you can. Now, if unplugging the USB adaptor and plugging it in again seems to make it work that may also be a signal that your USB device is either failing or, needs a new driver. Depending on other changes you might have made. E.G operating system upgrade etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I've ran the Windows memory diagnotstics - no errors. I'll check the USB drivers. It'll be difficult to try & get hold of another PSU.

The crashes seem to have started after I upgraded to Windows 10.

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:47 AM

Looks like your motherboard does not support WIndows 10. There are a lot of 1st Gen I5's with motherboards like you have that are working ok with Windows 10 but it seems yours is not. Last officially supported OS for your board was Windows 7, so it could be that something on your motherboard isn't 'updated' or 'controlled' correctly by Windows 10. This could also be the BIOS of your motherboard not being compatible, or "compatible enough". Did you upgrade from Windows 7? When you ran the upgrade advisor did everything check out ok?

The good news is that you say this problem started with the OS upgrade so that pretty much rules out everything but Windows 10. I see it's a gaming PC with your GTX970 so i'm guessing everything was fine under Windows 7. If you feel this is really the operating system one thing you can so is shoot an e-mail to Gigabyte and ask if this board can work correctly with Windows 10, and another is that you can revert back to Windows 7 if need be

Edited by Zone_86, 10 October 2016 - 02:48 AM.

#8 Jasonderland

Jasonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:53 AM

Looks like your motherboard does not support WIndows 10. There are a lot of 1st Gen I5's with motherboards like you have that are working ok with Windows 10 but it seems yours is not. Last officially supported OS for your board was Windows 7, so it could be that something on your motherboard isn't 'updated' or 'controlled' correctly by Windows 10. This could also be the BIOS of your motherboard not being compatible, or "compatible enough". Did you upgrade from Windows 7? When you ran the upgrade advisor did everything check out ok?

The good news is that you say this problem started with the OS upgrade so that pretty much rules out everything but Windows 10. I see it's a gaming PC with your GTX970 so i'm guessing everything was fine under Windows 7. If you feel this is really the operating system one thing you can so is shoot an e-mail to Gigabyte and ask if this board can work correctly with Windows 10, and another is that you can revert back to Windows 7 if need be

Thanks for the reply.

I've decided to upgrade & buy a new mobo, CPU & Ram. The mobo especially was becoming a bit dated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users