Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I prevent Apple Bonjour for Windows from inadvertently installing?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

While looking in Task Manager I noticed the background service Apple Bonjour running, which I recently uninstalled as I do not use Microsoft Skype, however it got inadvertently reinstalled with Windows Update because the install date corresponds with the latter.

Since I neither like this program nor need it, I am therefore wondering;

How do I prevent Apple Bonjour for Windows from inadvertently installing?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

Apple Bonjour is strictly an Apple Service that you may have installed with iTunes. 

If you want to remove it you will need to uninstall iTunes and all Apple related products as well. Once removed it should not come back.

Edit: Grammer

Edited by xAnti_HerOx, 04 October 2016 - 09:18 AM.

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

If you want to remove it you will need to uninstall iTunes and all Apple related products as well. Once removed it should not come back.

You don't. Apple Bonjour can be uninstalled without uninstalling iTunes or any other Apple products. It's an independant program, that can be used with other Apple products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

1. Apple Bonjour is strictly an Apple Service that you may have installed with iTunes. 

2. If you want to remove it you will need to uninstall iTunes and all Apple related products as well. Once removed it should not come back.

1. Bonjour is part of the iTunes installation.  There is no "may have Installed" here.

2. As Aura has already pointed out, you can uninstall Bonjour as it is a independent program.  It can be uninstalled by opening the Control Panel and selecting Programs and Features.  Locate Bonjour, when you right click on Bonjour the option to uninstall it will appear, click/tap on this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hi, xAnti_HerOx, Aura & dc3!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

As it happens, I do not have iTunes installed, although I do have Adobe Reader DC installed.

(I also have a wireless Canon MG7150 Inkjet Printer, which I have confirmed that still works properly, even without Apple Bonjour. Voilà! B))

Guess I will just make it a habit to uninstall Apple Bonjour upon installing every new build of Windows, then.

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 06 October 2016 - 04:57 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:59 AM

I don't think that Bonjour installs itself via Windows Update to be honest. I've never seen it do that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:01 AM

There is a separate download for the Bonjour print services for Windows.  I agree with Aura, Windows updates don't include any Apple products.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

Hi again, Aura & dc3!

Come to think of it, I purchased an upgrade of Acronis True Image 2017 on Sep 30, 2016, which was the same date that Apple Bonjour got inadvertently installed.

And actually, one of their KB-articles confirms their use of Apple Bonjour, please see here: https://kb.acronis.com/content/57992

Starting from 2012 version, Acronis True Image on Windows is capable of automatically detecting NAS devices in local network. Found devices are shown under special “My NAS connections” section in “Browse” dialog window. Automatic detection is done through Apple`s Bonjour service for Windows.

Sorry for bothering you with this, but nevertheless I think we have ruled out Windows Update in favor of ATI 2017.

However, I do not have a NAS; rather a wired external HDD (BUFFALO DriveStation DDR 3TB USB 3.0), which works well even without Apple Bonjour.

Do you think I need Apple Bonjour anyway, then?

Thank you again!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 October 2016 - 08:58 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

The following is quote from Should I Remove It.

Bonjour Service provides a general method to discover services on a local area network. The software is widely used throughout Mac OS and Windows for iOS devices, and allows users to set up a network without any configuration. It is used to find printers and file-sharing servers. iTunes uses Bonjour to find shared music, iPhoto to find shared photos. Bonjour for Windows and AirPort Base Stations may be configured to use Wide Area Bonjour which allows for wide area service discovery via a configured DNS server. Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of devices and services on a local network using industry standard IP protocols. Bonjour makes it easy to discover, publish, and resolve network services with a sophisticated, yet easy-to-use, programming interface that is accessible from Cocoa, Ruby, Python, and other languages.

If you don't use any of these functions you should uninstall it.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Personally, I've never seen anyone use or need Bonjour under Windows.

unite_blue.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

When I look at programs listed in the MiniToolBox and it has Bonjour listed there invariably there will be a Event error regarding it.  This is another reason I suggest uninstalling it.

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hi again, dc3 & Aura!

I suppose Apple Bonjour for Windows throwing Event errors is because the current version 3 was last updated in 2011, moreover the release notes only mention Win XP, Vista and 7, but not 8.X let alone 10. :thumbdown:

From a security perspective, since it is not explicitly compatible with newer versions of Windows, it is vulnerable to hacking due to the fact that it leaves an unnecessary port open in the firewall.

In addition it is not essential software on Windows either, unless one actually owns one or more Apple Product(s) and wants to use it / them in conjunction with said OS.

I have uninstalled it as per your recommendations. Good riddance!

I will habitually uninstall it upon installing every new build of Acronis TI, then.

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

#13 landscaper

landscaper

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

fwiw,I also installed Acronis a few weeks ago and found Bonjour installed and I have never used Apple products.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users