Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Net Connection - Usb Problem?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 steve170

steve170

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

I currently have two PC's in two different parts of the country (working away from home for a while).
On my older PC, which is running Win 98SE, I have cable broadband which uses a USB modem. Whenever I use an application that involves a fair bit of uploading (e.g. seeding on bit torrent or emule), it will usually crash the net connection at random intervals. This can happen after a few minutes of being connected on bit torrent or after several hours. When this happens, the only way to get the connection back was to reboot the PC. Also, whenever it dropped the connection like this, the PC would never shut-down/restart properly without the reset button being pressed (would just stick at the shut-down screen).

This never happened when using an application where I could block uploading (e.g. Limewire etc) and never during normal web usage. I'd always assumed it might be something to do with the ISP or Win 98.

I got a new PC in the place I'm currently living and this is running XP. On this, I have ADSL broadband, from a different ISP, also through a USB modem. Oddly, I seem to have the exact same problem on this one. The connection usually remains open, but everything grinds to a halt. If I just disconnect and reconnect, the problem remains unless I disconnect, unplug and reconnect the modem and then connect again.

Iím running Norton AV and ZoneAlarm on both PCs, but Iíve tried turning these off and it doesnít seem to make any difference. The only other common factor is that both PCs are from the same manufacturer (Mesh Computers in the UK).
Iím wondering if itís something to do with the USB ports, or the way these are set-up.

Itís really annoying because I canít go away and leave the PC downloading from BitTorrent as it usually drops the connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users