Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing a new old XP laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SusanQ

SusanQ

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:22 AM

My husband just bought a used HP laptop with Windows XP installed, same model as the one he has, whose monitor doesn't work.

The battery charged and the computer boots to XP and we've tried a few things with it, but it is verrrrrry slow to boot and do other things.

The new laptop I think has a slower processor and less RAM than the old one, so I'm not too worried, but still...

Are there tests or checks we can do, to make sure everything works OK?

I'm planning to install free Malwarebytes today and run that.

I don't think he's totally decided what to do, but he's leaning toward taking the guts (motherboard, hard drive, memory, I know not what) out of his old machine and into the new.  The case of the new computer is in much better shape than his old one, plus there's the monitor issue.  Right now the old computer is connected to an external monitor, which makes it a desktop :-)

I guess I'll start a thread in the hardware thread for the actual mix-and-match of pieces and parts?   I have no experience of hardware, but am better with the software than he.  So we're attempting to work together. :-) :-)

Also -- he has some software that he can't reinstall but only use on the old computer.  I think one of the programs is keyed to his unique machine.  Any idea where the ID would reside?  I don't know if it's the serial number or IP address or what....

Thanks so much for any advice --

Susan

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2016 - 06:28 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

You can test the hard drive and memory by burning a disk of UBCD. Use Seatools for DOS to check the hard drive and Memtest+86 or the memory test. What is the make and model of this HP? You can compare the CPU and motherboard using CPUz. If the chipsets and motherboard are identical you can try restoring the image you created in your other thread. If that does not work then try a clean install.

See this post. Do a clean install on the computer and see if it runs better.  Whatever the case I would not do any banking or internet purchases on the computer.

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

If the only thing wrong with the old one is the monitor, and everything else works; assuming the monitor is the same on the 'new' one (and is working), why not swap the monitors over, and carry on? It's not that hard swapping monitors on a laptop.

That's what I would do, personally.....take the route of least resistance!

If you can let us know the make, model, specs, etc., we can probably dig out a guide on how to do this.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 October 2016 - 04:02 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 SusanQ

SusanQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:24 AM

thanks folks - sorry for lateness of reply - we had to go out of town and then I got sick - little progress on this project so far.   I will try to report back later today or tomorrow -

Susan

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

No worries; as and when. We're always here to help.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users