Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:12 AM

I haven't posted on this forum in ages... April of 2013 to be exact. So please forgive me if I have left out any details. Just ask for them and I'll do my best to provide them.
I have a Samsung laptop, says November 2012 on the bottom of it.
Model: NP365E5C S05US
It originally ran Windows 8 when it was brand new. Then Windows 8.1, and now Windows 10 Home. 64 bit OS x64 based processor.
Story is that I have my data backed up, so no worries there. It's all on an external hard drive. So there is nothing currently important on the computer that I can't live without!
One day I went to Settings>Update & Security then clicked the Recovery button.
Didn't think it was a big deal as I have everything backed up, right?
I then clicked the Get Started button under the Reset This PC section.
I'm sure at some point it told me it needed to be plugged in or something, and at some point I unplugged it and went to sleep. I didn't know it'd TAKE FOREVER.. silly me.
I woke up, the laptop battery was dead, and it refused to continue where it left off. So I googled around a little, and someone said something about bringing up a cmd window and changing part of the registry, well I did that, then the recovery thing was stuck at 64% or whatever. Long story short... I HAD TO use a flash drive to get the recovery process going again.
It's working great now, but I now notice that the drivers/software or whatever that originally came with the laptop are missing.
I have googled around some more, and see that this is a common problem. Like the function keys that control screen brightness/dimness not working anymore.
So while scavenging the internet for way too long, I ran into people saying something about installing Samsung Update also known as SW Update or something. But it's hard to get the program running in Windows 10 because supposedly the samsung stuff was keeping windows from updating or something, blah blah, so I guess microsoft blocked the digital signature thing.
I got the program to download, but my computer didn't want to install it.
So I did some more searching, and someone mentioned some program called File Unsigner, I downloaded it and it installed a .NET framework that it said it needed to work, I then dragged the "SWM_Setup.exe" onto it and it said it successfully unsigned the file or whatever.
So I now have Samsung Update running in Windows 10.
I thought that'd be the hardest part. I do know a decent amount about computers, but not a lot when it comes to drivers/registry stuff, obviously.
The first Samsung Update program I had installed was "SWUpdate_2.1.6.45" and I downloaded all the files it provided for my model of laptop. It had files for Windows 7 and Windows 8. Then I realized that there is a newer version of the same program which is "SWUpdate_2.2.8.28" so I uninstalled the old one, restarted, installed the new one, and it offers drivers and all that for windows 7, windows 8, and windows 8.1.
My question is which ones do I need? Like I know the function buttons that control screen brightness aren't working. But all the ones for sound do work. But the one with a gear/wrench on it for F1 does nothing anymore, don't remember what it did in the first place, and F11 with the fan blade on it does nothing, I know it did something for the fan, don't remember what though. F12 also doesn't work, it has a wifi looking symbol. I'm not sure if my built in memory card reader is working or not. Also not sure if my built in bluetooth is working or not.
I did more searching, and saw someone said something about EasySettings (for the screen brightness), but I'm not sure which one I should install, like the one from windows 7, 8, or 8.1, and they all have different names and it's confusing to me as to what I should or should not need???
I have posted pictures of the function buttons I took of my laptop so people are aware what mine look like. There are also pictures of all the files I have from both versions of the SWUpdate setup files that I installed. Which were SWUpdate_2.1.6.45 and SWUpdate_2.2.8.28.
So I am unsure why one offers different files than the other one, but I took pictures of all of it. Just need someone to help me as to what I do/don't need.
Also if anyone needs any of the drivers for a samsung laptop I may be able to get them through this program and have no problem uploading them for you, just PM me your model number of computer. Because I know it's hard to get the program running on windows 10.
Please note the first 3 screenshot images are from version 2.1.6.45 of the program, the rest are from 2.2.8.28.
Thank you to everyone in advance for any help/feedback/suggestions, as I'm not as good at this as I thought I was.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:40 PM

Two lessons to take away from this:

1) If it's not broken, don't fix it.  Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023.

2) Always make full system backups to an external hard drive before making system changes.  Macrium Reflect and Easeus Todo Backup are both good backup/restore programs with free versions for non-commercial use; I use both.

Drivers are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer.  If you can't get them from Samsung, there aren't any.  Also laptop parts are mostly proprietary unlike desktops where many more parts are the same.  

Bottom line, it sounds to me like your laptop was never intended by Samsung to run Windows 10.  If that's the case, you should get the install discs for Windows 8.1 from Samsung and reinstall.

Good luck. 

Edited by Niweg, 04 October 2016 - 03:41 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:07 PM

Your first image is the card reader. Go here and download the driver at the top of the page for Windows 10 64bit.

https://devid.drp.su/?dev=USB%5CVID_0BDA%26PID_0129&l=en

Extract the files from the exe file with 7zip. You want the driver in folder named 51xx_10.0.14393.31228

Edit: On any device with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager right click, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Post the first line for each device in your next post. 

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 you can do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and then update the drivers. Because the key is embedded in firmware 8 will auto-activate when online.

The media creation tool is available here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 October 2016 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users