Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 larrysnatch

larrysnatch

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Hi,

I have a really annoying problem on an old computer that my girlfriend uses for doing some accounting work. It frequently freezes leaving us with no other option but to manually reboot. It is a Pentium II and has Windows 98. I initially thought that it may have been Spyware, but the problem still persists after having used ad-aware and spy-bot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:28 PM

I need to know a little more information.

Do you have alot of applications running?

If you unplug the internet from it, and run it for a while, does it still freeze up? If it does, then unplug it, restart it while it is unplugged, and see if it still freezes up.

Have you recently changed or added and hardware or applications? In the case that it has been doing it for a while, do you remember if you did either of these before it slowed down?

Be patient with us, and I think we can get to the bottom of your dilemma.

Allow me to end it with one last question. Is the computer that is freezing up, the same one that you are using to post here?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 larrysnatch

larrysnatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the help thus far. I will try to answer your questions:

1) My 10 Gig Hardrive is filled up to 9 gig (90% full). However, due to it's slow speed, I do not run a lot of applications at the same time.

2) It freezes with both the internet on and the internet unplugged. I have a DSL connection from this computer.

3) It's been freezing for a while. I thought I had solved it by removing some spyware, but it still persists.

4) The computer that is freezing is NOT the same one that I am using to post here.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:03 PM

ok-I can tell you one of the main problems. Your HD is too full. Windows likes to have a block of HD space to be used for its swap file. This file is used with RAM, to make up your virtual memory. For Windows to work at its best, it needs it to be in one block of data. This way, when it reads/writes something, it does not have to look for the files, or find the room.

What I would do, is remove as many applications as possible (better yet, burn them to CD/DVD) that you do not use, in Safe Mode. Empty the recycle bin, and defrag. Turn off the computer (not restart), wait 30 seconds or so, and turn it back on normaly. Take a look at the free space on the HD now. Initially it may run a little slow just because it is re-writing a few things. After it has come back up, then restart the computer, and let me know if it is any faster for you.

#5 larrysnatch

larrysnatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Couple of questions/clarifications:

1) Why remove as many applications in Safe Mode?

2) After defragmentation, I need to turn off the computer by physically turning it off or by perfroming a shut-down?

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:05 PM

1) Why remove as many applications in Safe Mode?

You dont have to remove all of them, just the ones that you know you are not going to use. The reason why you do it in Safe Mode, is so that the computer will have a better chance of cleaning it properly. While you are already in Safe Mode, it is a good idea to go ahead and empty the trash and then defrag. If you have any questions on the specific applications that you have listed in the add/remove programs, feel free to post them here. I will go over them.

2) After defragmentation, I need to turn off the computer by physically turning it off or by perfroming a shut-down?

That is a great question :thumbsup: ! After you have finished defrag, you want to shut down the computer like you normally do. Some computers are different then others, but in almost all cases, you will use the START -> turn off computer. Models vary on if it displays "it is now safe to turn of your computer."

The reason why you want to wait at least 30 seconds before you bring it back up, is because that is what you are normally suppose to do. Have you ever noticed that when you are close to a TV and you turn it off, you hear small popping sounds. It is from the static electricity in the air, close to the electrical components. If you turn the TV back on right away, you stand the chance of that static charge arcing back to the TV. The same is true for the computer. Granted-it is a VERY SLIM chance, but why take the risk?

#7 larrysnatch

larrysnatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:40 AM

Ok. I followed the instructions: 1) Booted in Safe Mode, 2) Removed some applications (created 500mg of new space on the HD). 3) Performed a DEFRAG on the Hard Drive.

The defrag took approximately 6 hours to complete. The computer boots up much quicker (huge improvemet compared to before!).

However, the computer still freezes. Please note that it will also freeze if left untouched (15-20 minutes) after boot up. At one point I thought that it may have been related to the computer power save management being enabled, but it wasn't as it still freezes after I have disabled that option.

Any other usefull insights to this problem?

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:49 AM

O.K. here is a thought. I have win ME. Everything was freezing. Browser, Search for Files and Folders, and whenever I was Browsing for files. I ran AdAware and Spybot. Nothing. So I ran aČ and it found the Win32.Trojan.Small.i And freezing problem is gone. :thumbsup: Just to be sure I ran Free AVG. Clean! Besides it would not hurt to have this great program at your disposal. Link below. Good Luck!

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
Posted Image

#9 larrysnatch

larrysnatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:18 PM

Would pandasofware activescan find the Win32.Trojan.Small.i ? I scanned my computer over the weekend with pandasofware activescan. Result was clean!

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:54 PM

Not quite sure. Although I just searched the site for any info. regarding it. Came up empty. Hmmm... Maybe someone will bite on this thread that has some additional info. Like I said though it would not hurt to have on hand anyway. It comes highly recommended. It is a wonderful & simple program to run. On my 'puter it takes around 20 min. to do a full scan.

Also I can not be 100% positive that this trojan is what caused my freezing problem. But I have had no trouble since. BTW All of this occured in the last week.
Posted Image

#11 larrysnatch

larrysnatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:21 AM

I scanned my computer for viruses and the result is CLEAN! Any other Ideas?

#12 arawajo

arawajo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:20 PM

I noticed last time I did a Windows Update for Win98 it said there was an update to stop the present problem of freezing or shutting down or some such thing. Have you done a Windows Update recently? Maybe that would help.
Arawajo.

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:26 PM

About the only other thing I can think of is posting a HiJack This log. Not so much because you may have some sypware hidden there, as it is you may be having unnecessary programs starting/loaded. Mention at the beginning that you are having slow down problems and it will help pinpoint to problem.

#14 arawajo

arawajo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:06 AM

Jason, what do you mean when you say to post a Hijack Log? I went to Hijack site because this intrigued me but I don't understand how to obtain a Log File.
Arawajo.

#15 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:33 AM

arawjo, here is a link for starters to read about it.

How to submit a HJT log There is a new version of HJT and new versions generally work better. So, a new download link for it. HERE

Make that new directory (folder) befoer you extract (unzip) the download. (It will probably beon your desktop. (double)click, choose extract to: and browse for the folder you created). Then post in this location: choose new topic in this location, please. Right-click anywhere in the message field, your log will appear. Add your comments about the problems you are having so the person who sees it in the Hijack This Logs & Analysis section will know where you're coming from. Please be patient. Best thing to do after that is click "track this topic" so you'll get an email when the reply to your request for help is posted. Do'nt make any changes to your computer after posting and go online basically to get back here... limit the use of your computer for s few days. We will help you, but it takes us time to do all that is necessary to advise you carefully to avoid major work. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users