Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive hidden or dying?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:12 AM

Hi I recently formatted my desktop by fresh installing windows 10 and when I finish installing windows wasn't able to find the 1 tb harddrive but I went to bios and was able to see it there I also tried using parted magic to format the drive and after the restart I wasn't able to see it in windows. I also check the disk health of the hard drive and it said unknown. So my question is is my hard drive dead or is there any way to bring the hard drive back ? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:29 AM

Have you checked the cables on both ends for secure connection & inspected for damage? Don't assume anything, if you have extras, swap these. 

That's the first thing that I can think of at the moment. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

I checked the cable and it still doesn't show up. Now I also forgot to mention that sometimes the hard drive shows up but doesn't stay there for a long time it only stays there for a couple of minutes and then it disappears

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

Run Seatools for Windows hard drive tester. Download per the link below and install the program (free), and the next time the drive is visible immediately run the test as follows:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> The opening screen lists all the HDD disks in your computer.

> In the header, "Basic Tests" you will run two (2) tests, S.M.A.R.T. Check, and Short Generic. Simply click first on SMART Check and let it complete, then click on Short Generic and let it complete. Do not run any other tests or features.

> When each test completes, you will get either "Pass" or "Fail". Post back with the results of each of those two tests.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 October 2016 - 02:21 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:47 AM

I say to go with the advice that ranchhand_ has given first, then if you have a spare PC, try on that one. 

If the drive is showing as failing on one computer & healthy on another, then you may have another issue to address. Or if you've formatted the drive as GPT in a BIOS based PC for the W10 install, that's not going to work. Just trying to cover all bases, why I say to verify on a 2nd PC if possible. This is because I have had a HDD to not show up in one PC, yet did in another, had a MB issue. BTW, the offending OS was W10 (version 1511) for me also, and it wasn't long ago, right after the install that it happened. Had been running earlier W10 Previews & initial release fine, then reverted back to W7 as soon as I see it was activated with a digital license & imaged the OS for proof. Then I reinstalled W7 from the backup of that OS, and it ran fine until I tried to install W10 again (since I had a license). Upon reboot, I plugged in the Ethernet cable & the PC went bezerk, the OS crashed & BIOS began to beep within 30 seconds & I had to again revert to W7 & rescue the BIOS with the files & a Win98 boot disk on a 2GB SDHC card. 

About a couple weeks later, it did the same & was never able to revive again. Strange how an OS install can do this, especially considering I used the PC for W10 Preview testing a lot. I was one of those who got my license (or activation) a week to 10 days before the latecomers to the party. It's also strange how Microsoft says these computers that's running Windows 7, can run W10. I know for a fact that one of my notebooks can't, yet was nagged to death to upgrade....until I found a script to stop the nags. 

Hi I recently formatted my desktop by fresh installing windows 10 

Was there an upgrade install on there before this? The way this is worded somewhat implies so, though isn't 100% proof. Some folks says that they format the drive & 'fresh install' any new OS, though this is more typical of a reinstall that saves nothing, the user has already saved what was wanted & decided to begin anew due to troubles with the OS, or even the drive itself. 

That's why I say to test the drive on another computer, but do not boot the OS, by doing so, it won't be genuine, you'll be greeted to a black screen, or with W10, who knows what? :P

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Ok here's an update I started to mess around and try to format it through parted magic since it could still format the drive I think I selected the wrong option or it formatted it wrong but not I am not able to see the hard drive in my bios. Before this format I could see it in my bios. I don't currently have an access to another desktop so I haven't tried to put the drive in another desktop yet. Is there any way to recover the drive I am not interested  in recovering data I just want that 1 tb of space cause I am running windows on ssd so if there is a way to make it work that would be great

Edited by aakashpatelfang, 05 October 2016 - 06:53 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

> I am not able to see the hard drive in my bios

> sometimes the hard drive shows up but doesn't stay there for a long time it only stays there for a couple of minutes and then it disappears

I suspect that the drive is failing/failed. One last thing you can try is to set the BIOS back to factory default, just in case some settings got corrupted with the crashes and various utilities you have used. However, that is a slim chance. Did you try Seatools yet?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 aakashpatelfang

aakashpatelfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

Another update the drive shows up in parted magic but doesn't show up in bios. And no because after the post the drive didn't show up in windows so I wasn't able to find out.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:16 PM

Did you reset the BIOS back to factory default?

If you did and you still have the same problem, try two more tests:

>If you have access to another drive, connect that one and disconnect the problem drive. See if the new drive shows up in the BIOS. If it does not, you have a motherboard problem.

>Remove the problem drive and connect it to a different computer and see if that BIOS sees it. Possibly you can boot, but not necessarily. If the other computer can boot from it or its BIOS sees the drive, you have a motherboard problem.

If the other computer will also not see the drive, you have a failed hard drive.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:07 AM

I tend to agree with the advice that ranchhand_ provided above. :)

Testing the drives in another PC is the only way you'll know if these are good or not, unless you can get this one up & running.

By chance, how old is the CMOS battery in this PC? The most common type is CR2032 & sold in a pack of 2 for $5 at Walmart (Energizer brand), if so, it'll say '2032' somewhere on the part of the coin cell battery that faces upward & on the retail package where the rest of the batteries are, '2032' will be underneath the right side of Energizer in bold. I purchase the 2 packs because I replace at least 10-12 yearly for others, not counting any for myself. Plus these has a long shelf life & just a little dollar more than a single battery. If you've never replaced the battery & it's over 5 years old (or has been in storage & pulled out), there's a chance at one last shot before declaring the MB dead prematurely. 

After re-reading through the Topic, I don't see that you have, and all we know for sure is that you have a 1TB HDD & a PC. No details about age, make & model, anything that can assist with searching for solutions, something you may want to consider when creating future Topics, include as much information about the hardware as possible. This allows us to search for the most accurate answers as applies to your make & model of PC & other hardware, to include the HDD. Some PC's (as well as brands themselves) are known to be troublesome, while others reliable for years, though the CMOS battery should be changed every 5-6 years to prevent troubles. One sign of this, even w/out a HDD installed, is to boot into the BIOS, set the time & press F10 (or whatever designated key to save & reboot), then unplug, let sit about 5 minutes & reboot into the BIOS. If the time doesn't hold, the battery needs replacement. 

Am stating the part in regards to posting full hardware specs (as much as you know) in your OP to provide the best experience here possible & for that reason only. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users