Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Log Service Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to fix up my parents computer that is running Vista Home Premium but I can't get the Event Log Service to start, and as a result, Task Scheduler won't start either, nor will any of the services that require Task Scheduler in order to work, like defrag. Not sure if it is what is causing System Restore to not work as well but it isn't working either.

System Restore appeared to be working as programs like Revo can make restore points, but I cannot make one manually and of course, it doesn't make the scheduled restore points due to Task Scheduler not working. I did not notice that I couldn't make restore points in System Restore until after I ran the Windows Repair from Tweaking.com.

The Windows Repair program caused some problems so I went to use System Restore only to find that Windows Repair program had deleted all of them, even the one I told the Windows Repair to create wasn't there. That program also caused some other problems but thankfully the registry backup I had it make was there which helped me resolve the problems it created. It was then that I tried to make a restore point and found I could not do it.

In any case, I am left with my original problem of the Event Log Service not starting which I need to have running in order to have the Task Scheduler work. Both are set to automatic in services but neither will start. When I try to start the Event Log Service, I get a Error 1747: The authentication service is unknown. When I try to start the Task Scheduler I get Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Everything else seems to be working fine and it appears that the problem with the Event Log Service may have been caused by the updates that windows did on the system June 19, 2016 as that is the last time there was anything written in the events log.

I have thought about uninstalling the dozen or so updates that were installed that day, but not sure if that would fix it, even if it was an update that broke it.

I found online that some people have had a problem with the Event Log Service and were able to fix it by resetting the winsock, but their problems seemed to also involve the internet, which mine do not. Nevertheless, I tried it but it didn't work.

I also tried just disabling the Event Log Service and restarting the computer, then resetting it to automatic and restarting the computer, but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thank you for any help anyone can give, it would be very appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:19 AM

It may be worth having a look at a fix mentioned here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/unable-to-start-event-viewerevent-log-service-on/2c2eae52-67c0-425d-a154-ede59d6c9eaf?page=2

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:41 AM

Hi Opera,

Thank you for replying and for the suggestion. I looked at that earlier and I do have a log folder in that directory. I deleted all the logs in it and it didn't make any difference. I then tried deleting the whole logs folder and making a new one, but that didn't work either.

The other suggestions in that thread didn't work either. :(

I have also tried it in safe mode, didn't work there either.

It is funny that you posted that when you did, I had just come back to edit my post to add that I had tried deleting the logs in that folder without success.  I also want to add that I did check the registry file and my permissions are set to full for the Event Log Service.

I really do appreciate you checking into this for me, thank you :)

Edited by Stang777, 04 October 2016 - 01:54 AM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

I'm surprise that you had issues after running Windows Repair, I've always found it to be trouble free.

Have you tried asking it to set services back to default ?(choose only that tickbox) You only need to select the repair tab and not so any of the other tabs

Is the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service started and set to auto?

It may be your profile, have you considered a new one?

Some thoughts and info

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8070/how-to-fix-a-windows-vista-7-or-10-corrupt-user-profile-the-user-profile-service

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:29 AM

Hi again,

Thanks for replying again and offering more suggestions, I appreciate it.

I was surprised I had problems after running it too. I read so many great reviews of it and saw it recommended here so I thought it was totally safe. I did have it reset the services but since I had problems with it, I started thinking that maybe it just didn't do everythign and I figured if I only had it reset the services I wouldn't have any problems with it, I was wrong. I just ran it and had it restart the system, and now all I am seeing is a black screen.

I will shut down completely, do whatever I can to get it to boot up and then I am uninstalling that piece of crap program and never running it on any system again.

Yes, I have tried a different profile, created one after I got the system to come the last time the system didn't come up after running it.

I highly recommend nobody runs this program, regardless of the success others have had with it.

Thanks again for your help, if you think of anything else that might help, please let me know

Edited to add that I got the system back up and running after my most recent scare from the system not starting back up after rerunning that horrid program.

I think that program messes up the registry regardless of what it is set to do, which really did me a favor. It made me realize how much I need something to make sure if I have issues with the registry, I have a way to undo it, especially since System Restore is not working and I remembered Erunt.  Now I have that installed and have a backup of the registry made with it. I feel better now :)

Edited by Stang777, 04 October 2016 - 04:38 AM.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

Does anyone know if one removes updates after they have broken a service, if the service will be restored to the state it was in before the update?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users