Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidental Deletion Of Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 itchycoo

itchycoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:13 AM

I share my pc with a flatmate, we each have a passord although I am the main user. I switched on yesterday to find my password reset and all my files gone. Photos, uni notes, personal diary, everything i had saved. My flatmates info is still there. Could she have accidently done something to my part of the memory? Is there a way of getting my info back or is it gone forever, my recycle bin says it's empty, I am heartbroken, all my photos and uni papers.
Running Windows XP home edition.
Does anyone know about this password thing, will I be able to find my stuff? :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:21 AM

Sign on as administartor and explore the drive to see if there is a profile for you that isn't showing up when you sign on with your username.

#3 itchycoo

itchycoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

I am the administrator and thats what's wrong, any idea if this could have happened accidently or what.

#4 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

there is a difference between logging in as 'administrator' and logging on as a user with 'administrator' rights, do you mean you can't log into your user account with your usual logon name because the password has been reset?

if you start your computer in safe mode, a logon for 'administrator' should appear. if you log on to this account with an administrator password, you should then be able to reset your own logon password back to what it was, and hopefully then see you own files, etc. if you never set an 'administrator' password when installing windows, then try clicking the administrator icon without a password and you should get in.

if, once you have reset you own login password and logged in as normal, you find your photos, files, etc, are gone, you could try a recovery programe to see if you can restore your stuff. as i rarely use these programmes i'll leave it for someone more knowledgeable about them to maybe recommend one!

it is always wise to make regular backups for situations such as these. there could be many reasons why such a thing could happen. the main thing to do is learn from the experience and back up everything.

good luck

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

How did you login if your password was reset?
How did you know what it was?

#6 itchycoo

itchycoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:46 AM

I'm using my Mum's computer at this time. Sorry I 'm a bit confused, I'm fairly new at this, I will try the "safe mode" thing and see what happens. I will let you know how I get on, it will be a couple of days before I get home to my computer :thumbsup:

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

I'm confused here:

You say:

1) The password on your computer has changed

2) You cannot log on

3) Your files are gone

Questions: How do you know your files are gone if you cannot log onto the computer? Were these files in shared folders? Your documents would not be visible from your flatmate's account if hers is a user account. Only administrator account users can view all the documents. Likewise, the contents of your recycle bin would not be visible from her account. Consequently, if you were looking at the computer from your flatmate's account, you would not see your files unless they were shared.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users