Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Samba share doesn't account for mounted drives (can't transfer lots of files.)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 corrado33

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

I have a samba share sharing a folder on my linux server. The operating drive of the computer is a small drive, but I have a few LARGE drives connected to it as well. I've mounted the large drives inside of the folder I've shared. However, when mounting the folder in windows (over the network) it still only reports the capacity of the main (small) drive. Which means I can't transfer large amounts of files (larger than the capacity of the main drive.)

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?

EDIT: The samba config is pretty much stock, I literally just allowed myself to connect then started it up. By default it shares my home folder.

EDIT2: Kinda fixed it. If you make the mount point of the drive the root of the samba share, then windows will at least allow you to transfer large amounts of files, but it does NOT report the available capacity of the drive "XXX TB available of XXX TB". It just doesn't have that text at all.

Edited by corrado33, 03 October 2016 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

I'm not sure you will actually get the available capacity, no matter what you do. I have my samba share on the same drive, and it doesn't tell you how much space you have left. If you think about it, it shouldn't work that way. You are sharing a folder (even if it is the root of the drive) so it doesn't really know how much space there is, just knows how much space its using. Its more or less a dynamic space. It will get as big as it needs as you put more stuff on it.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)
Bachelor of Science in Computing Security from Drexel University
Security +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users