Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time for a Tune Up!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xxdeusxx

xxdeusxx

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

(I'm not sure if this is going to be the correct forum to post in, so please move it if it's not)

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 through the free update.  I've been having some issues with stuttering and choppy-ness on Youtube videos while browsing the web in other tabs.  I've tried to reinstall Chrome and my Adobe Flash but nothing seems to help.  I'm pretty sure it's mainly driver issues.  So if anyone could help me get all of my driver issues sorted out, along with anything that might help boost the performance of my rig, it would be greatly appreciated.  

Windows 10 64 bit, 16g ram, gtx 970, asus sabertooth 990fx rv.2, OS installed on an ssd, and two hdd for storage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

First remove Adobe Flash unless you absolutely need it or, ensure it is not using AutoRun to automatically load videos because its the biggest attack vector to any windows, mac and linux PC..

Run the command Cleanmgr.exe as administrator, tick all boxes and hit delete to remove all the old windows updates (Note if you do you will not be able to restore back to 7 as it deletes all the old install files from windows 7 but gains around 4 gig in space).

Run the command devmgmt.msc, right click the Graphics device and see if there is any updates.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 03 October 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#3 xxdeusxx

xxdeusxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Still seem to be having sound and mouse stutters when I'm loading multiple tabs or watching videos and doing other things.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

If you did not update your graphics drivers after the upgrade I would uninstall your geforce driver if it is listed in Control Panel uninstall programs and install the latest GTX970 driver. Only uninstall the video driver.

Here is the latest driver for Windows 10 64bit

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107564/en-us

I would also update your audio driver.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

Edit: Create a Restore Point before updating your drivers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 October 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#5 xxdeusxx

xxdeusxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:31 PM

No luck, still has the same problem.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

I don't think this is a hardware problem but to rule it out you can boot a live linux disk of Mint. I would recommend v17.2 which includes all codecs. Boot the disk after burning the iso file. See if you get skipping on your videos. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190

Have you tried doing a clean boot? Disable all startup items and services as shown in the guide

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

#7 Ignisinitium

Ignisinitium

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:18 AM

Try removing the GeForce drivers with display drivers uninstaller and then do a fresh install of the GTX 970 driver. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

#8 xxdeusxx

xxdeusxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

It's not only when I have multiple windows open.  It happens when I try to do various tasks at once, like play games and listen to music, or browse while using a torrent application.  Sorry for not stating that earlier.

#9 xxdeusxx

xxdeusxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:37 AM

Actually I think I just realized what it might be.... Utorrent, my browser and cache, are installed on my oldest hdd, that I suspected of going out a couple years ago.  I've since backed up everything on that drive to a newer hdd, although the torrent software and browser stuff might still be running off the old drive xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users