Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Seem to Stop This...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mozart7

Mozart7

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hello to the good people at Bleeping. I've got a problem which I can't seem to figure out

OK, awhile back, I was getting some pop-ups that stated "Script keeps running" or something to that effect. There were a few others worded a little differently, but they all asked me if I wanted to stop the script, which I would have to do

It became very annoying so I researched it & ended up changing how long the scripts would run & a few other things. I don't remember what I actually opened to do that as it was awhile ago, but it seemed to help a little

Anyway, in the last few months, my computer is basically under a script notice pop-up siege. It runs extremely slow, & then the barrage of script pop-ups start. The computer will freeze up, then the pop-up notice, then it takes about 3-4 minutes to stop the script. I also get some low memory notices, but those are rare

It's happening constantly now, making it hard to do anything on my computer

My RAM is usually around 75%, & my usage is around 25%, so I don't see a problem there, although I'm not sure

What causes this & how do I fix it?

Thank you for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hello Mozart, and welcome to BC!  By the way... you are one of my fav composers, and I would like to know if you felt that you were advancing into the Romantic period with the structural composition of your last symphony #41, the Jupiter?  :wink:

ANYWAY, back to boring, old computers. 

So, you have a runaway script? That could signify a corruption in the OS, or possibly a virus.

First, boot into Safe Mode without networking and use the computer as you normally would. If the problem stops or continues, post back with the result. Safe Mode will look and feel a lot different because it loads only the basic drivers to get your system booted. You will not have sound, and the desktop will look very primitive, but don't worry, a simple reboot will put you back into regular mode. Post back with the results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Mozart7

Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hi ranchhand, & thank you for replying. Actually, I'm a drummer, a rock drummer to be exact. During tours I was advancing into the sex, drugs & rock & roll period, which might not sound so romantic, but it sure as hell was a lot of fun!

I will do as you suggest & be back with the results

#4 Mozart7

Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:57 PM

OK, I got on in safe mode, with the intention of surfing around to see if the problem occurred. But, I couldn't open any sites. When I clicked on both IE & FireFox, the standard google page would open up, but nothing would open from there

IE stated I wasn't connected to a network, & FF stated the server couldn't be found. I got the same message for numerous sites. Obviously, sites are opening when I'm in normal mode

Quite odd & adding to the mystery I guess

Any other suggestions?

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

If you will notice in my post above, I told you to enter "Safe Mode without networking" so that is why you could not access the internet. We restricted the computer from loading the networking files.

I wanted to see:

#1...if something was loading in normal boot that was the problem.
and #2...had the same problem without the internet, or if the problem only happens when you are surfing the internet;

You got the Google page because that was in the cache, but you really were not connected.

> Repeat the same test again using Safe Mode Without Networking as I said above in the first post.

> If your scripting problems stop, then re-run the test again, only this time choose Safe Mode With Networking (which loads networking) and see if the problems start again or not.

> Now, IF the problems do start only when you are on the internet, re-boot into Safe Mode With Networking  again, and run each browser singly by itself to see if the problem starts with only one of the browsers. That will narrow it down to FF or IE.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 October 2016 - 10:17 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Mozart7

Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

ranchhand, thanks again, I thought I did go into safe mode without networking, but I could have inadvertently hit "with networking". I'll do all you suggest & be back ASAP

#7 Mozart7

Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

OK, I've started in safe mode without networking several times & the same thing is occurring. Firefox can't find server & IE says I'm not on a network, which means I cannot surf to see if the script problem is there

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

Again, since you started without networking, FF and MIE will not be able to access the internet since it was disabled. However, you did not state whether you are still experiencing the same script-running error that is the problem. So.... with internet service not working and booted in safe mode, are you still getting the same script running error that you have been experiencing?

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 October 2016 - 07:38 PM.

#9 Mozart7

Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Geez ranchhand, my apologies, I was misunderstanding what you were telling me. I feel awful. OK, I'll do the safe mode thing again & just tinker around & see if the script things come up

Thank you for being patient

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

No need to apologize; computers are confusing enough, but trying to explain them gets worse. :)

#11 Mozart7

Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

Will be back soon

Edited by Mozart7, 09 October 2016 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users