Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compress Files To Send Via Email

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:43 AM

i want to compress files to send via email i have WinRAR but for some reason it stays the same size. IS there something i'm not doing right? or if it doesn't do that is there something better which is free? like i downloaded an update for nero which was compressed as 34MB but when i extracted it it was 110MB so something like that would be good. any help would a appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

Generally, the amount of compression is proportionate to the size of the original file; the larger the file, the more compression you would expect to see. I don't think, though, that any compression scheme would be able to compress 110Mb to 34MB.
What size is the original file? What size when compressed using WinRAR?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:25 AM

You could try WinZip.

Posted Image

#4 Digidave

Digidave

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

i want to compress files to send via email i have WinRAR but for some reason it stays the same size. IS there something i'm not doing right? or if it doesn't do that is there something better which is free? like i downloaded an update for nero which was compressed as 34MB but when i extracted it it was 110MB so something like that would be good. any help would a appreciated.

What kind of files are you trying to send? If they are already compressed like a .jpg or .wma they will not compress more. They may even grow in size.

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

i purchased an entire album from the internet (MP3 files x12) and i want to compress the folder with the 12 audio files (39.6mb) so it doesn't take forever and a day to send. It's a gift for a cousin' as they don't have a music shop where she is. Only internet. But she won't purchase from the internet because she scared about privacy etc. So i thought i could send the audio files through email to save the trouble buying a blank CD, a case, a packet, a trip to the post office, pay for postage, and i have unlimited internet and paid for it.

the original size of the Nero updte file is 110mb it was downloaded from Nero's website at compressed, at only 34mb, when i extracted the files it was 110mb. so i thought you could compress an mp3 cd.

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

So i thought i could send the audio files through email to save the trouble buying a blank CD, a case, a packet, a trip to the post office, pay for postage, and i have unlimited internet and paid for it.

Wouldn't you be going against copy-right laws by giving it to someone else?

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:29 AM

If you bought it from iTunes, I don't believe it is against copyright laws, because you are given a certain amount of copy limits. Pluss as long as he destroyes the files he downloads, then it isn't illegal (assuming there were purchased through a legit service (such as iTunes)).

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

MP3 files are already compressed. You can't really compress them any more.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 25 August 2006 - 04:47 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

If you bought it from iTunes, I don't believe it is against copyright laws, because you are given a certain amount of copy limits.

I believe that only counts if you're using it for your own purposes (one copy for the car, one for the home, etc.), not to give it to someone else.

I could care less, just passing on what I think is a copy-right rule. But, I've been wrong before. :thumbsup:

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

I believe that only counts if you're using it for your own purposes (one copy for the car, one for the home, etc.), not to give it to someone else.

Right... then buying someone an album in the store, and then wrapping it up and giving it to them would be copyright infringment.

Edited by yano, 25 August 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#11 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:12 AM

Right... then buying someone an album in the store, and then wrapping it up and giving it to them would be copyright infringment.

There's a difference, you wouldn't be keeping the original. Or making you a copy of it before giving it to them.

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

Pluss as long as he destroyes the files he downloads, then it isn't illegal (assuming there were purchased through a legit service (such as iTunes)).

There would only be one copy then. Who says I can't buy a CD in a store, take it home make a copy of it, give it to a friend, then destroy my original CD or give him both copies. (giving him both copies would be the same thing as if he bought it).

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:00 AM

the files will be destroyed afterwards. i don't like the particular artist. i don't see any different than buying the CD at a shop and posting it as said earlier. Yano, i like your last post. Make a copy from the original, give the copy to someone, destroy the original. LOL.

1. i've legally purchased the album.
2. Want to send via email, want to compress it, but if i can't i will just send it in 2 parts.
3. once all files arrived to destination.
4. destroy the files.

that should be legal shouldn't it...

#14 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:33 AM

Who says I can't buy a CD in a store, take it home make a copy of it, give it to a friend, then destroy my original CD or give him both copies.

And I'll believe that if you believe I've got some good land down in South Florida to sell you. But, you better bring a really big pump. :thumbsup:

#15 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:14 AM

Forever and at day, is indeed what it would be this way, I suggest that if he lives near you use an external harddrive and just pass it to him, or better have him listen to the stuff first on your comp first, because a) mp3 does not compress much, :thumbsup: sending it will take forever, c) he might not like the tracks either, d) while sending it over the Internet both yours and his system would have resouses drained(slowed then) by the process) e) I imagine you would have to wait until he has heard them for you to then delete the files your end in case he says that x or y track didn't come through could you send it again.

Sorry if I sound negative here, it is for the best that I am clear though.
everyday is a gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users