Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting laptop does not show anything on screen

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DPtheGod

DPtheGod

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

Hey guys,

I am having an issue where when I boot my laprop up, the power light comes on, and then my WiFi button comes on, but absolutely nothing happens with my screen. I have an HP Pavilion DV6 6c10us, running Windows 7, and it has a light that turns on, on the outside of the laptop, when powered on. This also still lights up.

I tried plugging my laptop into an external screen--nothing.

Tried unplugging the ac adapter, and removing the battery, plugging both back in--nothing.

Tried unplugging both and holding the power button for 30 seconds, plugging both back in and powering on--nothing.

Tried taking RAM out, putting it back--nothing.

Tried switching my RAM cards--nothing.

When I turn it on normally, it always sounds like the fan immediately kicks into high and the laptop blows out hot air, so it seems like it's overheating all the time (which probably happened...)

I was just using it two days ago, shut it down and tried using it today to these problems. When I removed and put the RAM cards back, I didn't put them back right and when I powered my laptop back on, it beeped at me a number of times. Not sure if this is noteworthy.

When I power the laptop on in its current state, it sounds like the hard drive, fan, etc turn on but it's all so quiet I cannot tell for sure.

Any ideas? If it did overheat, would replacing the motherboard fix it? Thank you!

Edit- I do want to point out that my caps lock key was blinking slowly, but I didn't see how many blinks because I didn't pay attention, not knowing this was an error code. It looked like it just continuously blinked slowly, though.

Edited by DPtheGod, 03 October 2016 - 01:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwhitted24

jwhitted24

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

Quick google search and this turns up:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Pavilion-dv6-3040sa-black-screen-flashing-caps-lock/td-p/2361299

check the blink pattern and it should help you figure out what the problem is.

#3 DPtheGod

DPtheGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

I should mention that my WiFi light stays red, the power and caps lock white. That link says if it blinks once, pauses, blinks once, pauses, etc. It's a CPU failure. Does it matter how long it pauses for? Mine is pausing for roughly 1-2 seconds then blinks again.

A link I found says if the wifi light is red it might be a BIOS corruption. How would I test this? Would it do anything to my hard drive?

Also, do you know of any good sites to buy processors? Preferably one with used options. And, what would I need to look for to make sure it's compatible with my laptop?

Or, if I ordered a motherboard from Amazon, would it include the CPU?

Edited by DPtheGod, 03 October 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#4 ManlyMcManlyton

ManlyMcManlyton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

It looks like that laptop's CPU is removable so technically it could be the CPU or motherboard, probably best to take it a store where they can test it.

#5 DPtheGod

DPtheGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

I actually found a refurbished processor on amazon for $10 with shipping from a high rated company so I snagged it.

I have a question about the blinking for caps lock.

Here is a quick video I did to show what it does:

Watch "Blinking caps clock" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/LiWvknbEKYg

Does it looks like error code 1? Maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me, but it almost looks like it blinks 3 times slowly, then takes a longer pause.

Gah this sucks :(

#6 ManlyMcManlyton

ManlyMcManlyton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

Try the CPU then if that doesn't work try the RAM.

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2016 - 10:53 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#7 DPtheGod

DPtheGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

Will do, thank you!

Do you know if refurbished parts are typically okay? I will probably do refurbished RAM. I found a refurbished motherboard for $47 on amazon!

Do I need any special product to put the new CPU in? Like any heat paste? This will be my first time putting a CPU in :(

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#8 Bendfella

Bendfella

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:44 PM

hp has a history with its BIOS so dissasemble the laptop, remove the cmos battery for 5 min and put everything back. 

#9 ManlyMcManlyton

ManlyMcManlyton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

Will do, thank you!

Do you know if refurbished parts are typically okay? I will probably do refurbished RAM. I found a refurbished motherboard for $47 on amazon!

Do I need any special product to put the new CPU in? Like any heat paste? This will be my first time putting a CPU in :(

Always buy from reputable seller and you need thermal paste just a blob the size of an uncooked grain of rice. 

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#10 DPtheGod

DPtheGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

hp has a history with its BIOS so dissasemble the laptop, remove the cmos battery for 5 min and put everything back. 

I will try this! I assume a quick youtube video will show me how to do it?

@ManlyMcManlyton Thank you! I'll look for some cheap paste!

Edited by DPtheGod, 03 October 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:14 AM

I will try this! I assume a quick youtube video will show me how to do it?

@ManlyMcManlyton Thank you! I'll look for some cheap paste!

If you can afford it, don't go too cheap on the thermal paste, Arctic MX-4 is what I've used for years & especially for a notebook, you want a really good paste. Inferior pastes may cause the temps to rise more than quality brands, plus MX-4 has a long warranty, 6-7 years minimum. 

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Performance-Compound-Interface-Material/dp/B0045JCFLY?th=1

Look to the right where is says 'Other Sellers on Amazon' & and you'll see that Platinum Micro offers it for $7.15 with free shipping, great price (could use another tube myself). :)

EDIT: Ordered! :thumbsup:

Prior to that, was using Arctic MX-2, and before that, any cheap paste on promo (huge mistake). Never use Arctic Silver (which is not related to Arctic) Ceramique 2, that stuff causes the CPU to bond to the heatsink, and on a notebook one, there's no room for error, you don't want the heatsink to be bent. 

Good Luck with your project, and while you have things apart, make sure that all is blown out as well as possible, some stubborn lint may need to be manually picked out. I don't recommend, unless absolutely necessary, a complete teardown for the purpose of cleaning, though remove what you can. Such as RAM covers, HDD/SSD's, optical drives, the keyboard if not hard to do (some notebooks requires this to replace CPU), the more that's out of the way, the better. 

Plus have a twin pack of what's known as 'air dusters', mine's called 'Ultra Duster', though there are various brands, office stores has this product also & normally a twin pack is a better value, plus if the first time cleaning, both cans may be needed. Don't hold at a close range, other than blowing removed parts, such as the fins of heatsinks. Rather, have the dispenser about 4-6 inches from the surface or area & blow in short bursts. When you no longer see dust from that area, work around doing the same. Now inspect for 'hung' lint & pick it out (may want to blow the area in reverse afterwards). Once you no longer see dust, that should be it, though keep in mind, if not torn all the way down, there still may be some. And if there's a smoker in the dwelling, this will make removal harder, as a sticky residue will be on the components. 

I hope that you get what you desire accomplished with as little trouble as possible. :)

Good Luck. :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 04 October 2016 - 03:22 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 DPtheGod

DPtheGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

Oh sweet thank you for the link! I will add it to my cart. Would you happen to have a recommendation for the thermal compound remover I can use for removing the old CPU? Or would any one work just as good?

I'm praying it's the CPU or the CMOS battery as mentioned earlier, or at worst, the RAM, because replacing the motherboard feels like it will be a true test of patience :(

I will be sure to get a few cans of air, too! Is it possible too much dust could have caused the issues I'm getting now? Would it be a bad idea if I used q-tips slightly dampened on the dust particles stuck to the motherboard, if any?

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:07 AM

Would you happen to have a recommendation for the thermal compound remover I can use for removing the old CPU? 

Well, you remove the screws from the heatsink, which is copper & kind of long, and then gently wiggle it from side to side a bit to break the seal, you'll feel it, then lift the heatsink out (make sure that any fan connectors are disconnected), and I suggest that you take pictures along the way. A digital camera is best, though some cell phones works good as well. 

As to the cleaner, 91% rubbing alcohol at most any store for under $2, and if you have any, a couple of coffee filters for the final cleaning. Though you may use any lint free paper towels first to get the bulk of the old paste off. Q-Tips are also good to have to work in crevices. 

First off, go ahead & clean the heatsink up good, remove all traces of the old thermal compound. There's likely dust in the fins, so be sure to blow these out with air dusters designed for this purpose, preferably outdoors. :)

Once you have it good & clean, now take one of the coffee filters & soak with the 91% alcohol & rub the CPU & GPU contact (if applies) well, you'll see that the paper towels didn't get it all. Do it until no more gray shows & allow to dry. Now for the CPU. Before you remove it, clean it up, though don't get lint everywhere, do it more gentle than the heatsink & note the position of CPU before removal. Raise the lever that secures the CPU (you may have to pull the locking lever over a bit for it to raise), and using a Q-Tip, clean the excess thermal paste from the CPU and MB. There should be a notched screw (note position), turn it a quarter to half a turn gently to raise the CPU for removal & set it in a position where no pins will be bent. 

Make sure all is clean in the area, sometimes thermal paste may go beneath the CPU at bit (a sign of too much applied). Now place the new CPU in the socket & turn the screw back exactly the way it was to lock it down. We're now getting ready for the install. Take one of the coffee filters & clean the surface of the CPU good, though more gentle than with the heatsink, keep cleaning until no more residue shows. Allow to dry 10 minutes, if you have a discrete GPU (you'll know because there'll be a place on the heatsink for it that you cleaned), place a small drop on it (very tiny), then an oat or rice grain size drop on the CPU. Now lower the heatsink into place, and wiggle a bit to make the paste spread. Take the screws, and in a criss-cross pattern, tighten the screws in three rounds, the first should be just sung, the 2nd & 3rd is just making sure it's going to say in place. Don't over-tighten, you'll take a chance of cracking the GPU or damaging the MB. 

You want the heatsink to stay in place, but don't need to torque it like a set of lug nuts on rims. Just snug it down good. Now reassemble the rest of the notebook & hopefully it'll boot. :)

If not, you may have a motherboard issue, or a backlight one (the screen isn't working due to the inverter needing replacement). 

When I power the laptop on in its current state, it sounds like the hard drive, fan, etc turn on but it's all so quiet I cannot tell for sure.

More evidence pointing towards an inverter.

I found a refurbished motherboard for $47 on amazon!

You mean you likely found a used motherboard on Amazon, someone else's troubles. This is one item that I'll never purchase used, for starters, to fully refurbish a MB would cost a lot more than $47 in parts alone. There's the DC jack to replace, make sure there's no bulging capacitors, no loose or corroded PCI/PCIe/RAM ports, and all connections like new. I seriously doubt at $47, the MB has been refurbished, which is why I stated likely used instead. 

Too many sellers on Amazon/eBay declares their components as refurbished, when in fact all these received, if that, was a cleaning. 

Hopefully the CPU will do it, though seldom do I see one causing video errors. 

EDIT: Correct spelling typo above to say 'dry'. 

Do it until no more gray shows & allow to dry.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 05 October 2016 - 01:47 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 DPtheGod

DPtheGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for this info! I'll have a much easier time replacing the CPU. So I can use the alcohol as opposed to the compound remover?

I tried finding a replacement inverter online, but can't seem to find one for my HP DV6 6v10us. What is the likelihood it would work if it works with 20+ different dv6 models? I'm starting to feel I might be in over my head :( lol

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

Yes, I've used mostly alcohol since beginning this hobby in 2007, though on a couple of occasions years back, used nail polish remover, which also worked & is low in cost. :)

Though my personal preference & recommendation is 91% alcohol, not the 70% product, it's not strong enough to cut all of the old paste off w/out a lot of effort. I've never went through the expense of the two bottles (a package) of cleaner & prep that's commonly found on some sites, what I use works fine & have never had issues with my method post install. 

Good Luck with the job! :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users