Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Ext HDD 1021 not working properly

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bramish

Bramish

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

It's about 2 years old and I've had no problems but now it's not working properly.

It shows up in Device Manager and says the device is working correctly, but clearly it's not. In My Computer it's labelled only as Local Disk D: with no text showing the capacity etc.

I tried disabling and re-enabling the drive, tried uninstalling but it will "uninstall" forever and never finish. Even random things on my computer take forever to load when I have the drive plugged in, like MS Word. But when the drive is unplugged, everything runs smoothly.

Same thing happens on any other computer I try and use it on.

If the disk is kaput then so be it, but there are a few programs that are installed to that disk, which I obviously can't uninstall now, and I'd like to do that before installing them on a new drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

You may be able to pull the data with a live linux disk. Download UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD. Boot the disk and in the menu section select Parted Magic. If you are on Windows 8 or 10 you will need to disable SecureBoot and also Quickboot/Fastboot if in UEFI settings. 

See this guide on using Parted Magic. 

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

#3 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thanks. Tried that but I get a File Does Not Exist Error when I try and open the File Manager for the bad drive...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

Was the drive listed in the mount box of Parted Magic as shown in the guide I linked to?

pmfilec3.jpg

With the external hard drive attached open terminal. This is the small icon of a monitor with a > prompt in the lower left of the desktop. Type the following command.

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,model

You can copy and paste the output into your next post. Parted Magic should allow you to connect to the internet. If not possible then post whether your external hard drive is listed in the output.

#5 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:58 AM

yeah, the drive is listed and can be Mounted.

NAME   LABEL     SIZE FSTYPE   MOUNTPOINT  MODEL
sda            111.8G                      Samsung SSD 840
├─sda1           100M vfat                 
├─sda2           128M                      
└─sda3         111.6G ntfs                 
sdb            931.5G                      Ext HDD 1021    
└─sdb1 Data    931.5G ntfs     /media/sdb1
sr0    UBCD536 622.8M iso9660              CDDVDW SH-224DB
loop0           43.3M squashfs             
loop1          245.8M squashfs             
root@partedmagic:~#

Edited by Bramish, 04 October 2016 - 04:58 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

When you click the green mount button next to the drive it becomes red with unmount, correct? And you say when you double click sdb in the upper left pane you get a file not exist error?

#7 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

Exactly.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

On parted magic is a program called Gparted. If you run it is there a exclamation mark next to sdb. If there is click on the exclamation mark or warning? In the upper right you select your device in the dropdown box. Make sure you are working on sdb.

device.jpg

#9 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

OK. And then...

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

Clicking on the exclamation mark or error warning should give details on the problem. Is there an exclamation or warning icon next to the partition in Gparted?

#11 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

On /dev/sdb there is no exclamation, but a padlock.

#12 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

Oh, I changed it from Read Only, and now there is an exclamation mark.

Warning

Unable to find mount point

Unable to read the contents of this file system!

Because of this some operations maz be unavailable.

The cause might be a missing software package,

The following list of software packages is required for ntfs file system support>

ntfsprogs / ntfs-3g.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

That is strange as Parted Magic is supposed to have that package. The padlock indicates that the partition is mounted. 

I think the next thing to try is using a another small distro to try and recover the data. If that fails then we can use another tool on the UBCD to try and recover the files.

Download Fatdog64. Burn the iso to disk. Boot and at the desktop attach the external drive. You should see a USB icon appear on the desktop next to the sdaX partitions. Click once on the USB icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager open with your files. If the partition mounts and you see your files post back and I will give instructions on copying them to the hard drive. If the partition does not mount then we will need to try the other tool on the UBCD.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-702.iso

#14 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

Excellent. I see them!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

Nice,  

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 or sda2 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition you can resize and move the sdaX and external drive windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the external drive window to the sdaX window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 October 2016 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users