Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update settings for October

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

A very simple question please.

Considering the changes for WU coming shortly, and I assume the three categories of updates (important, recommended, optional) no longer exist or apply, and that we either install the Update rollup they send or not, should the Settings be adjusted to "Install updates automatically"?  Currently, I have "check for updates but let me choose.....".  Will any of the Settings make a difference or will the October Update just get downloaded and installed regardless of Settings - unless of course WU was turned off.  

I don't intend to turn WU off, but my HP laptop has gotten cranky in its old age, and I haven't had the ability to "restore to an earlier time" and some other defects for many months (and do not want to attempt repair of System Restore again right now).  Would it be best to wait and see how the October rollup affects other older laptops or just install what MS sends because it includes the security update?

I currently have 23 optional updates waiting to be downloaded and installed.  I'd prefer not to do that.

Thanks for some guidelines.

HP Pavilion g7

W 7 Home Premium

EAM 

MBAM Prem

Edited by jackiemarie, 03 October 2016 - 09:55 AM.

EAM, Malware Bytes Premium

HP g7- Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

If you have check for updates but let me choose when to install them you will still get a notification of the rollup package and you will have the option to install or not. If you avoided any important updates in the past those updates will be installed in the next rollup. Microsoft will be offering monthly security only rollups via the Windows Update Catalog site which can only be accessed via IE. These will still be rollups so you will have to update all the monthly security updates or none.

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

Thank you JohnC_21,

I'm not knowledgeable enough to fully understand your answer.  Are you saying there will actually be a choice as to getting the W7 monthly security update?

Either  1)  change my WU setting to "Install updates automatically" and the WU rollup, which includes the monthly security update,  will be downloaded and installed automatically, OR

2)  via IE, access the Windows Update Catalog site and choose and download only a monthly security update?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

Microsoft has said that when the rollup packages are rolled out in October security only updates (monthly, not cumulative) will be available at the Windows Update Catalog site. You will need to download an addon from Microsoft if you have not visited the site before. Your options are.

1) if you change WU settings to install updates automatically the updates include all security updates. If you have not installed important updates in the rollup package they will also be installed along with the security updates. There will no longer be a way to not install important updates you do not wish to download.

2) Go to Windows Update Catalog site with IE and download the monthly security rollup package that will include all security updates for that particular month.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-7/servicing-model-windows-7-and-81-shifts-rollup-patches-versus-individual-updates

In October, when this process begins, there will be a new monthly rollup that will contain bug fixes, reliability and security patches. That rollup will eventually become 100% cumulative as Microsoft adds all of their previous patches to it and they expect this process to be complete in the next year or so. This also appears to be the patch that will eventually contain all of the past security patches for the above mentioned versions of Windows that are moving to this new servicing model. Each month this rollup patch will be updated to include the latest system patches from the previous month as well.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 October 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#5 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

Gracious.

What about the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup?  Will that be published via WU or does it even apply to my laptop?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

I am not sure but I believe it would be because the rollup will include all fixes and reliability updates. If WU determines you have .NET on the computer I can't see why it would not update via the new WU rollup packages.

#7 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

Pasted below from the Comments section of the MS article you referenced,  the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup will be cumulative IF the word "supersede" means what I think it does.
Correct?

Dave Kelly

is the .NET Framework Monthly Roll-up cumulative like the monthly roll-up or or just the updates for the current month like the Security only updates?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

If that is the case then you should see these monthly .NET updates on the WU site. In any case .NET will be update if auto updates is enabled.

From the blog site.

The .NET Framework Monthly Rollup is a single install that updates each supported .NET Framework version on a machine to its latest respective update level. Each Monthly Rollup supersedes the last one, so if you’ve missed the last few months of updates, you only need to install the latest rollup to update to the latest update level. The Monthly rollup will not install a new version of the .NET Framework, only security and reliability updates.

#9 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Thanks so much for patience and help. :clapping:

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

No problem. Glad I could help. Have a nice day.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

There is more info in an update published yesterday...Oct 7, 2016....

More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes – Windows for IT Pros

When reading the info in the link John provided I saw that Microsoft is removing the Active X requirement and sometime soon

you will be able to download security updates using browsers other than IE. Soon...is all that is said...no date or other clue given.

QUOTE from above link: Each month there will be separate updates released for a variety of reasons (e.g. DST time zone changes, out-of-band security fixes). Many of these will be rolled into the next monthly rollup, although some will remain separate- including Office, Flash and Silverlight updates.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

Thank you for alerting me to the new update info buddy215.  

It almost seems like MS has loosed chaos theory into what has been my rather desperate and possibly naive attempt to hold on to Windows 7.  Just glancing at articles about Windows 10 updates seems rather chaotic too.  I value order because presently my tech knowledge is far below par,  and I cannot buy my way out of disorder.  

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

On we go.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

There is more info in an update published yesterday...Oct 7, 2016....

More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes – Windows for IT Pros

It looks like we will now get a monthly security rollup as well as a monthly cumulative security rollup which is nice. I wonder what the baseline will be for these security updates? On a clean install one may need to do the regular cumulative updater through WU.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 October 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#14 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

I think that I understand what's written above, but just to be sure....the Monthly Rollup will include Security Patches as well as updates to the OS itself, but the Security Updates will only contain updates that affect system security, and they must be downloaded manually from the Windows Catalog.

Since I'm always a little cautious about new changes from Microsoft, I was thinking about turning off Windows Update for a few days until I see if other people are having problems with the new version of Windows Update. If I turn off Updates until, say, Friday and then enable Automatic Updates will the latest rollup that was released on Patch Tuesday be downloaded and installed or will I have to download it manually?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

I think that I understand what's written above, but just to be sure....the Monthly Rollup will include Security Patches as well as updates to the OS itself, but the Security Updates will only contain updates that affect system security, and they must be downloaded manually from the Windows Catalog.

Since I'm always a little cautious about new changes from Microsoft, I was thinking about turning off Windows Update for a few days until I see if other people are having problems with the new version of Windows Update. If I turn off Updates until, say, Friday and then enable Automatic Updates will the latest rollup that was released on Patch Tuesday be downloaded and installed or will I have to download it manually?

Correct. The monthly cumulative rollups using Windows Update includes all fixes and reliability updates including all important updates including the telemetry updates. Eventually Microsoft will include all updates in the rollup going back to SP1 from what I have read. The security only updates can only be downloaded from the Windows Update Catalog. These will include monthly only rollups and monthly cumulative rollups so if you miss one month you can download the current month cumulative rollup and receive the previous month's updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users