Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 issue or virus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ibleedart

ibleedart

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:45 AM

I hope I'm posting in the right place here. I was using my Acer Aspire V5-572P-4429 laptop this morning when the following popped up on the screen. I Google and it says that could be an update issue when a character is missing but the warning about a Trojan worries me. Ran a virus scan with Avast with nothing found, but has anyone experienced this or know if it's a Windows 8 issue or what? I have 8 not 8.1 still. I enclosed a screen shot taken on my phone. Thanks and sorry for the multiple typos before. I hate typing on my phone. Attached File  20161003_103244.jpg   155.02KB   0 downloads

Edited by ibleedart, 03 October 2016 - 10:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ibleedart

ibleedart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

I'm sorry having trouble editing the post to show the screenshot. I'm trying again.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

Hi ibleedart :)

This is a fake error message that is being displayed by a website you've been redirected to (probably via malvertising). The alert only exists within your web browser, so closing the webpage (or browser) will make it go away. Your system wasn't infected in the process. For more information, read the following post by quietman.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry3897161

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 ibleedart

ibleedart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

Thanks! That's what I was hoping lol. I closed out Chrome altogether when it came up and ran Malwarebytes too just to be on the safe side and it didn't find anything. I really appreciate the help! :)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

No problem ibleedart, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users