Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 crashing/BSOD when when opening games

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GeneralDrillhamster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

I don't have much time to actually work on this computer, as it's my sister's and I'm only visiting her until tomorrow evening. I may have her keep in touch on this post if it is not resolved by the time I leave.

In any case, the problems she has been having are really baffling me. I have not personally updated to Windows 10, so I'm not familiar with a lot here, but what I do know is that her laptop which should be plenty able to run some particular games, is crashing every time one is opened. Sometimes they just crash with a "stopped working" message, while other times I am getting different BSODs.

I have made absolute certain that her computer has been updated and that her Nvidia drivers are up to date (372.90 as of 10/3/16 1:22AM). I had actually completely uninstalled and reinstalled these drivers. 

Her specs are as follows: 

Acer Aspire E15 (recently bought within the last 2 or 3 months)

Windows 10 x64

Intel Core i5-5200U

NVIDIA GeForce 940M (4GB VRAM)

8 GB DDR3 

So far I have attempted opening up Age of Empires II HD and Life is Strange through Steam. AoE II crashes as soon as you begin a new game, but not within the initial menus. Life is Strange will crash and usually Blue Screen the moment you open the game normally. If you choose "Safe Mode" when opening through steam, the game seems to run just fine. I'm not sure how the other games decide to crash, but she said that Age of Empires III and Age of Mythology both crash upon startup, and all I do know for certain is that in my time trying to figure this all out tonight I ran into a number of blue screens. 

This laptop does have 2 video drivers, it seems. An Intel HD Graphics 5500 and the NVIDIA 940M. I had gone into the NVIDIA control panel and changed it so that it was the dedicated display adapter. 

From this point, I'm just out of options. I have attached the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip  but not the PERFMON report because it kept hanging for 10+ minutes. Hopefully I have at least given enough info to get some ideas flowing, anyway. 

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

The bsod seems to be caused by the video cards old drivers. It keeps referring to a WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT & dxgkrnl.sys, directx kernel crashing. See if you can disable one or the other video cards in the bios. There are Windows 10 drivers for the laptop, but you need to look on the bottom sticker for the exact model or serial number & with that information you can get your updated drivers here....http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Edited by technonymous, 03 October 2016 - 09:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users