Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network mystery usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 uncre8tv

uncre8tv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Sorry if this is a common topic. I'm new and searched, but perhaps didn't hit the right keyword.

I get a situation once every few days where my Win10 gaming box is hogging my WAN connection with no obvious reason. 

Task Manager performance tab shows the ethernet traffic spiking the WAN downlink (10mbit, I'm in the boonies on DSL) and using a good portion of the 1mbit uplink too.

Task Manager processes tab shows no processes using the network to a measurable degree.

My router is showing my PC flooding the link (router graph is where I spot the problem first, usually.) 

One time I traced the traffic to a random Level 3 IP in the middle of Kansas. I blocked that IP at the host Windows firewall and was trouble free for a few days. Then I got the same symptoms last week and didn't get a trace running on the router in time (duration is usually several minutes.)

So, all that is to ask this: Is there a 3rd party tool to run in Win10 desktop to see what services/processes are using the network *other* than the Task Mgr Processes tab? (again, the processes tab doesn't show anything using network during these bursts, though the performance tab does show the traffic on the ethernet port.)

thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2016 - 08:20 PM.
Moved from W10 Support to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

Glasswire will identify inbound/outbound connections, including IP addresses, which source/destination countries connected to, and applications directing said connections; an instantaneous click can shut down any undesired connection as well.....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

seeing if this link will post:glasswire-firewall.jpg

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 uncre8tv

uncre8tv