Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Fix Screen Dis-coloration?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Z123Killer

Z123Killer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

I dropped my Surface Pro 4 yesterday and now on the top right corner there is a little yellow circle. Is there any way I can fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

Unless you purchased an accidental protection plan with the computer, the only fix would be at a shop or self-repair (with a new Surface Pro 4 screen). You may want to review your warranty, some retailers shoves these down consumer's throats, while they're looking after the bottom line of the corporation, with computers, more years are better when new. Because usually after 30 days & that's with SquareTrade, any extra coverage opportunities are gone. 

Don't know of a way to fix a damaged screen other than replacement. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 October 2016 - 06:02 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Z123Killer

Z123Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

Unless you purchased an accidental protection plan with the computer, the only fix would be at a shop or self-repair. 

Don't know of a way to fix a damaged screen other than replacement. 

Cat

I've heard of ways of trying to fix dead pixels so i thought there was a way to fix my issue too. FYI when I apply pressure to the bezel near the affected area the little circle of discoloration goes away.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

It may be then that the bezel has came loose a bit, if so & not fixed, the spot will eventually spread further. While I'm not an expert in fixing these, have replaced entire monitors on notebooks with used ones. 

Yes, it's true that sometimes dead pixels can be fixed, and some OEM's allows for a limited number (more than 6 to 8) to be considered as 'bad' before replacement. Should be zero, yet for many OEM's, a half dozen are considered to be normal, though if new, one can return the notebook & shouldn't be charged with a restocking fee. 

In your case this is different, if the notebook shows obvious signs of droppage (scratches or dents), then there would be no coverage of the screen being replaced, unless there's accidental coverage on the computer. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Z123Killer

Z123Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

It may be then that the bezel has came loose a bit, if so & not fixed, the spot will eventually spread further. While I'm not an expert in fixing these, have replaced entire monitors on notebooks with used ones. 

Yes, it's true that sometimes dead pixels can be fixed, and some OEM's allows for a limited number (more than 6 to 8) to be considered as 'bad' before replacement. Should be zero, yet for many OEM's, a half dozen are considered to be normal, though if new, one can return the notebook & shouldn't be charged with a restocking fee. 

In your case this is different, if the notebook shows obvious signs of droppage (scratches or dents), then there would be no coverage of the screen being replaced, unless there's accidental coverage on the computer. 

Cat

I am sure the bezel has come loose a bit because the corner of the display was dented a little which caused the display to get a bit loose in that area. And my device does show a sign of dropping because the screen has a crack in the left side.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

In that case then, w/out an accidental warranty purchase when the computer was new, you're looking at a new screen, and for these, you'll pay because these are still new. :)

Am hopeful that any damage is confined to that area, it may be that you can use it awhile before replacement, depending on your financial situation (none of our business) and/or willingness to pay the price for a replacement, which may depend on more than price alone. If by chance you don't like the Surface Pro 4, or hasn't met your expectations, than you may not want to sink possibly a third (or higher) of it's cost at time of purchase to replace. Only you would know the answer to that. 

If by chance you do decide on another device in the future or replacement computer for this one, please consider an accidental plan at a minimum (the longer the better & pricing is less per year for additional ones), these are often priced less than an entire extended warranty & well worth it when needed. As you now see, accidents can happen in a split second & less than $100 for 3-4 years protection can save a huge repair bill. 

If you have any skills when it comes to notebook repair (or know one that does), you can save on the cost of labor & hiked up price for screen by self replacement, or get a break by the one performing the repairs. However, note that if the system is still under standard warranty, this may void it if further damage(s) are caused. 

While this may not be the outcome you wish to hear, someone has to inform you. :)

Regards,

Cat

#7 Z123Killer

Z123Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

In that case then, w/out an accidental warranty purchase when the computer was new, you're looking at a new screen, and for these, you'll pay because these are still new. :)

Am hopeful that any damage is confined to that area, it may be that you can use it awhile before replacement, depending on your financial situation (none of our business) and/or willingness to pay the price for a replacement, which may depend on more than price alone. If by chance you don't like the Surface Pro 4, or hasn't met your expectations, than you may not want to sink possibly a third (or higher) of it's cost at time of purchase to replace. Only you would know the answer to that. 

If by chance you do decide on another device in the future or replacement computer for this one, please consider an accidental plan at a minimum (the longer the better & pricing is less per year for additional ones), these are often priced less than an entire extended warranty & well worth it when needed. As you now see, accidents can happen in a split second & less than $100 for 3-4 years protection can save a huge repair bill. 

If you have any skills when it comes to notebook repair (or know one that does), you can save on the cost of labor & hiked up price for screen by self replacement, or get a break by the one performing the repairs. However, note that if the system is still under standard warranty, this may void it if further damage(s) are caused. 

While this may not be the outcome you wish to hear, someone has to inform you. :)

Regards,

Cat

I think I can use the device for a while before I need a screen replacement because the discoloration is minor and doesn't really bother me considering it is where the X button is which i don't look very often. But do you know of any sites that sell replacement screens and should I trust eBay when buying a replacement screen?

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

But do you know of any sites that sell replacement screens and should I trust eBay when buying a replacement screen?

You may want to price around, starting with a local PC parts warehouse as a base price. If you call Microsoft, then you may be asked lots of questions, in particular the serial of the computer. 

For this new of a device, I'd be very careful with eBay sellers, though you have protection for 180 days with PayPal against fraudulent sellers. You'd still have to either install it yourself, or pay someone else to, if you don't feel comfortable performing the procedure. Plus being new as it is, you're not going to save that much cash via eBay sellers (if legit). Fair market price will apply on eBay for this new of an item. Usually the best deals for computer components on eBay are for older models & the price isn't much. I've purchased a couple of Dell Latitude screens (for C640 & D610), though neither was more than $30. This was because by then, the computers were over 5 years old, and while the monitors functioned correctly, both had noticeable scratches on the back, though this was in the description. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users