Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to install Wi-Fi on an older (c. 2004) Windows XP PC?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

Hello

Due to some unexpected circumstances in my life I will be switching back to my first computer in a few weeks time. I'm not particularly informed when it comes to technology so excuse my poor descriptive skills. I do however know that the PC I'll be using is over a decade old, has a 1.6Ghz single-core AMD processor, a 128MB video card, 512MB of RAM (DDR 2, I believe), 80GB hard disk, a floppy and CD+DVD drive and all the other devices that usually came with the standard computers at the time. It has a Windows XP Service Pack 3 OS. I remember that I have left the machine completely clean both inside and out of the case and also free of any bloatware software-wise. It was stored in my closet along ​​with it's monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers under a blanket - so I know I wouldn't have a problem with it starting up and performing as well as it did the day we bought it.

The problem I have is t​hat we've been using a Wi-Fi network at our apartment for the past couple of years and I am 100% sure that the computer doesn't support Wi-Fi and can only be used with an Ethernet cable plugged-in to get online.

Naturally, my question is as follows:
Is there a way that I could somehow install Wi-Fi on the computer through, I suppose, an outside device that can be plugged in it or maybe an internal hardware upgrade? Does such a thing exist or is this computer doomed to never get connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi?

Once again, I would be greatly appreciative of any helpful answer since I am not the wisest, nor the most experienced when it comes to gadgets. And please excuse any mistakes that I might have made in my request - English is not my native language, so I would be more than helpful on expanding on any of the things that maybe have not been clear in the text.

Thank you. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 02 October 2016 - 05:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hi

Is there a way that I could somehow install Wi-Fi on the computer through, I suppose, an outside device that can be plugged in

You could try a WiFi dongle they are cheap and work well.

Something like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-150Mbps-USB-Wireless-N-WiFi-Lan-Adapter-Dongle-High-Signal-Gain-802-11n-g-b-/261495370521?hash=item3ce256b319:g:BE8AAOxyrrpTjE6R

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hi

Is there a way that I could somehow install Wi-Fi on the computer through, I suppose, an outside device that can be plugged in

You could try a WiFi dongle they are cheap and work well.

Something like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-150Mbps-USB-Wireless-N-WiFi-Lan-Adapter-Dongle-High-Signal-Gain-802-11n-g-b-/261495370521?hash=item3ce256b319:g:BE8AAOxyrrpTjE6R

Thank you, this appears to be exactly the type of thing I was looking for - seems both effective and easy enough to understand for someone like me. Thank you once again :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 02 October 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

You are most welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users