Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes and Avast software...do they like each other?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:59 PM

I have a Windows 7 Pro computer. I use the paid version of Malwarebytes for malware protection, and I use Avast Free anti-virus for my anti-virus program. I've been thinking of upgrading my Avast to the Premium version. This version of Avast has anti-malware protection as well as anti-virus. I know that I'm not supposed to run TWO anti-virus programs, but how about two anti-malware programs? Am I likely to have problems if I install both of these programs on the machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

A similar statement is in this Malwarebytes HelpDesk Article: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

Quietman,

Thank you for the information. From the link to your article on the subject, it looks like running both Malwarebytes and the "paid for" version of Avast in real time protection mode would not be a wise thing to do.

I don't know if there is a way to run the Avast anti-malware in "stand-by" mode, so I might be better off to install the Avast package and make it my real-time protection, and keep Malwarebytes inactive and use it occasionally to check for anything that Avast missed. Plus the Avast package seems to have more features than Malwarebytes.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

There are several anti-virus products which also include some anti-malware protection...ESET, Emsisoft, Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials are some examples. This type of built in anti-malware protection is limited and should not interfere with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

The information I provided in the link above is more in regards to running two separate but dedicated anti-malware products in real-time...i.e. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Hitman Pro, Zemana AntiMalware, etc.

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which includes much better anti-malware protection than avast, alongside Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium. The same is true of ESET...much better anti-malware protection than avast and runs file alongside Malwarebytes.

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

Quiteman,

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which includes much better anti-malware protection than avast,

When you said EmsiSoft "anti-malware" above in the last paragraph, did you actually mean "anti-virus"? It's a small point, but I just wanted to be sure that I understand correctly because in the first sentence, you stated that EmsiSoft is an anti-virus program.

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 02 October 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:51 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Emsisoft uses two scanning engines, combining its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus and three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavior blocking analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate.

So despite it's name, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antii-virus program...see Emsisoft FAQs: Why is it called "Anti-Malware" and not "Antivirus"? and if you are using it, there is no need for avast.

By using either ESET, EAM or avast with Malwarebytes Premium, you would be running one anti-virus and one anti-malware program not two.

Note: The free version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware does not include real-time protection in its freeware mode...it is a on-demand cleaner only. If that is the version you have, then you do not have it's anti-virus protection.

#7 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

Quietman,

Okay, so with more reading, I answered my own question. Based upon your statements above, I may purchase EmsiSoft Anti-malware and use it to replace the Avast Free anti-virus that I'm using now.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

That would be the way to go. Not only is it a better product but unlike avast, Emsisoft leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance.

#9 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Quietman,

I went to the Emsisoft web site to download their anti-malware program. I saw an Anti-malware suite and an Internet Security suite. Both of these programs seem to be about the same as far as features go - except that the Internet Security suite has a firewall included along with a price tag that is $10 higher. Since I'm running Windows Firewall, do you think that I should go ahead and buy the Internet Security software anyway? If so, should I disable the Windows Firewall?

I'm also running Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. I assume that all three of these programs will co-exist together.

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 06 October 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

Emsisoft Internet Security is a complete security suite which combines Emsisoft Anti-Malware with an efficient powerful firewall created using the same core previously found in Emsisoft Online Armor. The rest of the software code is hand·made by the Emsisoft team.

Anti-virus Software which includes a firewall and other features are typically called a Security suite (package). Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

There should be no conflicts with those three programs.

#11 FindTheWay

FindTheWay

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:07 AM