Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video, can't determine why

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vespid

vespid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

A system I built for someone else a year or two ago, originally Win 7 but now upgraded to Win 10. They had been having trouble with the video not showing up off and on when turning on the computer (while I was out of the country) and now, in the middle of a Windows update process, nothing shows on the monitor at all and while the fans do spin, there is no POST beep (and the little speaker does work, see below).

Things I've tried so far without success:

1. Swapped monitors and cords

2. switched from VGA on the basic graphics card (doesn't need a PCI-E power cord) to the one on the motherboard, both several times and with/without the card installed

3. tried the DVI instad of VGA,

4. removing/reversing sticks of RAM. Tried each of the two sticks alone with no change, but with both sticks out I got the triple beep that I assume is to tell me there was no RAM installed but at least I know the onboard speaker works.

5. Tested the PSU with a multimeter, both the 24-pin and the 4-pin with the connectors loose and underload when attached to the MOBO, nothing looked bad

6. removing all connections (USB, network) other than the power and video cord

6. hitting all the F keys I can to try and get it to boot to BIOS, but get nothing to come up

I really thought it was going to be the PSU. Next time I go over I thought about pulling the CMOS battery to do a reset and bringing some sort of boot disk to see if perhaps the BIOS is corrupted, but I'm running out of options that don't include replacing the MOBO and the major headache that would cause. Any other ideas anyone might have would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

vespid,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums!

We'll do our best to help. :)

I guess a beginning point, since you can't provide a Speccy snapshot, would be to list all of the hardware used to build the computer with & we can go from there. Hopefully you've saved receipts in case a warranty replacement is needed, sounds like a MB issue to me, based on what you've stated. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 vespid

vespid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

vespid,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums!

We'll do our best to help. :)

I guess a beginning point, since you can't provide a Speccy snapshot, would be to list all of the hardware used to build the computer with & we can go from there. Hopefully you've saved receipts in case a warranty replacement is needed, sounds like a MB issue to me, based on what you've stated. 

Cat

Removing the battery didn't solve it so I put in a different, verified working PSU and didn't fix it either. Guess I'm going shopping for a new motherboard. The one that is there (msi FM2 a75ma p33) is really only available as refurbished on ebay. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:11 AM

Sorry to hear that, vespid. :(

There are bound to be some new FM2 MB's around because there are still new 'FM2' CPU's available. I was able to find an AM3 ASrock 970M Pro3 I purchased not long back, to go with a (initially) AM3 Athlon II x4 630, then upgraded to a newer FX-6300, still available today on Newegg. 

As to eBay & motherboards, please use this as a last resort, it's not like the the model when new had the best reviews. I never purchase hardware or software that's 3 egg (or star) rated (though may had been rated higher at the time of your purchase). Someone may be trying to shove their problems on you & while you're protected by eBay protection, as well as 180 days for PayPal, you want reliability, not another's junk. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130708

Is this MB over 3 years old? I ask because that's the warranty term as shown on the site. If it's less than 3 years old, even by a day, you are covered if you file a claim. Though you'll have to bear price of return shipping. 

Yet if you're not interested in that MB, there's still new options for FM2 CPU owners, more than there are for AM3 users. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=fm2&ignorear=0&N=100007625&isNodeId=1

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 vespid

vespid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

Sorry to hear that, vespid. :(

There are bound to be some new FM2 MB's around because there are still new 'FM2' CPU's available. I was able to find an AM3 ASrock 970M Pro3 I purchased not long back, to go with a (initially) AM3 Athlon II x4 630, then upgraded to a newer FX-6300, still available today on Newegg. 

As to eBay & motherboards, please use this as a last resort, it's not like the the model when new had the best reviews. I never purchase hardware or software that's 3 egg (or star) rated (though may had been rated higher at the time of your purchase). Someone may be trying to shove their problems on you & while you're protected by eBay protection, as well as 180 days for PayPal, you want reliability, not another's junk. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130708

Is this MB over 3 years old? I ask because that's the warranty term as shown on the site. If it's less than 3 years old, even by a day, you are covered if you file a claim. Though you'll have to bear price of return shipping. 

Yet if you're not interested in that MB, there's still new options for FM2 CPU owners, more than there are for AM3 users. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=fm2&ignorear=0&N=100007625&isNodeId=1

Cat

I'm planning to just swap out the motherboards and hope the rest of the computer won't notice, but it is out of stock everywhere, including that newegg link. If I try to do that with another board, won't I likely have to reinstall everything? Not looking forward to reloading Win7 from 4 years ago and doing all the upgrades, along with whatever other software is on there.

Edited by vespid, 05 October 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

Yes, you don't want to keep the drivers from one MB on your OS. So if you're attached to that MB, you can take the eBay chance, you have protections there, plus 180 days of PayPal protection. If there's any issues, these will likely arise before then, and I suggest that you not 'go easy' on it once installed. 

In other words, if a gamer, dive right in. :)

If not, then use other benchmarking tools to push things above the limit. You want to give it a complete workout to ensure all is OK. :thumbsup:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users