Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 or PC Issue

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

Have an issue may not be a Win7 issue. I conducted a clean install on my kids PC, and was following the sequential updates as posted in another thread so that I could conduct update. After the 4th of 8, the computer froze up. I uninstalled that and reinstalled it, then it happened again. I then stopped installing any more and just let computer run. It again froze up.

I talked to my kid, and he said that is what it was doing before I started all this. So that tells me that it might be a hardware problem.

Any idea what it might be? Is this a bios issues, hard drive, processor?

Thanks,
Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

Ok, thanks.

Will take me a bit to figure out how to do all this posting and pasting between 2 different PC's. The one I am working on has no internet connections to copy and paste. Until I can get it stable, I can't update the IE and such. I will have to download the tools on this computer, then put them onto the other via stick, then copy the screenshots to a stick and post with this PC that's assuming the other one stays stable long enough to do any of this.

Kevin

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

No one here punches a clock or has a quota of any type...post when it's convenient.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

Both of these applications are portables, this means that you will not need to be install.  

Download the applications to your computer and transfer them to a flash drive.

Open the flash drive on your son's computer, click on the application and run it.  

The Speccy Snapshot will create a hyper link that will appear after following the instructions. Open your topic, right click, then paste the link in your topic.

After the MiniToolBox runs it will create a text report of the findings, copy this and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

I have not been able to successfully install anything, but knowing I can run from stick (at least MTB), I will save the screen shot to same stick and post here. The PC has no internet connection as I have been unable to complete Win7 re-install successfully and therefore no functioning firewall.

It has froze at the bios boot up screen, it has frozen at the end of a "successful" memory test. Actually it got to 99% on the second pass, then I thought it was going to reboot, and it simply froze. I started it up in safe mode, and it has been stable for a couple hours. As mentioned before my kids said this is what it was doing before I reloaded the Win7. But since it seems stable in safe mode, that might point to OS, so will try reloading it again. maybe it was coincidence I am seeing freezing because of bad install, and they were seeing it freezing because it was separately corrupted. The win7 ran before successfully so it's not the disc I wouldn't think. The other thing I was going to do is flash the bios. The dell startup screen has a couple random letters showing up on it for some reason. Above dell.

Kevin

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

This being the case we are very limited as to what we can do.  One thing I believe would be a good idea is to run a diagnostic scan on the hdd.  What I'm going to suggest is a download which you use to create a bootable disc with the diagnostic on it.

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

Okay, data below.  Couldn't seem to find a way to paste capture from SPECCY.   My comments in next post. 

Speccy

Summary
  Operating System
   Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
  CPU
   Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz 29 °C
   Conroe 65nm Technology
  RAM
   4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 (5-5-5-15)
  Motherboard
   Dell Inc. 0YU822 (Microprocessor)
  Graphics
   DELL 2208WFP (800x600@1Hz)
   14MB NVIDIA Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (PNY)
  Storage
   298GB Seagate ST332062 0AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 37 °C
   122MB Ut163 USB2FlashStorage USB Device (USB)
  Optical Drives
   HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N SCSI CdRom Device
  Audio
   High Definition Audio Device

Minitoolbox output

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (10/04/2016 02:26:29 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (10/04/2016 02:23:21 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (10/04/2016 02:34:03 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )

System errors:
=============

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (10/04/2016 02:26:29 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (10/04/2016 02:23:21 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (10/04/2016 02:34:03 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

========================= Devices: ================================

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 16%
Total physical RAM: 4093.35 MB
Available physical RAM: 3430.37 MB
Total Virtual: 8184.9 MB
Available Virtual: 7493.59 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:288.04 GB) (Free:273.29 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (RECOVERY) (Fixed) (Total:10 GB) (Free:4.97 GB) NTFS
4 Drive f: () (Removable) (Total:0.12 GB) (Free:0.11 GB) FAT

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\DAVID-PC

Administrator            Davie                    Guest                   

========================= Minidump Files ==================================

No minidump file found

========================= Restore Points ==================================

04-10-2016 16:28:13 Scheduled Checkpoint

**** End of log ****

#9 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

After numerous failed attempts of getting the re-install to complete, I finally got it to so after it was stable for a couple hours, I was able to load USB in and run the above checks.   Before this, and the first time the other day where I ran into problems with updates, it has been getting stuck at updating registry, or it unzipping files etc.  Also, the windows memory checks were getting stuck, or not completing.  I also did that after this current successful install.  Computer has no internet yet, nor updates.  I can see above tht the video card is not recognized.  It was successfully running at 1680x1050 before all of this started.  It's not a high end card but in the range of a 9800 gt.  I still am suspicious of ram, video card, it's driver. 

I will try to install roll up update from a USB stick.  Then I can relocate PC and put an ethernet into it for a connection to windows. 

Any other ideas?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

Forget the updates for now...a stable system is necessary if any real troubleshooting is hoped to be accomplished.

Did you run the requested hard drive diagnostic which dc3 suggested?

Louis

#11 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

Not yet, I will try that next.

Before this most recent reload, it wouldn't even go into safe mode. Previous, it failed several times to complete ram test using windows ram tester. It would get stuck at 21% or there about. After this morning's reload, I was able to successfully able to use windows ram tester. The only hitch is that it just ended, and went to a grey screen. It didn't automatically shut down, and when I pushed the power button for just a second, it shut down. Upon a longer press, it rebooted, but didn't show the results. Although up to 99%, it hadn't found any errors. I also installed memory 1 at a time, and did a bios check on them.

I was also planning to figure out how to make a bootable USB for memtest86 which I have read about in here.

If anything pops out of data provided, let me know.

Kevin

#12 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

By the way,

Can anybody ID this PNY video card?  My son isn't sure, and I can see nothing written on it. 

It looks like a GT610 but the fan is wrong color.  He thinks it was 1 GB.  If so, it can max out this 1680x1050.  Currently, it seems that windows is only recognizing 1280x1024 currently as a max.  I figured I might need a driver.  Attached File  card.jpg   118.46KB   0 downloads

#13 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

I am pretty sure I could not get this to work correctly.  I burned the disk, but could not get the drive to boot. 

Will keep trying, maybe I messed something up in creating the disc which was a DVDR.  While trying to boot the analyzer, I stumbled on the bios disc analyzer.  I attach the image below.  It looks like I might have a problem?

Attached File  HDD.jpg   108.65KB   0 downloads

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

The image you posted indicates that the 0 disk failed the diagnostic.  The 0 drive is your hdd.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#15 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

Okay, would that cause the system to freeze up and win7 and/or updates not to install?

I assume so.

The system has now been stable for over 24 hours now on main windows screen. I stir it every few hours except last night. There are no updates installed nor internet access.

I suppose the way to verify is to do a scan with Seatool? I will see if I can get that running.

Anything else? Is this worth a cheap drive or should I just pick up another PC?

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users