Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Hard drive taken from external drive not detected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 corrado33

corrado33

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

I have (had) an external WD "My Book" hard drive. The USB connection started to get flaky (cord had to be plugged in JUST right for it to work), so I took apart the "my book" and put the drive in the computer itself (instead of the external enclosure). However, even though the BIOS detects the drive, windows to does not. Do the "My book" external drives have a special formatting or something?

I can see the drive in device manager, just not in my computer. 

Edited by corrado33, 02 October 2016 - 12:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

Please read this thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627820/wd-my-book-external-drive-not-working/?hl=%2Bbook#entry4091570

WD My Books have proprietary USB bridge cards that render them useless when it fails. See the links I posted in the thread including the video link.

#3 corrado33

corrado33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

Ah, so it looks like I'll have to do a data transfer then reformat to make it work? That's crappy. Especially considering it's my biggest drive...

Well, time to go find every other hard drive I own. Maybe I can raid them so it'll be faster... Especially since I have to hold the USB (I guess esata) cord in place...

Edited by corrado33, 02 October 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:03 PM

I think you are out of luck if the bridge card failed. WD uses a proprietary card and if the card goes bad you cannot retrieve the data by normal means. I doubt raiding the drive will work but try and see what happens.

#5 corrado33

corrado33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

I think you are out of luck if the bridge card failed. WD uses a proprietary card and if the card goes bad you cannot retrieve the data by normal means. I doubt raiding the drive will work but try and see what happens.

Ah no I planned on just transferring everything OFF of the drive, then taking it out of the enclosure and formatting it in the PC itself. A hard drive is a hard drive, it can't be special, I have to be able to format it. I wanted to raid the other drives, but it turns out that the limiting factor (obviously) was the USB3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users