Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After a Windows 10 update, unable to boot anything

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 the0dark0one

the0dark0one

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:50 AM

A friend of mine ran updates on his PC yesterday morning and then the computer began failing to boot.  It began looping the boot up screen until it attempted to try automatic repair, which it subsequently froze on.  Now, when it tries automatic repair, it reboots itself.  If it doesn't try automatic repair, it reboots itself.  I attempted to boot from the official Windows 10 Home DVD (not a burnt copy).  The PC gets to the blue Windows 10 logo, upon which it eventually reboots by itself.  I tried to boot using both bootloaders on the DVD, UEFI and non UEFI, both eventually cause the PC to reboot.  For extra measure, I also used the Windows 10 media creation tool from another PC to create a flash drive which was also unable to boot and causes the PC to reboot. 

That's the whole situation, and I'm running out of ideas to try.  

Here are his specs:

MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero VIII

CPU: Intel i7 6700k

RAM: 8gb G.SKILL 2133 x2

Video: Nvidia GTX 1060

PSU: Corsair 700b

Edited by the0dark0one, 02 October 2016 - 01:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Will do, thanks.  I'll get back on here with the results once we are done.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

In your UEFI settings make sure FastBoot is disabled. See page 3-43 of the manual. It's in the boot section of UEFI.

#5 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

In your UEFI settings make sure FastBoot is disabled. See page 3-43 of the manual. It's in the boot section of UEFI.

Yep, already tried with and without FastBoot, didn't make a difference.  I'm still running the hardware diagnostics that usasma recommended.

EDIT: Memtest passed

SeaTools couldn't find a hard drive...  Perhaps I'm using SeaTools incorrectly?

Edited by the0dark0one, 02 October 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#6 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

More details: I can boot freeDos but not puppy Linux.  I unplugged the HDD and attempted to boot puppy linux from a flash drive. That won't boot either. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

Was this Seatools for DOS? Seatools for DOS sometimes does not detect SATA drives.  If puppy failed to boot I would use Rufus with UBCD to create a bootable USB flash drive. Run Rufus and select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file. Press Start.

Boot UBCD and at the menu select Parted Magic. At the desktop click on Disk Health and run the short/long tests. Make sure SecureBoot is disabled if you have that setting.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 October 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#8 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

Yes it was SeaTools for DOS.  That makes sense that it couldn't see the SATA drive then.

I'm downloading BCD now.  In other news, I have gotten it to stop rebooting when attempting to load a Win 10 disc.  I disabled CSM, secure boot, and fast boot.  It never actually finished loading the Win 10 installer, it just sits at the blue Win 10 logo screen forever, but at least it has stopped rebooting.  I'll give BCD a shot once it has finish downloading in about 7 minutes.

EDIT: just another thought I wanted to add, this is seeming more and more like a MoBo issue than a Windows 10 issue.

Edited by the0dark0one, 02 October 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#9 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

BCD booted fine, the HDD passed the short test and the conveyance test.  It's currently running the extended test which says its estimated duration is 3hr30min.  

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

Interesting that UBCD boots fine but the Windows 10 install disk does not complete. You might want to download an iso of Windows 10 using the iso option of Media Creation Tool and use Rufus. When using Rufus with the Windows 10 iso select GPT for a partition scheme.

#11 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

Interesting that UBCD boots fine but the Windows 10 install disk does not complete. You might want to download an iso of Windows 10 using the iso option of Media Creation Tool and use Rufus. When using Rufus with the Windows 10 iso select GPT for a partition scheme.

Followed your instructions.  Still didn't work with the Win 10 iso with GPT and Rufus.  I just realized that If I have CSM disabled, the computer won't reboot but instead it will cut power to the keyboard and just sit on the windows 10 logo.  If I have CSM enabled, I get the reboot behavior.

EDIT:

I found multiple people with the same issue and no fix:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87940-asus-maximus-VIII-ranger-cant-install-windows

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2896677/asus-ranger-viii-code.html

Edited by the0dark0one, 02 October 2016 - 08:34 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

I am not sure if this will work but if you do the following does it allow you to get to Advance Boot Options. Power on the computer. When you see a spinning circle hold the power button and force a shutdown. Do this two or three times and you should get the Advanced Boot Options where you can do a reset of Windows 10.

Do you need to pull any data from the drive?

#13 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:04 PM

Yeah I already got the data that I needed off the drive using the UBCD and wiped it. The PC doesn't even get to the spinning circle when I try to boot the Win 10 disc or flash drive. It freezes or reboots at that screen. I should also mention the MoBo is stuck at that moment with Q-code 04.

Edited by the0dark0one, 02 October 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#14 the0dark0one

the0dark0one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

Following up.  After RMAing the MoBo, it came back and it still presents the same behavior.  Gets stuck at the windows 10 logo, however this time it has a different QCode.  This time, depending on how I try to boot the Windows 10 disc, it will either freeze on AE or AD before rebooting.  These represent Legacy Boot Event and Ready to Boot Event.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:08 PM

This problem occurs when starting the install? You created a new install disk using the Media Creation Tool, correct? 

Do you get to a point during the install where you see the language screen? I'm wondering if this could be due to some PSU problem.

Your settings are set to UEFI mode and not CSM/Legacy? Is SecureBoot enabled? A Windows 10 disk should be able to boot with SecureBoot enabled.

If nothing works try the following. Burn a iso of Mint Cinnamon 18 to DVD. Enable UEFI mode but disable SecureBoot. Does Mint boot to the desktop? If it does then there is either an issue with the install disk being corrupted or a conflict between Windows 10 and the hardware. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=217

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users