Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Y700 powerful enough?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheNewb

TheNewb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y700 15ISK I boight recently. Ive never been good woth computers, and im not very knowledgeable in any regard. Does anyone know if it willbe powerful enough to run Battlefield 1 and support multiplayer online when it comes out? Dont hold back, id appreciate any and all advice i can get! I hereby acknowledge that i am a total newb, layeth into me! :)

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2016 - 08:23 AM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:09 AM

It's a model still for sale, while that doesn't mean anything within itself, it's up to the consumer to purchase a computer that meets their needs, at time of decision. 

You can always ask the salesperson for advice, though it's best to know these things before asking a sales consultant, many will say what the customer wants to hear, first, to make a sale, second, to get the person off the phone, third, to keep their job & 4th to get the customer off the phone & move onto the next waiting sale. 

So to put it plainly, it's best for the consumer to know what's needed & allow for future growth. There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to a computer, unless it's used only for email, socializing, forum participation, things that doesn't require a high powered CPU or GPU, and 4GB RAM (preferably in two 2GB modules) version will do for this purpose. 

For gamers, there's no limit, the more power, the better, especially if you're competing in a community. The other thing, since one would have more CPU under the hood, the system will be less strained, meaning it'll run cooler. 

That said, take your computer out there & test it out! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 TheNewb

TheNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

It's a model still for sale, while that doesn't mean anything within itself, it's up to the consumer to purchase a computer that meets their needs, at time of decision. 

You can always ask the salesperson for advice, though it's best to know these things before asking a sales consultant, many will say what the customer wants to hear, first, to make a sale, second, to get the person off the phone, third, to keep their job & 4th to get the customer off the phone & move onto the next waiting sale. 

So to put it plainly, it's best for the consumer to know what's needed & allow for future growth. There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to a computer, unless it's used only for email, socializing, forum participation, things that doesn't require a high powered CPU or GPU, and 4GB RAM (preferably in two 2GB modules) version will do for this purpose. 

For gamers, there's no limit, the more power, the better, especially if you're competing in a community. The other thing, since one would have more CPU under the hood, the system will be less strained, meaning it'll run cooler. 

That said, take your computer out there & test it out! :thumbsup:

Cat

Well, the salesperson wasnt exactly "experienced" if you know what i mean, at that particular branch of bestbuy. I did however, know that that paeticular computer was a steal at the listed price (which was an error that they ended up honoring) based on the specs compared to similarly priced computers, so i bought it then and there, knowimg it was better than anything else i could get for my $300 at the time...

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:50 AM

In that case then, my suggestion is to try the games you like. :)

The ones it can handle, play those, the only way you'll know for sure what you have. And if you got it for $300 & it's capable of playing some of your favorite games, it's a steal. :thumbup2:

On the other hand, some of those Best Buy salespersons aren't as dumb as they may make out, although turnover is high due to their sales force not meeting 'quotas'. Not only do they have to sell computers, also a fair amount of 3rd party warranties that's no better & often worse than what the OEM provides, and still the consumer may become stuck with a bill, if not challenged. 

So there's a 50% chance that you really had an experienced salesperson playing dumb to gain a sale. I have a computer that's less than 4 years old that was purchased from there as New (Open Box), given to me after only 18 months of use, ran it myself for a few months & now it's sitting, has a 3rd gen i7 that was one of the last quad core notebooks produced on a mass scale. Basically another Best Buy offering by Samsung, the MB had to be replaced as soon as Windows 8.1 was released, then had to be returned again over firmware issues, in all, a total of 4 trips to Best Buy, and Samsung reimbursed her $250 for two 'improper' charges that Best Buy imposed. 

Plus whoever worked on it at Best Buy prior to the MB & firmware replacement scratched the bottom of the computer up like mad. :angry:

My relative gave it to me for setting up her new one, plus wireless network (new router), plus printer install. $1,200 before taxes for 18 months of use was a poor return on investment (ROI), she was simply fed up & wanted it out of her sight. 

So I suggest to give the computer a good workout. You can begin here with testing your PC, be sure to disable the AV while benchmark is running (background resources affects the outcome of test), the download is very small for the test, which after completes, will open in your default browser. At that point, you should then re-enable security for your protection. :)

http://www.userbenchmark.com/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users