Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corsair K70 stopped working - no longer recognized by Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikeshinobi

mikeshinobi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:37 AM

Let me begin by telling the tale of what lead to this point.

When I got home from work I discovered that my second hard drive had stopped being detected by my computer. My first thought is to reboot and go into the BIOS and see if it's being picked up there, but as of a month or two ago I hadn't been able to see the BIOS/boot up screens when I started my computer. After messing with that for 30 minutes trying to figure it out, it turns out it was because I had my computer plugged into my TV with an HDMI cable and set to "duplicate this display" which apparently means I can't see the BIOS/etc. All I had to do was unplug the HDMI cable and I could see it again.

So I get into the BIOS and the hard drive isn't there, so I figure I'll just open up the case and unplug it/plug it back in again. I do that and we were back in business as far as the hard drive was concerned. It also turned out my computer was way overdue for a dusting, so it's kind of good that I needed to open it up.

Unfortunately a new problem had suddenly arisen - I go to type in my password and I can't type? My keyboard is lit up and it was detected by the BIOS, but as far as Windows is concerned I don't have a keyboard. I use the onscreen keyboard to get in and find that in device manager Windows can see my keyboard but for some reason, it no longer knows that it's a keyboard. It's listed as a Corsair K70R Gaming Keyboard but it's listed under unknown devices, and it tells me it needs a driver. No problem - except that there are no drivers for a Corsair K70. Or probably any keyboard for that matter.

I mess around with it by plugging it into different ports/etc but it becomes pretty clear it's a problem with Windows and not a hardware issue. I should mention that my USB mouse works fine, and that I also tested the keyboard itself by plugging it into my laptop (I plug it in and it works instantly there - how nice!).

So with that epic tale out of the way, my question (somewhat obviously) is - how on earth do I get Windows to recognize my keyboard as a keyboard again? It seems to really want drivers, but it can't find any and I don't have any to give it. I'm contemplating just reinstalling Windows, because I have no idea what else to do. It doesn't help that I don't even know what I did to cause this in the first place! All I did was open up my computer and disconnect/reconnect a SATA cable, and suddenly Windows doesn't recognize my keyboard. I'm baffled.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that I never did plug that HDMI cable back in (I'm at work now so I can't test this) but it just seems highly unlikely that a HDMI cable being unplugged would somehow affect my keyboard.

Any advice/insight/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: One more thing I should mention is that while I was in the BIOS I didn't mess with any settings or anything; I just checked to see if it offered my other hard drive as a boot option (it didn't). So no I didn't change some USB setting in the BIOS or something, which wouldn't make much sense anyway since my USB mouse still works. But still, just saying.

Edit2: I'm just gonna add some keyphrases to this on the off chance we do figure out how to fix this, so that people who have this same problem in the future can find this post when they search. I searched high and low but it seems like no one else has had this exact problem, or at least just didn't post about it. Corsair K70 keyboard not working in Windows -  keyboard works on other computers - keyboard works in BIOS but not in Windows

Edit3: Here's a guy who had what seems to be the exact same problem: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138249 - his solution to the problem was of course to reinstall Windows, lol. It's just such a cop out solution though! I must know what's wrong and how to fix it! Ugh.

Edited by mikeshinobi, 02 October 2016 - 07:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

Does the keyboard work in BIOS? 

I'm not sure it will help but there is software listed for the keyboard. Select Keyboards in the dropdown box.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/downloads

#3 mikeshinobi

mikeshinobi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

Yes it works in BIOS, and all Corsair has for downloads for their keyboards is documentation and Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) which I'm pretty sure doesn't work with non-RGB version of the K70 even if Windows could detect it ;)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

You can try the following but this may not work. Download USBDeview. Detach the keyboard. Run USBDeview and uninstall any USB keyboard listing by right clicking. Attach the keyboard and reboot.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 October 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#5 mikeshinobi

mikeshinobi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home!

I've been tooling around with my home PC by connecting to it via remote desktop from my laptop but haven't made much progress. I've tried deleting registry keys for the keyboard under Enum/USB but that didn't do anything. I also already uninstalled all the USB keyboard listings I could find (unfortunately there was nothing that explicitly said it was a keyboard, it was all "USB composite devices" and things like that) so I just uninstalled all of those because the only USB devices I have are my keyboard and my mouse so I left the mouse ones alone. I restarted the computer (remotely) and it's still not showing up in Device Manager or anything but obviously I'm not able to unplug it and plug it back in so maybe that will do it. It's actually gone completely from Device Manager now (it's not listed under Other Devices anymore) so I think that's kind of promising.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

I think you will find that USB composite device will be listed in USBDeview as the USB keyboard. I ran USBDeview and there were about 4 entries under USB keyboard.

#7 mikeshinobi

mikeshinobi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

Well, I tried 10 million different things but nothing worked, so I just did a fresh install of Windows and now my keyboard works again. What a pain!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

Glad you sorted out the problem and thanks for the update.

Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and do a reinstall. In the future I would strongly advise you to create a complete disk image after reinstalling and updating the OS. You can use a program such as Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Both will offer to create a bootable CD or USB flash drive that will allow you to restore the image from the external drive should the computer no longer boot because of file system corruption, a failing drive, or in your case a keyboard that is no longer detected. Doing regular image backups allow you to recover in minutes compared to hours for a complete OS reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users