Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows server 2008 backup restore from earlier date. But how?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kkonline

kkonline

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:14 AM

Hi,

1. Windows Server 2008 is down due to ransomware.
2. I tried restore backup from setup disk.
3. Backup dated 29/9/2016. After restore, i found out the system has already been infected with virus.
4. How can I restore backup 27/9/2016?
5. Windows server backup feature in win 2008 is corrupted with renamed .lnk file.
6. Can I reinstall the windows backup feature in win 2008? Should I?

Any help will be appreciated.
Photo:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03zSGmipL5SMmxTdWJJdmFjX0k/view?usp=drivesdk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kkonline

kkonline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

I was using a daily auto schedule backup which comes with win server 2008. There shuld be system backup images.

Edited by kkonline, 02 October 2016 - 01:16 AM.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

Best bet is to reformat the hard drive (only if you have an installation disk), then from the install disk, select the option to restore from the backup. I'm not sure where you store your backups; if they're on a network share or external storage, make sure that is connected to and accessible from the server.

This applies to DCs, but will work with servers as well.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN156956/EN

#4 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

Best bet is to reformat the hard drive (only if you have an installation disk), then from the install disk, select the option to restore from the backup. I'm not sure where you store your backups; if they're on a network share or external storage, make sure that is connected to and accessible from the server.

This applies to DCs, but will work with servers as well.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN156956/EN

sflatechguy is correct. And then I would look into a different recovery option. Windows backup isn't worth staking your job on it takes a while to recover and the recovery options are limited. 

#5 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

Should also look at the ransomware topics on this site to see if maybe you can decrypt your files as well if your backups are totally hosed. Worth of a shot if you dont have a backup that recoverable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users