Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-malware over VNC, specifically JRT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zippydan

zippydan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:39 AM

From time to time I have to clean up a computer remotely.  My goto tool for remote access is VNC, and I have UltraVNC preinstalled and configured on all my users' machines.

ComboFix used to be a problem for me as it would disable UltraVNC, but since I've moved on to Windows 10, and ComboFix is not supported there, so it is now irrelevant.

It seems Junkware Removal Tool has now also added detection for UltraVNC, and disables it during its scan, which kicks me out of the session and leaves me high and dry.

My workaround for this would be to enable RDP temporarily so that I can log back in and turn VNC back on, but that is cumbersome and time consuming.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?  It would be great if JRT could be launched with parameters like:

JRT.exe /ignore ultravnc.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

I suppose prior to running JRT, a quick install/run/ and view of UVK's 'Process Manager' and 'Autoruns' might allow you to spot the miscreant app and terminate only the processes you choose, vice the 'kitchen sink' approach of JRT which will include your UVNC app....

I've had some good successes with UVK....; good luck, Sir!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

Is this your topic post at Malwarebytes?...UltraVNC False Positive?.

If not, it appears the issue has already been reported and addressed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users