Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my Laptop work if I go from 4GB to 8GB?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 E-Guilty81

E-Guilty81

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:04 PM

Spoke with Lenovo and also a "Tech" at a local MicroCenter store over the phone.  Cannot get a very definitive or even straight answer on the question from either.  Was wondering if anyone out there may know.  I have a Lenovo G550 Laptop I recently purchased on the very cheap in great condition at a local pawn shop, along with a brand new SSD to pop in it.  Less than 100 dollars got me both and I needed them after having my desktop stolen. Did a complete wipe with DBAN, reformatted and partitioned the existing 250 GB HDD installed and now am running a dual boot with Win 7 Pro and 10 Pro.  Happy as can be for a machine manufactured in 2010, just hoping to perk up the performance.  Lenovo would tell me nothing only that they don't recommend upgrading the laptop at all from the way they sold it, repeated back to me ad nauseum.  The guy at MicroCenter said you just gotta buy the chips, pop em in and see if it will boot lol.  I have read that this is maxed out at 4GB, so thinking about holding back on putting an out the box SSD in until I just bite the bullet and spend another 1200-1500 on a solid desktop and using it for that.  Does anyone know if my machine will handle the 8GB of RAM?  Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:15 PM

According to the specs 4G is the max.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:27 PM

. Did a complete wipe with DBAN,

Erasing all the data on the SSD:
It is not safe to use DBAN Nuke or similar on SSDs. First, it's not good for the drive, and second, it wouldn't work properly anyway. Not good for the drive because it writes to the drive too many times. Wouldn't work properly because just like the OS, DBAN and similar cannot control where it writes to on the drive. The SSD's controller is responsible for that, and due to wear leveling algorithms, wouldn't get you the intended results. With an SSD, all you need is to perform a "secure erase."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1231043/safe-to-run-dban-on-an-ssd/10

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 E-Guilty81

E-Guilty81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:35 PM

NickAu-Thanks for the info on DBAN and SSD's, I really didnt know that. I'm just starting to get into figuring all this out on my own and doing the work myself hardware and software-wise  Though I only used DBAN on the manufacturer installed HDD.  The SSD I got is still brand new and uninstalled in the laptop.  I saw that the specs say it is maxed out at 4GB as well technonymous, though have been told it may work regardless and there is no harm in trying as long as I keep the 2 old sticks to put back in and everything is removed/installed properly and carefully.  So do you guys think I will get a pretty good performance boost just leaving the RAM as is and installing the brand new SSD?  Or should I hang onto it and use it in a better machine when I acquire one?

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:47 AM

NickAu-Thanks for the info on DBAN and SSD's, I really didnt know that. I'm just starting to get into figuring all this out on my own and doing the work myself hardware and software-wise  Though I only used DBAN on the manufacturer installed HDD.  The SSD I got is still brand new and uninstalled in the laptop.  I saw that the specs say it is maxed out at 4GB as well technonymous, though have been told it may work regardless and there is no harm in trying as long as I keep the 2 old sticks to put back in and everything is removed/installed properly and carefully.  So do you guys think I will get a pretty good performance boost just leaving the RAM as is and installing the brand new SSD?  Or should I hang onto it and use it in a better machine when I acquire one?

I read that information from off the factory specs. It depends on the architecture of the motherboard & cpu.

As far as the SSD it can breath new life into any system laptop or desktop. It really depends on what you plan to use the laptop for. A ssd is fast, but for a older age laptop? I don't know for me I wouldn't bother. It would make more sense to use it in a modern faster desktop if you plan to build one or buy one. However, the benefit of a ssd in a laptop is a lot better than a 5400rpm mechanical drive. If it is going to be a everyday on the go laptop, then I would say yes put in a ssd. There is nothing worse than having data loss on a laptop and hearing that click of death. I got a old laptop too that just sits around because I have a rooted droid phone that has a quad core snapdragon cpu in it and 64g micro sdcard. Why lug around a laptop?? Whatever floats your boat I guess. lol :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users