Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 black screen. HELP!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesdf5

Jamesdf5

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hi all,

My wife turned on our computer today after an update. She went to load up a program that she uses but the program crashed. She rebooted the computer but it didn't load to windows. It showed a black screen with writing containing "Watch dog initialization".

Image: Black screen image with text

Can someone kindly offer me any advice on what to do?

UPDATE:  It's no longer doing this. It seems to be booting to windows but it's all black. It seems that Windows in now loading in the background but all i'm seeing is a black screen and a mouse cursor.  I know windows has loaded because i was clicking around the screen and Chrome must have loaded because the last thing i was watching on Netflix started playing through my speakers.

I've restarted several times but no change.  I would have tried to get into safe mode but some bright spark decided F8 was far to convenient a method. :( :( :(

What on earth is going on??

I will be grateful of the help

With thanks

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

Do you have AVG as an antivirus? I think your Windows 10 upgrade somehow borked AVG's Watchdog which by the look of it installs deep into the Windows OS. They may be a chance to bring it back put you will need to attach the hard drive to another computer in order to do a scan and disable the AVG services. If you do not want to do this I suggest you post in the AVG forum for a solution if you have AVG as an antivirus. Below is a thread at the AVG forum for your reference. If AVG cannot solve your problem then post back here and we can try to recover Windows.

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000D3DIAA0

Edit: Do you have a Windows 10 install disk? If not you can download it to a DVD on another computer using the Media Creation Tool. Boot the disk and select Repair Computer in the lower left window. From there you can select Troubleshooting > Advanced Options > Startup Settings and safe mode. If you can boot to Safe Mode uninstall your AVG program.

See the title

Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 10 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#3 Jamesdf5

Jamesdf5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:07 AM

Thanks John,

I do indeed use AVG.  I will try the windows repair first and if I have no luck i'll try the first option.  I will update later, hopefully with success

Thanks

#4 Jamesdf5

Jamesdf5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:44 AM

Hi John & all,

Ok so i've tried the windows disc. It won't boot.  I've selected it as primary boot device but it won't even spin the disc.  When i force windows into recovery mode (by switching off the computer during boot three times). even the recovery freezes and no option can be clicked.  I think Windows/AVG have bricked my computer.  AVG forums are as useful as chocolate Teapots.  Some consumers are getting fixes luckily but no one solution is working for everyone or many people at all.

I have a spare computer so I can removed this hard drive from it and connect to it.  Could you kindly tell me how i go in and disbale AVG etc

With thanks

James

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

Before we go with the hard drive removal try one more thing. Instead of a disk the Media Creation Tool allows for the option of creating a iso file. Download the iso file of Windows 10. Download Rufus which allows you to create a bootable flash drive. Run Rufus. If the computer came preinstalled with Windows 7 select MBR partition scheme with BIOS or UEFI. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10 then select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file of Windows 10 you downloaded. Press Start. If there is any data you need on the flash drive back it up as the flash drive will be formatted.

Attach the flash drive. Boot the computer. Most modern computers have a key you tap at boot to bring up a boot menu allowing you to select the boot device. On a Dell it's F12. On HP F9.  What is the make and model of the computer?    

#6 Jamesdf5

Jamesdf5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:38 AM

Cancel that.  It was always a temperamental version of Win 10 so i'm going to format and fresh install. Thanks

Didnt see your reply. Will look later. Thanks

Edited by Jamesdf5, 02 October 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:47 AM

No problem. Good luck with the clean install. I would follow this guide. It's for Windows 8 but the same holds for Windows 10. After the clean install and all updates I would encourage you to look at creating a complete disk image to a external hard drive using something like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, or Easeus Todo backup. All allow the creation of bootable media allowing you to recover the image should the computer no longer boot or the drive fails.

Edit: Do you need personal data from the computer? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 October 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#8 Jamesdf5

Jamesdf5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:27 AM

Hi John,

I have a custom made PC that i built a few years ago.  This windows 10 was upgraded from Win7 a fair while ago.  Every since i've had graphical compatibility issues that i have worked around. 

So i don't have a copy of Win10 but I have no made what I thought was a fresh copy of win10 via the media creation tool, but is that a full copy of Win10?  I notice that Wndows 10 is no longer free??

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

Yes, if you create a DVD or USB flash drive using the iso from the Media Creation Tool it is a full copy of the OS. Windows 10 is no longer free but yours should have been activated. Once activated you can reinstall Windows 10 with no problem as your activation is stored on Microsoft Servers as a digital license.

#10 Jamesdf5

Jamesdf5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

Edited

Edited by Jamesdf5, 02 October 2016 - 02:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users