Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISO maker

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ratsass

ratsass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hi I've been racking my brain trying some ISO makers

what i want to do is make bootable images .Iso's of all families computers for back up 

Either they are  too slow or they have restrictions or they only do up to 4gb, especially the free ones.

I used to use Hirens disk Ghost32 but restricts me to only .GHO files.

Since windows 8 things are harder as you have to configure the BIOS back by turning off  UEFI boot,

(if someone can help on that too, boot from usb or CD with UEFI on.)

and then  boot from a usb or  disk .

but i would like to use ISO's and make them bootable with software like Rufus.exe. (makes usb's and external drives bootable). :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

Are you trying to make bootable iso files in order to run Windows off the DVD or flash drive like a live linux disk or are you trying to do this in order to have a disk backup in case the computer no longer boots or the hard drive fails?

#3 ratsass

ratsass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:30 PM

in case the computer no longer boots or hdd fails

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:23 AM

See here

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

and here

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2227-create-bootable-usb-dvd-windows-8-iso.html

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:43 AM

in case the computer no longer boots or hdd fails

If I understand correctly you want to recover the computer to it's current state should the hard drive fail. I think your best option is to use an imaging program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Do not download from Cnet or Download.com. User the local download. Using either of these programs would allow you to backup the complete disk image of multiple computers to a single external drive. Both programs allow you to create bootable media, either a CD or USB flash drive that allows you to boot to the program should the computer no longer boot or the drive fails. If your computer has GBs or data creating a bootable iso of the computer on a DVD is not feasible and if the computer has hundreds of GBs even a flash drive would be expensive vs a single external drive of 1 or 2 TB.

Both programs allow you to mount the image to a virtual drive letting you copy any file out of the image should you need it. Using either of these programs would allow you to restore a disk image to a new drive, allowing you to be up in minutes vs hours doing a clean install. Both programs allow you to use differential or incremental updates. This allows each successive disk image to be much smaller than the base image. 

#6 ratsass

ratsass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

thanks  for that will have a go at macrium let you know how it goes

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

Both programs allow you to mount the image to a virtual drive letting you copy any file out of the image should you need it.

JohnC_21, or any member,  what does this mean, to "mount the image to a virtual drive"?  I have tried an internet search including checking in Wikipedia, but I still do not understand this "mount" thing.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

When using Macrium you can double click the image file and Macrium will ask if you want to assign a drive letter to it. After assigning the drive letter Macrium will mount it and make the image file look like another hard drive. You can explore the files in the image and copy any file out of the image you may need.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/

With Aomei you cannot simply double click the image file. You need to mount the image using the Aomei program.

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/image-file-explore.html

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

+1  JohnC.....just to additionally help you with the concept:  Windows will assign a drive letter by 2/clicking on the image, OR R-Click once and click Explore Image. A selection box will appear, enable your Windows image and click OK. Now you will see your backed-up system as a tree structure which you can explore and retrieve any files you wish....just drag & drop them onto your current desktop. The drive letter assigned is held only in memory, thus the "virtual" name. When you are finished, just R-click the assigned virtual drive letter in Explore, choose Macrium Reflect, and then choose Unmount Macrium Image and the virtual drive will disappear.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

When using Macrium you can double click the image file and Macrium will ask if you want to assign a drive letter to it. After assigning the drive letter Macrium will mount it and make the image file look like another hard drive. You can explore the files in the image and copy any file out of the image you may need.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/

With Aomei you cannot simply double click the image file. You need to mount the image using the Aomei program.

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/image-file-explore.html

+1  JohnC.....just to additionally help you with the concept:  Windows will assign a drive letter by 2/clicking on the image, OR R-Click once and click Explore Image. A selection box will appear, enable your Windows image and click OK. Now you will see your backed-up system as a tree structure which you can explore and retrieve any files you wish....just drag & drop them onto your current desktop. The drive letter assigned is held only in memory, thus the "virtual" name. When you are finished, just R-click the assigned virtual drive letter in Explore, choose Macrium Reflect, and then choose Unmount Macrium Image and the virtual drive will disappear.

Partly understand.  Helpful.  No view inside the ISO until "mounted".  When done viewing, "unmount".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users