Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Dual Booting

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

I currently have and use (off and on) a Live DVD of Linux Mint 17.2 Raphael Cinnamon. I know I could update. However I wanted to slowly transition from Windows to Linux and this distro was recommended for getting my feet wet. I was going to purchase a refurbished PC and use it exclusively for Linux but current circumstances will not allow. I know many members here dual boot and I have considered doing so but I've got to tell you that it makes me very apprehensive. I am not that computer literate and afraid of messing up everything.

I know to make sure I have backups and I do. But boy, this is a big plunge for me :dance:

I found this tutorial and seems very good. Thoughts?  https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-install

My current PC is nine years old and I have a Epson NX-110 series printer. It works just fine for my purpose. Will installing Linux along side Windows 7 affect the printer? Will I have to find and install new drivers? Will this cause any problems with the printer and Windows 7?

These are my specs:http://i.imgur.com/RLVImZA.png

Will check back tomorrow for recommendations.

Thank You

Edited by sikntired, 01 October 2016 - 06:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

Everything should be fine here, but I would choose Linux mints Mate version as that is a little lighter for you slightly under powered hardware.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

Yes that is a good site to use, I have conversed with the owner many times.  I know you said you have a Backup Image of some kind.  Might be a good idea to have both a backup image and Recovery Disks, I'm sure you no what both are.

Will installing Linux along side Windows 7 affect the printer?

No

Will I have to find and install new drivers?

They might be included, or can be downloaded and installed.  Epson is pretty good with linux, but not always as good as windows.  I will take a look later when I'm in a modern Linux Mint distro.

Will this cause any problems with the printer and Windows 7?

No, but you will have to setup as in a Network.

There is one thing that may save you some time, is to check now if you have more than Four Primary Partitions.  This is explained in #6 in that Tutorial, which in another reason that is a good tutorial.

Optional: When you post System Specs, it's a good practice to do it in "Text" form, that way if someone wants to go the extra mile they can easily research how well your Hardware will work with particular distro's. 

Electrical problems here gota go

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:52 AM

tWPN4JY.png

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yeah like i said those specs are fine, I am more looking at your processor as the weak spot of the hardware so you may want to have something lighter.

I mean Mints main edition should do okay, the Cinnamon desktop is pretty good on resources however the MATE version may perform better on your hardware.

Linux mint comes in four flavors you see, with four different desktops.

Unlike windows where you are stuck to one setup linux offers a whole slew of options catered for different needs.

Want something modern yet good on resources? The cinnamon desktop is there

Want something lightweight yet something you could play around with?

Both Mints XFCE and MATE versions have this

Want something that can give you the Windows like look and feel without too much effort? The KDE edition is here for that.

But each desktop option has its pros and cons, but overall all will do fine.

Except for KDE, that can run a little heavy and may slug down on your hardware.

This is why I am unsure if the Cinnamon edition will fit the bill, I mean you could try it out on the live USB/DVD image there is no harm in it.

But seeing you have a older and low end processor you may want to take the MATE edition into account.

I would not worry too much about drivers, your hardware should be covered,

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

I currently have and use (off and on) a Live DVD of Linux Mint 17.2 Raphael Cinnamon. 

That is fine if it is difficult for you do get another one.  If it were me, I would get the newer version, 17.3 and maybe Mint Mate.  Cinnamon is fine if that is what you want to continue with, I'm still running 17.1 and have no problems.

One thing to save you some hassle - as suggested before - is to check how many "Primary Partitions" you have.  If you don't want to do that fine.  This is Important sikntired, because you cannot install if there are more than Three Primary Partitions, and therefore will have to do more complicated work to Install.  In that case a good alternative for you would be to use a LinuxLiveSession from a USB, like you do from the DVD, but the USB will Boot and run faster.

Look at this tutorial to get to the Disk Management.  Expand "Disk Management" if needed to see all the "Primary" Partitions.  You can also Expand each Section if needed.  It should say "Healthy (Primary Partition)" or something like that under "Status", you can see this in the picture at this site at bottom.  Post an expanded screenshot if you want. 

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=1284#win

Edited by pcpunk, 02 October 2016 - 02:17 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hi, sikntired.

As far as your printer goes, the place to go to for drivers (especially Epson) is OpenPrinting.org. As pcpunk says, Epson are pretty good with Linux drivers; I've used Epson printers for many years myself, so can confirm this. Your printer, however, is one of the few that is not covered by the current 'generic' driver release, so you'll need to install the slightly older version of this. No harm in doing so; printer drivers are a lot less vulnerable to attack than many other types of driver.

I see from Epson's site that the NX-110, like my own SX-218, is now discontinued, and has been replaced by a newer model. Nowt to worry about; Epsons plod on for years & years; they just seem to go on for ever..!  :thumbup2:  :)

I'm using an older version of the 'full feature' driver myself, which works fine for me in Puppy Linux. It worked fine in Ubuntu, too, a couple of years ago (to which Mint is more closely related).

If you go here:-

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-Stylus_NX110

...this is the driver you'll find will work best with your printer. You'll want the .deb package (either 32- or 64-bit, depending on your hardware, of course.) Just click on the appropriate '1.0.0 (DEB for LSB 3.2)' link. 'x86' is the 32-bit; 'x86 64' is the 64-bit.

I have used Mint before (some time ago now, it's true.) I found, from experience, that Epson drivers always seem to install more efficiently if installed with the gDebbi 'stand-alone' installer. Don't ask me why; they just do. It should be available through the Software Centre (or whatever it's called these days).

Hope that helps.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 October 2016 - 01:17 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thanks MadmanRB for your insight and recommendations. I've used Cinnamon off and on as I have said, however I will take a look at Mint Mate. Do you have a site where I could download a Live DVD ? Thanks for your assistance.

@pcpunk  Am very grateful for the info and help and will look into and post about "Primary Partitions".

Hi Mike_Walsh and thank you as well for your input and especially for the link to the proper printer driver.

You all have been quite generous with your time and knowledge and I must express my heartfelt gratitude.

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

q22IrRr.png

Edited by sikntired, 02 October 2016 - 05:42 PM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Thanks MadmanRB for your insight and recommendations. I've used Cinnamon off and on as I have said, however I will take a look at Mint Mate. Do you have a site where I could download a Live DVD ? Thanks for your assistance.

@pcpunk  Am very grateful for the info and help and will look into and post about "Primary Partitions".

Hi Mike_Walsh and thank you as well for your input and especially for the link to the proper printer driver.

You all have been quite generous with your time and knowledge and I must express my heartfelt gratitude.

Mints website has all you need

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Mint 18 is thew latest version, I see no reason why it shouldn't work with your hardware.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

If any other information is needed, please let me know.

Uh Oh, honey-do is calling. Gotta go, will check back later.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

nah it should be fine.

Take your time and if you need partitioning advice we can help

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

Great! good job with the screenshot, your Partitions look good for this operation if you decide to proceed.

For simplicity just use your 17.2 DVD if you want, there is no need to go newer for someone like you, but will let you decide that.  At most I would go with the 17.3.  Personally I don't see a need to go to Mint 18 Sarah, 17.3 is well tested since 2013 now, but this is just my personal feelings and probably what I would do. 

I take it you bought this DVD Online and you don't want to download and create one your self?  Most of us just download the Mint iso and make a DVD or USB ourselves.  You can do this or buy one, I'll leave that up to you also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

@sikntired:-

Hi Mike_Walsh and thank you as well for your input and especially for the link to the proper printer driver.

No probs. You're very welcome!

I've been using Epsons, as I said, for a great many years. I've got very handy at navigating around to finding the proper drivers for them.....as well as other stuff (utilities, etc.)

I see absolutely no reason not to share that knowledge. That's what all these kinds of forums are here for.....to share knowledge, and to help each other out. And to echo Madman, we'll be quite happy to help out with partitioning advice; most of us here have been through the process on more than one occasion. It's not as mysterious as it seems, once you've been 'through the mill' a couple of times. It's really very simple when you know how; you'll wonder what all the fuss was about..!  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 October 2016 - 06:50 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:50 PM

I've been using Epsons, as I said, for a great many years. I've got very handy at navigating around to finding the proper drivers for them.....as well as other stuff (utilities, etc.)

Interesting that those drivers are at the Epson site also but had to enter this only "nx110" to find them, and Scanner Drivers also.

Edited by pcpunk, 02 October 2016 - 06:51 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users