Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't put Windows installation media onto SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 usernamehere

usernamehere

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

I'm useless with computers, so I'm pretty helpless here. Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Long story short...

- Windows forced through a load of updates while I was away from my computer

- Things appeared to be working for a little while

- After being away from the computer again, I can only assume additional updates were installed

- I'm now stuck in the 'blue screen of death'; the error seems to be '0xc000021a'

- None of the advice I've found online (if it's not obvious, I'm using a different PC) helps, so I've decided to reinstall windows

- In order to do this, I'm trying to put the installation media on my SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB

- The computer recognises the disk (in that it shows up in MyComputer, etc.) but Microsoft's Setup software tells me 'we can't find a USB flash drive'

- Looking online this appears to be a common problem with SanDisk drives; my guess is that it's something to do with the Setup software reading the disk as 'fixed' (if that makes sense?)

I'm at a loss as to what to do. A lot of the online advice is far too technical for me to understand; if anyone here can offer advice or recommend programs that might be able to sort this out, I'd really appreciate it.

I can't quite express just how frustrating this is! I can't bear the thought of having to wipe all the data from my computer, so please assure me that won't be necessary.

Thanks in anticipation.  :hug:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

I am not sure how you are creating the install media. Are you trying to reinstall Windows from within Windows? What is the make and model of the computer?

Do you need data off the hard drive as a new install will wipe the drive and delete your personal data and programs?

Are you trying to re-install Windows 8 or Windows 10?

#3 usernamehere

usernamehere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't know the precise model I'm using, but it's a Dell Inspiron and it's a little less than a year old. I've never had any problems with it.

I'm using the tool here to (try to) put the media on my flash drive. It's Windows 10.

I assumed I would be able to put the media on the USB drive via my working computer, then access it via the 'Use a device' option I'm offered at startup on my broken computer. I figured this is the place from which to re-install Windows.

I didn't think a new install would wipe my drive; is that necessarily the case? In the past (on previous machines) I've had to reinstall fresh and the previous data was still on the machine, saved under 'windows.old' or something like that. It's been a while. Is there no way to sort this problem without my machine been wiped?

Thanks, again.

Edited by usernamehere, 01 October 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Yes, a new install will wipe all your personal data and programs. Windows 10 offers a reset option that allows you to retain your personal data but will still wipe all your programs installed since purchase.

You are correct that doing a repair install will give you windows.old. I made a mistake, sorry. What you are attempting to do will be a repair install when running setup inside of Windows. In order to repair install and keep your data, programs, and settings requires you to start setup from within Windows. If you cannot boot windows then you will be offered either reset and keep your data but lose your programs or reset and lose everything.

(Note: It's possible Windows does not recognize the flash drive as a removable device. If you have an older Sandisk that Windows detects as a hard drive it's possible that is the reason it fails. Attach the Sandisk and open Computer. If you see Local Disk instead of Removable disk that may be the problem.) 

Try the following. Using the Media Creation Tool select the option of downloading an iso file. After the iso file has downloaded use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Attach the Sandisk. Run Rufus. Make sure your flash drive is in the first dropdown box. Select GPT partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to your iso file of Windows 10. Press Start. Backup any data you need off the flash drive as it will be formatted. 

Boot the computer and select the flash drive as the boot device. Where you see the Window that has Repair Computer in the lower left click the Repair Computer link. From there select Troubleshooting and try doing a System Restore to a date before the problem. See option 5 here.

#5 usernamehere

usernamehere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Thanks again for your help.

To clarify, I don't care about losing programs I've installed, but I don't want to lose the files I've accumulated - some of which are very valuable to me.

I succeeded in creating the flash drive using the advice in your fourth paragraph. Thanks. 

Though the problem of the Sandisk has apparently been solved, the problem the disk itself was supposed to help resolve still remains.

I can boot from the flash drive easily enough, now - suggesting your above instructions were successful. However, clicking the 'Repair Computer' button I don't have any more options than when booting the computer normally. I mean, the System Restore, for example, has only two available restore points - minutes apart, both from the early hours of yesterday morning, presumably when the updates were forced through. Neither work - I tried both when the problem first presented itself, and again just now via the flash drive boot.

I got the message: 'Failed to extract the file (c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Mail\en-US\msoeres.dll.mui) from restore point. The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.'

I tried installing/reinstalling WIndows (from the flash drive), and was presented with two options: Upgrade, or Custom. I was scared of using the Custom option because it warned that 'files ... aren't moved to Windows', which I took to mean that it could/would wipe everything. I tried the Upgrade option instead, and that didn't work, either. I got a confusing Compatibility Report message, reading: 'The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that WIndows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select Custom(advanced) to perform an upgrade. Custom(advanced) installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.)'

If it's not obvious, I'm confused by all this.

What would you recommend I try next?

Again, thanks for your assistance here - it's much appreciated.

(EDIT: As the focus of my request thread has now shifted to Windows 10-related misery, would a moderator prefer to move it to a more appropriate forum? If so, please feel free.)

Edited by usernamehere, 01 October 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

We can copy all your personal data using a live linux program called Fatdog64. You may need to disable SecureBoot and Quickboot/Fastboot if in your UEFI settings. This will only work if the files on Windows 10 are not encrypted which they may be if you log in with an email address. Once the files are copied to a USB flash drive or USB external drive open a few to determine if they are corrupted or not.

Download Fatdog64   Fatdog64-702.iso

Use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive but when running Rufus select MBR partition scheme for MBR and UEFI in the dropdown box instead of GPT.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach another USB flash drive or external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB flash drive/external window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. 

Once you are sure you have copied all your files do a clean install of Windows 10 using this Windows 8 guide. It will be the same for Windows 10. You want to delete all partitions and then press next. Once you have installed Windows 10, your programs, and all updates I would advise you create a complete disk image to an external drive using Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Create the bootable media each program offers. This will allow you to restore your computer should it fail to boot or the drive fails allowing you to be back up in minutes vs hours. Both will let you explore the image allowing you to copy any file out of the image.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#7 usernamehere

usernamehere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hi, JohnC_21 - thanks again for your help. Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been away from the computer.

I fixed the problem by opting for the 'Custom' installation; I was relieved to see that before committing to anything, I was assured that old files would be moved to the 'windows.old' directory. I was fine about having to re-install programs and settings, etc.

Having done that, things now seem to be working fine. I just have a bit of tinkering to do. I disabled Windows updates as a precautionary measure, though - I assume that's not unwise.

If you think there's anything else I should (not) be doing, don't hesitate to let me know. Your advice re: the SanDisk was a life-saver, so cheers!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Your Welcome and thanks for the update. The only thing I can recommend after you update the computer and reinstall all your programs is to create a disk image as using one of the programs I linked to in my previous post. Don't disable your updates. There will be needed security updates. After September the only updates available will be via a rollup package. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users