Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Home - disabling it from updating in the future

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mathinduction

mathinduction

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

Hi,

Based on bad experiences from previous updates, I'm currently looking for a way to disable all the windows 10 updates for my Windows 10 Home.

I have looked on the internet and did a couple of things like:
- Setting my wifi to metered (although that apparently does not work?)

- Disabling driver updates

But simply disabling everything, I don't know whether that is possible. I have also tried to:

- Set the Windows 10 update service to manual, although I'm not sure whether that is sufficient enough.

I don't have gpedit.msc and I'm not sure whether it is safe to download one from the internet. Apparently, I can use it to access a setting where I can disable the updates like in the pro version of Windows. Can someone verify whether this might work in the Home version as well?

Thank you very much! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

You could go to Services, sort by name, search for Windows update service, stop it, and disable it.

But those updates are for security and bug fixes and wouldn't recommend turning them off.

I believe in windows 10 Home gpedit.msc is disabled (not exactly sure why might be the "Education Edition") 

And i wouldn't download a gpeditor from the internet

Edited by Viper_Security, 01 October 2016 - 04:32 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

I tried getting a version of gpedit.msc via download and I wouldn't recommend it.  I was trying to revive the ability to get a shutdown sound (which ended in failure anyway).

I also second Viper_Security's  statement that I do not recommend turning off Window Updates, ever.   As someone who does technical support for home and small business users as part of how I make my living, I have seen far more piles of metaphorically smoldering silicon that are the direct result of people who thought they knew better than Microsoft (or other OS makers, but mostly Microsoft) regarding what updates should or should not be applied.   The danger from buggy updates is far and away less than the danger of a system left un-updated and interacting with cyberspace.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 the0dark0one

the0dark0one

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

At the very least, you could defer Windows updates.  You will still get them, but they will be delayed.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

May I recommend posting your Windows Updates status at this point and look forward to getting Windows Updates to normal experiences?

#6 mathinduction

mathinduction
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the advices so far. I think I shall only delay them for this month only, since it is important for me during university work.

I just find it annoying that these updates are forced. I mean, it is my own choice whether to benefit from these updates or not. And so far, they have been messing up my laptop every time. I'd rather do without for a period like this and an easy way or setting that would prevent me from updating would be nice. This lack of option really makes me consider switching to another OS.

Nobody has time do deal with this kind of mess after updating.

At the very least, you could defer Windows updates.  You will still get them, but they will be delayed.

Hmm, so also if I set the service to disabled/manual or my wifi network to metered?

Edited by mathinduction, 02 October 2016 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users