Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 updated, now I have no sound

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 artmofo

artmofo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hi, I have royally screwed things up with my computer, thanks to the Windows 10 free upgrade, which I am regretting.

1. After the upgrade the sound didn't work but I found some instructions, and those worked. So far, so good.

2. Recently it auto-updated. The sound went out again. I SHOULD have done a rollback, but did not. Then I tried to update the Realtek Audio HD drivers. I updated to the latest 64-bit driver. (That was probably the wrong one, because it didn't work).

3. Then I uninstalled the Realtek drivers. Apparently, I even deleted the RealTek HD Audio device as well. At that point Rollback would not work.

4. Now, in Device Manager, under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" this is what you see (attached).

Can someone help me fix this machine?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Does clicking update driver work? If not, in the image you posted click the Details tab. Select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

#3 artmofo

artmofo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

JohnC_21,

Thank you for the reply.

I think I just screwed things up further. I downloaded the Realtek Audio 32-bit driver, and tried to install it. When I did, it said it was unsupported. Now, when I right click on "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"  NOTHING appears.

The machine is an HP Pavilion P6000 series; p6715f. It's running an Intel i3.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

In Device Manager click on the top most tree, your PC, and select Action > Scan for Hardware Changes. Does it detect your sound device?

Do you have a Restore Point  after the Anniversary upgrade but before your changes. If so try doing a System Restore if scanning for hardware changes does not find your sound card.

#5 artmofo

artmofo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:41 PM

I followed your directions in Re: Action.  I scanned for hardware changes, but nothing happened. The device is still not shown.

Another option under Action is "Add legacy hardware." Is it possible that could help?

I did not add any Restore Points after the upgrade.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

Adding legacy hardware may work. Before doing that go here and download the Realtek HD audio driver. According to your MB specs you have the Realtek ALC888s. Try installing and see if it detects your chipset. 

Second from the top.

64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file) R2.79 2015/6/25 128412k

Edit:Try rebooting the computer first before installing the driver. Rebooting may detect your audio again.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#7 artmofo

artmofo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:08 PM

I rebooted the computer; the audio remains undetected.

I'll download the 64-bit driver, try installing, and see what happens.

#8 artmofo

artmofo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:28 PM

OK, I downloaded/installed the 64-bit Realtek HD audio, then rebooted, and it's showing up under "Sound, video and game controllers."

But I still have no sound. When I open up Realtek, under the "General" tab it says: "The device is working properly"

But under the Events tab, it says this:

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A9C&REV_1002\4&33dea3aa&0&0001 requires further installation.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:38 PM

I never ran into that problem before. Go to Device Manager and select Update Driver.

This is from a KB article on another audio card referencing the further installation message and it appears to be normal for Windows 10.

http://kb.esi-audio.com/?goto=KB00234EN

#10 artmofo

artmofo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

When I click on Update driver, I'm offered 2 options:

"Search automatically for update driver software: Windows will search your computer and the internet for the latest driver software for your device. . . ."

OR

"Browse my computer for driver software: Locate and install driver software manually."

Which one?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

Search automatically.

#12 artmofo

artmofo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

OK, I clicked on "Search automatically." And this is what I got:

"The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

And I still have no sound.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

In control panel uninstall the Realtek driver software. Reboot. Reinstall but this time right click the exe file and select Run As Administrator? If you do not see the Realtek driver in Control Panel to uninstall then  Right Click the exe of the driver file and Run As Administrator to reinstall.

#14 artmofo

artmofo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

Before I go that route, here is some additional information:

In Device manager > Audio inputs & outputs here is what's listed:

Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Speakers (Realtek HD Audio)

BUT: my speakers are not Realtek HD Audio. They are Logitech . . . if that makes a difference.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

I don't believe so as Realtek does not make speakers. It's notifying you that the speakers are using the Realtek HD audio driver.

Double click the speaker in the System tray and make sure the speaker is not on mute. Also right click the speaker in the system tray and select Playback Devices. Make sure your speakers are set as default and a green checkmark is next to them under the Playback tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users