Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Delaying Startup Items For 30 Seconds..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GamblingGirl

GamblingGirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:15 PM

Ok.. hello first off. im new :thumbsup:

ok I will try to make this short as possible without being too confusing..

I have a program that i run called VENTRILO..

I have a pc that is always connected to internet, its wireless so takes it like 30 seconds to find connection once computer is started.

I am wanting to run a command line once the computer has started, that will automatically connect me to ventrilo. I know the command line, I know it goes in start up.. and that part of it works.. np.

my question is.. I NEED THE PROGRAM to have like a 30-45 second delay before it starts. That way it gives my computer time to connect to the internet...

if i dont wait. then it gives me big beep saying cannot connect. no connection. blah blah blah..

SO IN CLOSING. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DELAY AUTO START PROGRAMS. ive looked on the internet and tried 5 softwares, nothing seems to be what im looking for.

Thank you in advance for your help :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

:thumbsup: GamblingGirl,

Unless there is something in the program itself which provides the option of delayed loading - and I have seen this on only one program to date - I would suggest eliminating the auto-run feature of the program and starting it after the internet connection has been established.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 August 2006 - 11:54 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

You might be able to set it up as a scheduled task to run when Windows opens.

start/programs/accessories/scheduled tasks

#4 GamblingGirl

GamblingGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

yes well .. as far as starting it manually.. thats why i wrote the question. lol i can do that np . i just dont want too.. :thumbsup: but thanks for the advice..

and as far as trying scheduled tasks.. yes.. ive done that to.. but i spose the type of file it is.. it wont allow it. it has to be a .exe file .. not the html thingy that it is :flowers: but thanks for the suggestion :trumpet:

if anyone else has any ideas . or any software suggestions.. im still open :inlove: thank you again for your help :cool:

#5 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

try the link below, hope it helps:-)

http://www.taltech.com/support/sw_tricks/launch.htm

good luck

#6 GamblingGirl

GamblingGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

Oh this looks fantastic... thank you very much.

I will be trying it out just now. I will let you know how it goes :thumbsup:

ty again for help :flowers:

>>>>>>WELL APPRENTLY IM NOT A PC GENIUS.. LOOL .. I COULDNT GET IT TO WORK :trumpet: BUT THANKS :inlove:

Edited by GamblingGirl, 21 August 2006 - 09:09 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

Run it from within a batch file that's set to launch when you logon (using Task Scheduler.

Use the "Pause" command to let it pop up a command prompt window - then the program will pause until you press a key.

Also, here's a freeware program to insert a delay in your batch file - Delay & Wait For Time: http://www.otbsw.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 GamblingGirl

GamblingGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:56 AM

ok great,,... im trying that now :thumbsup: ty ty ty

#9 GamblingGirl

GamblingGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:11 AM

ty tyt yt ty it works .. perfect.. you are the best..

ty again :thumbsup: saves me login in time. and one less step :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users