Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my HD dying or something?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 safak

safak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'm having an issue where icons and menus etc quit responding on my laptop.  

Its a Sager , about 2 years old, running windows 10. 

For instance I have chrome up now and am here, and its fine. I can do all things normal on it, but I cannot click on any icons on the desktop.  I can't click the menu(bottom left) to search files etc. 

sometimes this is reversed and open windows (whether its browser, or folders) quit responding but i can click on the desktop or start menu. 

If i ctr/alt/delete and switch users (back to same one as there is only 1 user on this comp) then everything will work again. but not for long. 

I have been searching for an answer but I don't know if its because im not searching right terms, or what but can't really find any info.  Comp isn't that old so pretty mad if its dead but it is what it is. 

I have done clean install of windows but nothing changed, so I'm assume it is a hardware issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,657 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:59 AM

If you are using the trackpad and not a mouse try a mouse and see if you have the same issue. If you do not then it's either a trackpad driver problem or a hardware issue with the trackpad.

#3 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Symptoms of a dying hard drive would include extremely slow behavior, not unresponsiveness. Like taking several minutes to copy a picture from one place to another. Usually HDD's last upwards of 4 years as well so your issue is probably with the trackpad like JohnC_21 said.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#4 safak

safak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

Trackpad is normally disabled and i use a mouse.  I've tried unplugging the mouse and just using trackpad but its no difference. 

Would there be a situation where ...half of the computer quits responding to the trackpad  and mouse, but some parts it can click just fine?

It never stops working, I can move it ..never freezes, its almost as if the computer quits recognizing anything in the background of w/e is on the screen when it happens. Until I relog in to windows anyway. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,657 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

If you can run programs download Seatools for Windows and do the short/long tests. If that passes then check your memory with Memtest+86 program available on the UBCD disk. You can burn the iso but in order to boot the disk you will need to disable SecureBoot and also QuickBoot/FastBoot if that setting is in your UEFI. When running the memory test let it run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

Seatools for Windows

How to use Seatools for Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users