Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac OS Sierra

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

I have a Mac Book Air running OS El Capitan and in updates today was one to update to OS Sierra. I don't use the Mac book much but is it worth doing this update or anything to be wary about. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 40Kkm

40Kkm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

I just saw same upgrade option & downloaded Sierra. Will let you know how it goes. ;-)

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

I have a Mac Book Air running OS El Capitan and in updates today was one to update to OS Sierra. I don't use the Mac book much but is it worth doing this update or anything to be wary about. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Whether or not it is worthwhile will depend on if you will find the new features/functions of Sierra useful or not. In terms of security, Apple should still be patching 10.11.x and 10.10.x until 10.13.x (or whatever the next version number will be) as they typically still patch bugs and security holes for the previous two versions of the Mac OS.

As to things to be wary about, at this point, Apple likely has most of the major bugs and possible "kinks" worked out of Sierra. So, in theory, the only main thing to be wary about would be if any of your programs don't work with Sierra. And generally any typical "higher level", productivity type program should have no issues (i.e. things like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc), but rather it will be "lower level" type programs such as Mail plug-ins and utility type programs. Beyond that, the only potentially issue is new features that may interrupt your work flow or even worse. The one that I can think of off the top of my head is the whole "optimized storage" features (i.e. sync Desktop and Documents folders to iCloud, automatically empty trash, automatically delete iTunes videos to free up storage space, automatically remove old and unused files, etc), but in theory those features should be turned off when you upgrade (although I have seen reports by a few that they were turned on).

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:30 AM

Many thanks for that info smax013. Actually the other day I did the upgrade me being a must have go type of bloke and all went well.

As I mentioned I don't do much on the machine other than emails reading news paper online etc and downloading photographs from my camera Goggle the odd thing etc and that's about it and I am not into Facebook, Twitter and all that kind of stuff with me being an oldie. Plus I have no Apps or whatever that didn't come with the machine when I first purchased it so hopefully I should not have any problem. Again many thanks my friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users