Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Startup

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Andisheh23

Andisheh23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Hey just started having a problem... (posted this in PCTechBytes with no response) Was playing BioShock Remastered (which I have since now uninstalled) yesterday and got white and black (and some yellow and other colors) boxes in game after a few minutes. I thought it was the game, so I tried to alt+tab out but I realized my computer had frozen as well... so I restarted....Noticed on restart I was getting the same glitchy effects....Got into Windows and got a BSOD quickly after a few minutes or so. I am writing this in Safe Mode + Networking. There are still glitchy effects in safe mode, but they're different: Rather than black and white boxes there are a lot of white lines.

I was thinking this may be a driver issue with my GPU or something, so I tried updating my drivers in safe mode but GeForce Experience won't open up there. I decided to install manually with the website but it hits a wall there as well. I can't install the driver in safe mode. I watched a YT video after, saying how to fix BSOD and the guy was saying to uninstall your display driver in Safe Mode by going to Device Manager, and then restart, go back in to Windows, and install it again there... I still couldn't get into Windows after having uninstalled the driver in safe mode. Since it didn't work I'm now thinking that wasn't a good idea. I may have made things worse. I did notice after booting up in Safe Mode that the driver seemed like it was still installed and not uninstalled, which was odd....

Now, I also I thought it might be a virus. I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it found some threats (did a second scan later as well looking for rootkits and found 13 more which I removed), mostly  these 8 registry key PUPs it usually (had them show up before and tried to delete them, makes my computer act up, must be important registry files that this program sees as viruses even though they're not) finds when I do the scan, that probably aren't malicious. I thought it better not to remove them (this time). I did find two other files in the initial scan that pointed to files in APPDATA that were tied to google chrome somehow, so I did delete those, thinking it might help. Nothing changed.... So overall I got rid of 15 files/malwares/viruses.

Also, I was thinking it may be my keyboard driver or something making my computer act all wonky. I did get a new one just a week or so ago that I didn't bother updating...I searched online but couldn't find any drivers or updates for it.

Specs are: Windows 7 | GTX 580 | i7-2700K

Anyway, this all started happening just yesterday...Any idea what's going on?

Edited by Andisheh23, 01 October 2016 - 10:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

I suspect a problem with your video card.

As for it being a software or hardware problem - I can't tell that from your description.

Are you able to get into Windows?

If so, start with these free hardware diagnostics (start with the video tests first):  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Additionally, if you are able to get into Windows, please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Edited by usasma, 01 October 2016 - 11:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andisheh23

Andisheh23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hey very sorry I was away for some time I couldn't get back to you, let me install these programs and see what pops up. Will this work if I do it in safe mode?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Most will work in Safe Mode.

If you have any problems, post back for workarounds.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Andisheh23

Andisheh23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

Hey so I was able to run the Sysnative tests but the perfmon report did not, unfortunately. I got an error saying "An error occurred while attempting to generate the report. The system cannot find the file path specified." when I tried to use the "perfmon /report" command in cmd.exe. I did try running cmd as an administrator as well.

In regards to the video tests in the first link you supplied, I was not able to run Furmark after installing it. I got an error stating "Could not initialize ZoomGPU. Furmark startup failed."

I was able to install a test from the next set of video card tests on the page called "VMT Video Memory Stress Test" which was on a foreign language (Russian I think) page.

I was able to open the program but there's a whole bunch of options and I don't know which ones I should click. I also sent the .jpg of that, if you can take a look. If you can see from the pic it seems weird that it says "Primary Display Driver" instead of the name of my GPU. Maybe my GPU is not working at all, or installed even? I did mention I uninstalled the driver earlier from Device Manager in a desperate attempt to fix it, which didn't pan out. Also, Video mode is set to 800x600x32, which seems odd. Not sure if that means anything.

Thanks again. Any and all help is appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by Andisheh23, 01 October 2016 - 05:42 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Only 190 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 350-400 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

These items have problems in Device Manager:

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter    ROOT\*ISATAP\0000    This device cannot start.
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface    ROOT\*TEREDO\0000    This device cannot start.
DAEMON Tools Virtual SCSI Bus    ROOT\SCSIADAPTER\0000    Failure using the VxD loader.
NVIDIA Enthusiasts Platform KDM    ROOT\SYSTEM\0001    This device is working properly.
Security Processor Loader Driver    ROOT\LEGACY_SPLDR\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
690LC    USB\VID_2433&PID_B111\CCV_1.0    This device is disabled.

For the ISATAP adapter - right click on it and select "Uninstall".  Reboot and check to see if the error reappears.

For the Teredo interface - right click on it and select "uninstall"  Reboot and check to see if the error reappears

Please uninstall Alcohol 120%/Daemon Tools (instructions in next quote box)

Please uninstall all the nVidia stuff, then download/install a fresh copy

The Security Processor Loader Driver will be updated when you get ALL available Windows Updates

The 690LC is related to the Antec cooler on your system.  Please re-enable it, then update the software to the latest available version.

Here's the Alcohol 120%/Daemon Tools instructions:

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol 120 % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

#7 Andisheh23

Andisheh23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

Hey I just saw these, thank you. I will get started on it right away. In regards to the Windows Updates, will that upgrade my system to Windows 10? I would like to avoid that. Also, when I find Windows Update in Search and click on it, nothing happens.

Is it OK if I deal with the drivers before the Windows Updates?

For the drivers, should I restart in regular Windows, or Safe Mode with Networking after following the instructions for each driver? For now, before I start all this, I know I do get BSOD right when I try to boot into regular Windows. If you'd like me to restart into regular Windows after each driver uninstall/reinstall that I do in Safe Mode with Networking, and I get a BSOD after each boot into regular Windows, should I go back into Safe Mode with Networking and run the Sysnative test for each new BSOD that I get (if I get) in regular Windows? Sorry I made this sound so wordy.

Lastly, do I still need to run the video tests? I sent a jpg of the video test program I was able to execute but I'm not sure which settings to use before I hit start on it. On the Carrona download page there were instructions on how to run Furmark, but not this particular video test.

Edited by Andisheh23, 02 October 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:01 AM

Don't worry about W10, the update thing has been stopped (and you can't get it for free anymore).

If you can't get any response out of Windows Update - then that is a problem.

You should post over in the Windows 7 forums with your CBS log so that one of those experts can assist you

Here's how to generate the CBS log (and a couple of things to try to fix it):

There's not many experts at fixing Windows Updates.
I am not one of them.
But the few experts that there are a sorely overworked - so getting a reply will be difficult.
I'll continue to attempt to help here, but please bear with me.

First, please try the Windows Update troubleshooter/fixes listed here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
Windows Update Troubleshooter KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434
Reset Windows Update Components KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Then, if that doesn't fix the Windows Update problem, please do the following 2 things. (copied from here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html ):

Run SFCFix

This free tool of neimiro's creation (see above link) is a very good starting point for the diagnosis and repair of all Windows Update and System File Checker corruptions. We therefore need you to run this tool prior to collecting logfiles.

-  First download and run a copy of the tool from http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe.
        -  Work through any on-screen prompts and then await completion (runtime is approximately 15 minutes).
        -  Once it has finished, if there are any unrepaired corruptions (the tool will notify you if it has succeeded in repairing all corruptions if they're simple in which case we're no longer needed) or unresolved problems with your computer, you need to post us the complete logfile which opens on exit. Simply copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the entire logfile into your new thread (also know as a 'topic'). How to create a new thread is shown later on in this post.

Export CBS folder
NOTE:  This is not for me (I can't read them).  This is in case you decide to post in the OS forums asking for help from the experts. 

-  On Windows 8/10, press the Windows key, type This PC, and press Enter.
        -  On Windows Vista/7, click the Start button then click Computer.
        -  Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
        -  Find and double click on the Logs folder.
        -  Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
        -  Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
        -  Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
        -  A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

As for the first item (SFCFix), just copy and paste into your post as indicated.
For the second item (CBS log), if you'd like it analyzed, start a post in the OS forums, then zip it up and upload it with your next post there (it's not needed in this topic as I can't read it).
If it's too big to upload (or you get an error), just upload it to a free file hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Ensure that it's shared and then post a link to it here.

Drivers should be done in regular Windows - as Safe Mode doesn't support the Windows Installer

But, if you're getting into Safe Mode, but not into regular Windows - then there's another problem.

To figure out the cause, try a clean boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If the system boots without error then, you can re-enable things (a few at a time) in order to find out which causes the BSOD.

Each BSOD should generate a memory dump and a minidump.

So, after each crash, go to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and zip up the contents and upload it with your next post.
If unable to zip it there, copy it to your Desktop and zip it up there.

You don't have to run anything that you don't want to.
I just make suggestions based on my experience.

If you want to run the Video Memory Stress Test, click on the Start button in the lower right corner of it's window.

As with any test like this - monitor your temps and keep an eye on the screen for any problems, also look at the window to see if it shows any errors.

#9 Andisheh23

Andisheh23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

Hey, so I did the clean boot and got a BSOD in regular windows on boot up anyway. Now, I was able to change some permissions on the Minidump folder (couldn't access them at first for some reason) and zip them up for you to look at. Thanks. The right Minidump file should be the one from today I think, as I just got the BSOD a couple of hours ago. I did get a second (separate and unrelated, is not in the Minidump zip I sent you)) BSOD trying to boot into Windows with a low resolution (640x480) hoping that might work since Safe Mode is functioning with a low (800x600) resolution.

Also in regards to the Windows Updates I did take a look at the first two steps, the first of which went to a page with no instructions to fix the issue, and the second which pointed to running a Microsoft FixIt that I did run, and it found some problems and fixed them. Running Windows Update after that though still did nothing. There was a third that asked to change some registry keys, which I did do. I restarted my computer after in Safe Mode with Networking and Windows Update still wouldn't open.

I ran the SFCFix tool but it didn't find any issues after the process finished. Here is the pasted log file that popped up in notepad after completion:

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2016-10-03 12:11:54.361
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2016-10-03 12:13:18.402
----------------------EOF-----------------------

Now, about the Windows Update problem in Safe Mode with Networking, should I just go ahead and message them now on the OS forums or wait to get back on the Minidump?

I will also run the Video Memory Stress Test shortly and post the results.

Attached Files

Edited by Andisheh23, 03 October 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#10 Andisheh23

Andisheh23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

I ran the VMT (Video Memory Stress Test) program that I got off the website and this was the log file after the process ended:

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[10/03/2016 12:23:43 PM] Test started for "Primary Display Driver ()"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
NO PASS COMPLETED

I don't think it even finds my video card since it says Primary Display Driver instead of the name of my Video Card, and the fact its stuck on a low res for testing. It did ask to change the 800x600x32 res it had listed before starting to 640x480x16 for the purposes of the test.

Edited by Andisheh23, 03 October 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#11 Andisheh23

Andisheh23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

I decided in the meantime to go ahead and post a topic in the OS Forums as you suggested regarding Windows Update functionality in Safe Mode.

EDIT: Unfortunately it looks like the moderator would like us to solve our problem here with the BSOD's before I move over there and deal with the Windows Updates. I hope that our BSOD problem is not dependent on Windows Update being solved since it seems I'm not allowed to have two questions going on at the same time for solutions in separate forums.

Edited by Andisheh23, 03 October 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:33 AM

Sorry for the confusion.  In short, the forums don't permit more than one topic at a time.

I suggest we stop working here, and let the Windows Update experts fix the problems with your system

In short, if it wasn't fixed by a clean boot, then it's either a Windows problem or a hardware problem.

As you ran the diagnostics that tends to rule out a hardware problem.

So, start a topic about the Windows Update and see if that fixes things.

If not, then we'll start another one here.

#13 Andisheh23

Andisheh23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

Hey I just saw this... am I supposed to delete this topic or just start one there? I don't want the moderator thinking I'm running two at once.

In regards to the driver fixes and WIndows Update issues, is it alright if I deal with the drivers first even though you mentioned them after the Windows Update problem? I never got an answer on that.

Also was there anything in the Minidump file?

Edited by Andisheh23, 04 October 2016 - 09:53 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

It never hurts to update drivers - so go ahead and do it.

You've seen the post over in the other forums - so we'll just wait and see what happens with the Windows Update issues.

After that is fixed, feel free to come back here and finish fixing the BSOD problems.

I didn't see the Minidump files earlier.

Will run them after the Windows Update repairs

The one that you mentioned was a STOP 0x116 error - which is video related.  We'll deal with that if fixing the Windows Updates doesn't fix the BSOD's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users